It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Opposite of Discriminate?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So, I notice that I tend to give attractive, female waitresses more than the normal 15% gratuity. The normal gratuity in the U.S. is usually considered to be 15%. Since I give MORE to attractive women would that be proscriminating? Although that doesn't appear to be a word.

Just curious how it all works.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Incriminate?

I tip people by how friendly and how efficient they are, not by how they look. But then again, I am an efficiency freak. That still is a sort of discrimination based on job preformance.
edit on 1-8-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That is giving personal favor to a certain group. If you tip unattractive waitresses less, though they have done just as good of a job as the ones you find attractive, that is a form of discrimination.
edit on 1-8-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
So, I notice that I tend to give attractive, female waitresses more than the normal 15% gratuity. The normal gratuity in the U.S. is usually considered to be 15%. Since I give MORE to attractive women would that be proscriminating? Although that doesn't appear to be a word.

More sexism really..

Technically still discriminating, since you are doing something extra for no other reason than her appearance. But I don't know the word for it exactly.

ETA: According to most places these words would be considered the opposite:

equity fairness impartiality justice tolerance indifference

~Tenth
edit on 8/1/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

That is giving personal favor to a certain group. If you tip unattractive waitresses less, though they have done just as good of a job as the ones you find attractive, that is a form of discrimination.

So, if I tip a white male waiter less because I don't find them attractive I am discriminating against him even if I give the normal 15%? So, I can't give more to attractive women? Very strange.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

More sexism really..

Technically still discriminating, since you are doing something extra for no other reason than her appearance. But I don't know the word for it exactly.

~Tenth

Is it sexism if you tip male waiters you find attractive more? I believe you are attracted to males if IIRC.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I tip based on performance. How one looks while serving me food, doesn't really factor into that equation.

But yes, it would be sexist, or some variation of that.

ETA: I"ve certainly done that with bar tenders in my youth, so yep, I was being that way at that time.

~Tenth
edit on 8/1/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

So, if I tip a white male waiter less because I don't find them attractive I am discriminating against him even if I give the normal 15%? So, I can't give more to attractive women? Very strange.

I didn't say can't and you havent broken any laws. You asked for an opinion and I gave one.

eta: this morning I had an appointment downtown. It ended early. My aunt was going to be picking me up. I sought out a place to have coffee. The first place I found was an empty bar. I am still wearing the orthotic boot. It was 8:25 am. They didn't seem ready for customers. I do not remember what the waitress looked like. I tipped that way since she made coffee just for me. If it was a 'really cute guy' tip would have been just the same.
She put cofee on just for me. The coffee cost $1.28. I tipped her $3.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You are not giving more to the attractive waitresses, you are giving less to those you do not find attractive.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

You are not giving more to the attractive waitresses, you are giving less to those you do not find attractive.

Couldn't the fact that a waitress is attractive be 'value added' to my experience?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't have any stats on the subject but I have an opinion.

I would bet that attractive large chested ladies working in bars get bigger tips than fat ugly waitresses. Sex sells.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Couldn't the fact that a waitress is attractive be 'value added' to my experience?

Only if you're sexist...erm..that's the wrong word and I can't think of the right one...

They'd all come out as insults, and that's really not what I'm trying to do.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I don't mean it as an insult to anyone. I just am happy I was able to see an attractive female and I was inclined to give her more money. I am not sure what it is either, but I am not thinking about giving less to others, just more to attractive women. It is all very confusing.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Everybody Poops Discriminates.

It's life. Taller, better looking people will always score higher on some scale than shorter, uglier people.

It is discrimination.

Remember, "discriminating" also means. . . "having or showing refined taste or good judgment."

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I know I tend to get better service from women than my buddy when I go out. I am not sure what that is about, but I think it is probably because he lacks in the attractiveness department.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Everybody Poops Discriminates.

I don't. So 'everybody' would be incorrect.

I have waiters/waitresses/bartenders/food delivery people/ taxi drivers to tip all the time. I don't tip on looks. Some taxi drivers since I have their private number and they show up quickly, I tip more, but that is service-based.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, its not sexism because its not a gender thing, its an attraction thing.

Discrimination seems to be the best label for this

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Especially doesn't mean only. you are treating different based on attraction levels.

a young attractive white woman in western society is the most privileged type of person on earth. they literally can make money just existing.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus I am not sure what that is about, but I think it is probably because he lacks in the attractiveness department.

or you're the sucker spending big tips whenever you see a bit of makeup is probably the real reason

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

it was a warning, not a goal

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Why would you tip them for their looks and not their service? Just curious.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join