It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humpback whales around the globe are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

This is one of the cooler stories I've come across in awhile. Really appreciate you sharing this with us - it raises many questions. They are quite intelligent beings - you've got to wonder if there was a certain, specific "catalyst" that has caused this to take place on such a widespread scale. Absolutely fascinating!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: crazyewok
The humpback / orca war?

ooooooooooooooooo, lol.

orca's are quick and they all have teeth.

The humps need to get the spermies on their side.

Humpies and Spermies? I never knew they did sea based "Are You Being Served?" You live and learn.........any idea what will be replacing Mrs Slocombe's pussy?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Humpbacks eat planktum, not animals.

They're brains are larger than ours and their neo cortex! Just think anytime a human displays altruism, they may have discussions about us, saying we're just animals, and there must be another explanation than suggesting they are displaying whale thoughtform!

Also, they are JEDI, custodians of the planet, and cosmic beings.

I had an experience with Humpback Whale! And woke and touched the screen while hearing dolphin song and said, Yes, Yes, Yes, You will be free! We are here now! I am here now! Then saw myself in a meeting on another planet, with others, discussing Ceteceans.

We're all just animals, and like us, they're mammals. Thats the particular type of body suits we're given in this matrix.

Big Deal on that one!

edit on 1-8-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Makes me wonder if there is some sort of rivalry... I would think this was just a case of "Driving away prey species," but I just recently learned about "Old Tom."

Old Tom was an Orca whale that actually helped whaling fleets by gripping harpoon ropes with his teeth to help tire out and isolate Humpback whales in exchange for being allowed first picking on the humpback corpse. His skeleton is on display in a museum in Australia and you can see where his teeth were ground down to nubs from repetitive action of gripping whaling ropes with his teeth.

Old Tom, The murder whale.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
Makes me wonder if there is some sort of rivalry...

Yeah, there is: orcas eat humpback calves.

It's closer to Lord Humungus & gang vs the veggie whales.

ocdviewer.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

The 'rescuing' thing seems too anthropomorphic! It suggests the humpbacks view the orcas as 'wrong' and the prey as 'victims' to be 'saved.'

They can reason quite well. I don't know if it's "victims" to be "saved" which motivates them, but "screw the orcas", I bet.

Animals is animals. It'll be food-related like the orcas have an impact on the food stocks preferred by the whales.

Orcas eat humpback calves. The humpbacks would prefer them to GTFO---wanting to make life for the orcas difficult in order to drive them away, even when they aren't attacking the humpback calves, is certainly within their cognitive powers.

It takes a higher level cognition to have a theory of mind, namely recognizing that orcas have their own desires (i.e. good feeding) and if we interfere with that, they will be unhappy and go elsewhere.

The original article also says that the humpbacks attack predominantly the pods of orcas which typically eat mammals as opposed to fish---so the humpbacks recognize which type of orcas are danger to them, making the connection between certain orcas eating other mammals to also liking humpback.

And this must also mean that humpbacks know who is a mammal and who is a fish.

edit on 1-8-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slanter
Makes me wonder if there is some sort of rivalry... I would think this was just a case of "Driving away prey species," but I just recently learned about "Old Tom."

Old Tom was an Orca whale that actually helped whaling fleets by gripping harpoon ropes with his teeth to help tire out and isolate Humpback whales in exchange for being allowed first picking on the humpback corpse. His skeleton is on display in a museum in Australia and you can see where his teeth were ground down to nubs from repetitive action of gripping whaling ropes with his teeth.

Old Tom, The murder whale.

Wow, that whale was a jerk.

Makes me feel like maybe Seaworld is doing the ocean a favor.

Truthfully, I have zero problems with zoos, aquariums or circuses so long as animals are fed and housed properly.

Animal rights activists a la PETA get on my nerves.

But, back on topic, I can't say I blame the humpbacks.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

Orcas are like a lot of predators in that they are opportunistic, and they are smart enough to reason how to take advantage of an easy food source.

I wouldn't call them jerks.

For a major predator, injury is a huge risk. Anything they can do to get an easy meal while reducing risk of injury to themselves is an avenue most predators will take. Few can reason well enough to open quite as many opportunities as Orcas and other cetaceans can, but wrangling something as large as a Humpback presents serious risk to life and limb. Can you blame them for figuring out how to exploit an easier method when it presented?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SisterDelirium

Orcas are like a lot of predators in that they are opportunistic, and they are smart enough to reason how to take advantage of an easy food source.

I wouldn't call them jerks.

For a major predator, injury is a huge risk. Anything they can do to get an easy meal while reducing risk of injury to themselves is an avenue most predators will take. Few can reason well enough to open quite as many opportunities as Orcas and other cetaceans can, but wrangling something as large as a Humpback presents serious risk to life and limb. Can you blame them for figuring out how to exploit an easier method when it presented?

I was being silly mostly. I can't blame them , they're animals and food is food. But, if I were a Humpback, I don't think I'd like having orcas around.

The bottom line, nature can be kind of brutal. It isn't all Disney G rated fun in the wild

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Great article except one thing . The title where it says
"Humpback whales around the "GLOBE" are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas"

needs to be changed to .....

"Humpback whales around the "PLAIN" are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join