It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Active shooter in Tempe, Arizona ‒ police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Law enforcement in Tempe, Arizona are working an active-shooter situation. There was an officer-involved shooting and the suspect is now barricaded in a building, the Tempe Police Department tweeted.
The police officer is okay, the department said.

@TempePolice - Currently working in active situation at rolling Guadalupe. More info shortly

Active shooter in Tempe, Arizona ‒ police

Could be nothing, but posting just in case it becomes serious. Apparently someone was in a shootout with police and barricaded themselves inside a building.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

He probably just ran inside to get away. They call it barricading because nobody wants to go in there after him.
Lock down, shut down, callout the military...

"Man with a gun!" Err, "Active shooter".

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

He probably just ran inside to get away. They call it barricading because nobody wants to go in there after him.

Probably... But we don't know what the building was or if there are hostages.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: intrptr

Probably... But we don't know what the building was or if there are hostages.

Relax, if the alleged shooter isn't muslim I'm not sure many on ATS will be interested, they'll put it down to it being just one of those things. If the shooter is muslim of course it will be a case of war being carried out on American soil, and calls for the head of Obama will be loud.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Incident began at approx. 9:30 AM their time

www.abc15.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There were a string of 8 shootings that they casually linked as a "possible serial killer". Could this be the "person of interest"?

ABC News, Phoenix Cops Searching for Possible Serial Shooter in 7 Deaths.

[ETA: 7 shootings. My bad!]
edit on 27-7-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: one too many in OP

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

A man with a gun who was just shooting at people and has not been apprehended or neutralized in some way IS an active shooter.

Also, if said man is refusing to come out, he has barricaded himself into said place.

What's with the pointless semantics? Like someone said, the situation inside is probably unknown, especially as to whether or not there are innocent people in there with him. You don't just wildly run into a building with so many unknowns after someone who is crazy/desperate/dangerous enough to be shooting after police.

Where did you get your training, TV shows? The movies?

Again, what is the point of your semantics, especially with so many unknowns. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and see what information comes of the situation before spewing implied crap about the officers and how they are conducting themselves?

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Incident over. Suspect captured.

Source.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Relax, if the alleged shooter isn't muslim I'm not sure many on ATS will be interested, they'll put it down to it being just one of those things.

This is the issue for me. This a 50/50 comment, one that is not only ignorant, yet true at the same.

"deny Ignorance"

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

A man with a gun who was just shooting at people and has not been apprehended or neutralized in some way IS an active shooter.

Just tired of the media hype behind anything "gun".

Including here.

You just did it too, ya know... "Man with a gun".

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Well if it wasn't an orangutan with a gun but a human being of the male persuasion than yes "Man with a gun"

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks
a reply to: uncommitted

Relax, if the alleged shooter isn't muslim I'm not sure many on ATS will be interested, they'll put it down to it being just one of those things.

This is the issue for me. This a 50/50 comment, one that is not only ignorant, yet true at the same.

"deny Ignorance"

It is of course ignorant. If the alleged shooter is black then it will be a BLM problem, if the shooter is white and Christian then it will be not really be a big issue to some people. My bad. I'm afraid I'm only posting based on my reflection of large parts of ATS - don't blame me for pointing the mirror.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

Well if it wasn't an orangutan with a gun but a human being of the male persuasion than yes "Man with a gun"

Guilt by association. Man with a gun, gun man, gun crime, gun violence.

All media memes, to associate firearms (proper term) with crime and violence.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I was using what you said in the last paragraph of your original comment to which I replied.

I'm not hyping anything. If there is a male, and he has a gun, then it is a man with a gun. I don't see the hype. I feel like you're looking for hype where there isn't any. The OP actually noted that this could be nothing of major interest and that it was posted...lemme get this exact..."just in case it becomes serious."

Luckily, it didn't. But again, I fail to see the hype in either the originally linked story, or the one to ABCnews by TEOTWAWKIAIFF. Pretty mundane reporting, actually, as have been the comments in this thread.

You're tired of the hype. I'm tired of the fabricated hype. But I'm glad that you made me think of 80s rap because of the word "hype"...I'm off to YouTube!

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I think the point was, not every man with a gun is an "active shooter". That's an msm fear mongering term. There has been gun violence since the invention of guns, but not all of it is terrorist related. Also if he is barricaded in a building, he's probably not actively shooting.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Luckily, it didn't. But again, I fail to see the hype...

Of course you do. Click bait-- active shooter, man with a gun. its the Screaming Headline, the Big story. Hopefully we can stall long enough to circle the news helos overhead, run screaming sirens, show myriads of flashing lights and military armed soldiers with POLICE in day geo across their back running to and for. Lots of file footage for the 24/7 coverage of "Man With A Gun"!

"Fails to see Hype...

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Falcon37

I think the point was, not every man with a gun is an "active shooter". That's an msm fear mongering term.

Well, considering that there is an actual defined term "active shooter," let's review:

An Active Shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearms(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims.

DHS

Now, you see where there is the part of that saying, "... or attempting to kill people in a confined and populate area ...?" When someone shoots at police, they are an active shooter, even if they suddenly stop firing for a bit, as like the definition says, "... there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims." This means that, even though a shooter has stopped firing for a while and barricaded himself in a building while not shooting, he is still considered an "active shooter."

Fear-mongering or not from the MSM, the point is still valid and the term still correct in this situation.

There has been gun violence since the invention of guns, but not all of it is terrorist related. Also if he is barricaded in a building, he's probably not actively shooting.

No one said that he is a terrorist, and your "probably not shooting" comment is pretty naïve, as he can start shooting at any time because he still has the weapon and there is presumably no one in the immediate area in the building that can disarm him. "Probably" is not the metric by which LEOs and other law enforcement perform their duties. "Probably" gets people killed.

Yes, of course I do. I see it logically, instead. Maybe I'm just not conditioned like most people, as I gave up cable a few years back, so I don't follow all of the MSM garbage like most people do.

Regardless, what you think of my understanding of the nuances of the verbiage used is irrelevant to my point, because both of our points are subjective, not objective, and therefore are not based on hard fact (unless you consider my points above...which you should...because they're accurate)--they are opinions on the way words are used. Yours may be right, but not in my case.

Best regards--arguing over these semantics any further is pointless.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The incident is over. Man tried to rob a walgreens and ran. He then barricaded himself in the old folks home and has since died of his wounds

Thank your Divine it wasn't terrorism.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Aug 3rd 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Aug 3rd 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

top topics

join