It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life .. I want mine back please...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yep, life is about living it.
Wise.
Every experience, good and bad has value.
edit on 31-7-2016 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

But, I am willing to give up some luxuries (material) in order to gain some luxuries (personal freedom)

Congratulations, imo, you've woken up, now what?

It can be a rude awakening if it happens late in life. The hubby and I came to the same realization 20+ years ago. We opted for an alternate lifestyle and we've met a lot of others who are doing the same thing.

Imo, it's why so many are moving to Colorado. It's not the pot per se, it's having the freedom to make personal choices. A whole world of alternate choices reveal themselves when you start living/working/socializing outside the box. Job opportunities/small businesses you never knew existed now seem so obvious. Sometimes with little investment/overhead.

Just an example, a few people make a good enough living hauling water to job/construction sites, private homes, livestock etc. Even a valid driver's license can be a great asset in a small town.

You can go completely off the grid/or not or somewhere in between, it's your choice. Every day we see people with their worldly goods moving here to make a fresh start and by golly they're putting their phones down and actually doing it.

Some are living a bit poorly but they're happy/proud of the work they've done. They're like pioneers, it's making me feel better about modern humans. There's always going to be a few a$$ holes/cry babies but for the most part were seeing focused, hard working people.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. Good/bad you're not alone. I suggest finding a small community of folks a lot like you. You wouldn't seem so odd to them, they'd be more accepting of you, more willing to help, hire and befriend you.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Don't get caught up in materialism and money will not be such a big issue and you will not have to work yourself to death. Unfortunately most people all have to have more... more...more. Our economy only works with that concept though. People being in debt paying off interest is the only thing keeping our economy from completely sinking.

For the few of us that are minimalists it works to our advantage. We can survive when the bubble pops and thrive when the bubble inflates. I tell people all the time how broke they make themselves. I tell them to add up their daily expenses. $5 cup of coffee every morning, $10 lunch just to get them started. That's $300 a month for a 20day work week on just two things. People have gotten so lazy with convenience they forgot how to manage money.
edit on 31-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Agreed. Ive also heard told not to waste our entire lives searching for its meaning. Live it.

And that doesnt mean to quit searching though. Knowledge sought should be life-long

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Morningglory

I've been awake as some call it for years..that wasn't the problem..the problem was reprogramming my self. Um...I have been so conditioned by society that I was afraid to let go..many different areas within the current social structure would look down at me for making this decision..but that's ok too.

For me..it was more about the conditioning I have been receiving and trying to break it.

I'm glad that some learned early on and have found a way to take back their lives..you should write a thread on it ..if you haven't already..give hope to the rest of us and maybe help others learn how to do it as well..

Thanks..
Blend57

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Remember you have the freedom of choice, everyday it is yours. Nobody is forcing you to get a job and do it like that, you have just been indoctrinated like the majority of others (including me) to think and live like a slave. To give away your life and make someone's dreams happening.

Well it's a choice in the end, you could live your own dreams, you can set your own goals, you can escape the mediocrity of 9-5 jobs. You can work from home, you can open a business in fields you like and enjoy doing now.

When you are clear about what is it that you don't want, it gives you a great push towards finding what is it that you do love and do it.

I wish you good luck, it's never too late to create the life you always wanted.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Dear lord dude, you have taken a very word out of my head. When I was young, I exchanged some of that youth in trade for cash, a better position in the company, more cash. I thought, long as I have enough to show my girl a good time, have some great memories...20's turned into 30's turned into 40's and fifties are scary close. In my mid thirties I decided I was focusing on "retiring" at 55... I HAVE to. My immune system takes over 100k a year in meds, I'm on limited time. I'm not gonna push it to 67-72 and die before I retire.
It is fuggin awful we sell ourself daily for security, yet prostitution is illegal. Buying a piece of land away from everything and just living life, it sometimes nods boring, but it beats shutting my brain off for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 10 + years. My work history is way longer than that, but the last 10 years has been legal slavery. What has our society become, what has life become.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Shuye

Thank you..it is choice mixed with some luck and most of all deprogramming. As I said, I will never not work, I truly enjoy it. But, I am thinking that maybe if I don't slow down a bit now, I will never have the opportunity to enjoy any of it. So, I chose.. it is done.. and I am a little lost..but I know that I'll find my direction shortly..

Hr2burn

Yes..I am going to take a month off to do some deep thinking and reflection..travel a bit...then focus on what I want to do with the rest of my life. In 25 years I have not taken a real vacation..and I dunno if I can last a full month..but I'm gonna try. I, too, see that life is short and we seem to never be able to enjoy those moments that we should be enjoying..

Always should have and would have..never too much of the "did".. a bit of property and a small house sound wonderful ATM..and I don't mind boring..usually have no problems finding something of interest in anything I do..but we'll see what happens..

Thanks so much for all the replies and support..really, although this is easy for some..it is not so easy for me and I do appreciate all the positive thoughts and kind words..

Thanks,
blend57
edit on 1-8-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Very interesting to read.

I saw all of this coming before I became a man and I'm damn glad for it.

No wife no kids no bills my life just is. No I can't go and travel to nice places or buy new stuff because that requires money but I'll take the feeling I get when I know I can take life at my pace. That I don't have to be awake at a certain time and be at a certain place before whenever. I know a lot of people would think little to nothing of me based on that but I couldn't care less for I think little to nothing of them.

I get to actually enjoy my life and the people I love. Where I'm not breaking my body down for a company that views me as a commodity. Where I'm not fraying the neurons in my brain with stress wondering how ends will meet because I don't care.

Money holds very little power over me. Most cannot say the same.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
corvuscorrax

Buying nice things..that's just it though.. you never have the newest/best/most luxurious thing in this world anymore. Everything moves at such a fast pace..by the time you do buy something..it is already outdated. So, to me there is really no point in doing so.. I try to keep what I have until it is no longer working...

Thanks for your comments/thoughts

blend57

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I worked a job that while only 40 hrs was early early mornings, I ended up (more) overweight, with diabetes and kidney disease. My body just cannot do those 4am shifts anymore, and I knew it was killing me. My next job promised later shifts with 44hr workweeks, OK i thought, but it turned into 50 to 70 hr work weeks. I actually lost 60 lbs because I stopped eating while working 12+ hr shifts, but I also had my first panic attack and near mental breakdown at that job. During the summer us two managers worked 12hr shifts 6 days a week...the one day he had off I worked 14 to 16hrs, the one day I had off he did the same. He called in sick for a few days and I worked almost 2 weeks straight with multiple 16hr shifts...I almost lost my mind...
Now I am in a job that is 40hrs (45 with lunch) and while they gave us a raise, they also pushed us to 45 hrs (50 w/ lunch) and 7am shifts with closing shifts here and there. I am salary so have to sometimes work until midnight or later than come in at 7am.
F that...I'm done, my health is more important, time with my wife is more important

I am hoping to hear back from a county government job that is only part time...I'm a little worried about bills as right now my wife and I make the most money we've ever made and still feel like we can barely make ends meet, but I am sure we can penny pinch wherever we can.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'm not going to sugar coat this but it is yours and everyone elses faults for the problems you see in society. Because you are a slave to desire, greed, envy, and pride you and everyone else who suffers has brought this upon yourselves. You brought it upon yourselves because you have no shred of true reason within you, and you are just starting to realize it.

When you give up all the luxuries you enjoy on a daily basis, all the technologies that make your life easier than humanity has ever had it before then you'll start to understand why you and others suffer.

Nobody forced anyone to live in society. Nobody forced anyone to work for others. You choose to because they have something you desire. The problem isn't the industrial complex, the problem is the greed of common man. If you truly rid yourself of desire for luxury you'd walk away from it all and turn back to mother nature for sustenance as she provides abundantly and generously for all of mans true needs.

Until then try to comprehend why you're ranting out of pure ignorance and hypocrisy. This will offend many but the fact of the matter is, ignorance sees the errors in another while wisdom sees the errors in ourself.

People will change when they cease to find enjoyment in victimizing themselves and villainizing others. People don't do anything unless they get something out of it. Ask yourself why you complain and blame others for your problems, if you start being honest with yourself you'll see that you do it because it makes you feel better to vent your problems. You do it because it makes you feel good, not because you truly care about the well being of others. That's the truth and you know it.
edit on 3-8-2016 by EviLCHiMP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You work; they pay you. That's the contract. You work for yourself; you pay yourself, but you'll likely work harder and longer. Still, being your own boss is really a good idea. The problem is, you were making life choices before you knew you were making them. Did you hate school? Fail to get yourself an education? Not smart enough? Fail to learn a trade? All personal choices that led you to your job. THEN what did you do? Get married, have kids, buy stuff on time? All personal choices that lead inevitably to your present circumstances. You let yourself be manipulated. You did not take control. You didn't understand consequences. And now you don't like it? Duh!

And, yes, because you live in a "civilization," you have to pay the light bill. If you DID NOT live in a civilization, you'd have to make your own light, and you'd already be dead, because without "civilization" the average lifespan is about 28. It was in the past for the majority of our ancestors, and it still is today in places that have no civilization to speak of.

Point is nobody owes you a life. If they did, they'd be your slave. Make better choices, live a better life. That's how it works.
edit on 8/3/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I made good choices..that's why I can afford to travel for a month and take my time finding a job..

Maybe you should not assume so much about an individual..unless you were generalizing..then I apologize for taking that post the wrong way..

Thanks for the response
Blend57

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

No doubt reprogramming is hard, I was a tough sell. Throwing societal expectations out the window doesn't earn any popularity points either. That's why I suggest finding a community of like minded people, makes for an easier transition.

We moved here from the Chicago area. Tbh moving across the US to the middle of nowhere wasn't high on my list of things to do, mass layoffs and crime forced us out.

Colorado was/is a great choice but we had to decide between Denver and rural southern Colorado. We could've found good jobs in Denver and I have family there but it would've been the same rat race we left. Layoffs can happen anywhere/anytime, we wanted to be more self sufficient.

I'm not sure if we realized what that entailed, be careful what you wish for LOL. In hindsight, for us, it was absolutely the right thing to do. As far as making a thread about it, I'm no expert, I only know what makes us happy.

I love your reply to schuyler. We've always been very responsible. We started our new life with absolutely no debt and considerable savings. We still have very little debt.

We've worked our asses off, literally, no weight/blood pressure problems. My hubby runs his own biz. The "fixer upper" country home we bought/suffered through has increased in value 10 fold. We've done ok for a couple of outcast dropouts. We're even still married...to each other. LOL

Don't let anyone deter you, go do what feels right for you and don't look back. Just keep telling yourself there's nothing back there anyway.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Morningglory

You are a success story..hopefully in a month or two I will be able to say the same. It is hard not to fall back into the grind though..already I have a few job offers and it is nice to know that there is something waiting for me if I choose to weave my way back into society..but also I have to be careful not to make choices out of habits..breaking the habits is what I'm trying to do.

I have a few relatives in Colorado..probably one of the places I'm gonna go visit this month..especially since you have mentioned it a few times.

Thank you for the support and sharing your thoughts and success..makes it easier..

Thanks,
blend57

top topics

<< 1   >>

join