It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Time Favorite Movies.. Name Yours

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

I've seen all those movies but one,

I can't believe i've never seen The Watchmen, now i'll have to see it!

Thx!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If you've never see this one, you have to watch it.

The Suspense is unnerving, awesome Movie.

EXAM

The Firm

Minority Report

Equilibrium

edit on 8/3/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Pixels

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

I liked this series

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Watchmen is good! Be sure to get the extended version with the animated short bonus movie "Tales of the Black Freighter " (wher eit is included as seperate stand alone, not merged with the main shortened film). Oh, wait, here it is the short (but you have to set the speed to 1.5x for it to even almost sound like Gerard Butler):

Tales of the Black Freighter is a comic book within the Watchmen universe, an example of post-modern Metafiction and comic-within-a-comic that also serves as a foil for the main plot. Issues 23 and 24, comprising the story Marooned, are included within Watchmen itself. They are read by a teenage boy named Bernie, who sits outside a newsstand through all his appearances.
A pirate comic book was conceived by Moore because he and Gibbons thought that since the inhabitants of the Watchmen universe experience superheroes in real life, "they probably wouldn't be at all interested in superhero comics." Gibbons suggested a pirate theme, and Moore agreed because he is "a big Brecht fan": the Black Freighter alludes to the song "Seeräuberjenny" from Brecht's Threepenny Opera. ...

The comic is read by a teenage boy while he sits beside a newsstand, whose proprietor contemplates the latest headlines and discusses them with his customers. This juxtaposition of text and images from the comic-within-a-comic and its framing sequence uses the former to act as a parallel commentary to the latter—which is the plot of Watchmen itself. Specifically, Moore has said that the story of The Black Freighter ends up describing "the story of Ozymandias" (who admits, in his final scene, to having a recurring nightmare resembling a prominent image from The Black Freighter). In addition, the comic can also be seen to relate "to Rorschach and his capture; it relates to the self-marooning of Dr. Manhattan on Mars; it can be used as a counterpoint to all these different parts of the story."
watchmen.wikia.com...

Thriller / quazi-Dystopian: The International (2009)

Surreal / Hunter S. Thompson: Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)

Dystopian / PA: Children of Men (2006)

edit on 3-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
eXistenZ

Pure escapism and a peek into the future of VR gaming.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Pixels

I liked this movie, despite reading the bad critic reviews in advance. They mostly seemed 'pissed' that it "wasn't that funny".

I have noticed at least one other Sandler film of the past few years get a similar treatment.

In both cases my impression was they weren't meant to be proper comedies, but more about Sandler going on and doing other kinds of films now. So perhaps they were 'pissed' afterall, like he's only allowed to make proper comedies.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
MOCKBUSTERS

Suck! But hear me out there is an entertaining silver lining to be reaped from their existence...

Oh noes they are so common today. Asylum Studios being the most guilty. They take the synopsis from too many big budget summer blockbuster type movies and go and make a total bottom budget knock off film, sometimes in advance of or coinciding with the release of the real films, whose titles play on the real film titles names. There's like some bizarre pathology these filmakers follow, which might best be described as their goal being just about to generating clicks, considering not all of these types of films once set in motion picture even hardly live up to the most jist of the films they're supposedly copying!

I'm a big fan of movie trailers, Grindhouse movies trailers in particular. Generally the Grindhouse movies sucked, but the trailers for them didn't. It was part of a total package experience, I suspect.

You squash a crappy exploitation flick down into a 2 minute time frame, over-hype the narrative premise of the whole affair, and here can be real entertainment value in such a things existence... Yet, these Mockbuster films tend to suck so bad even their trailers suck, even in 2016!

But they do actually tend to provide ample entertainment, none the less, if you know where to look: The User Reviews.

Movie reviewer types make the best reviewers of anything! It's a unique emergent art form AND language (kind of like "Legal'ese" or "Patent'ese"). If you love films, but aren't yet much aware of this, I recommend you start taking a look. Of course you can find this element I speak of in many (pro) "critics" reviews, but I feel its even better represented in reading a great many of the user reviews that get published in IMDB (where this concept often takes on a purist form).

A good hint of a prime review usually has some catchy play on words in their review title (often direct to the film title /etc), and this trend typically continues on in the review from the various film concepts / plot devices / etc.

Here's some quick halfarsely gathered examples of Mockbuster user film reviews (each quickly gathered from a different Asylum Studios mockbuster flick or should I say blur):

Low budget tour De farce
Low budget, low quality and low acting skill! I hope this was shot on digital because it would have been a complete waste of celluloid! Special effects worse than most junior school plays. Pure rubbish. No doubt the creators are trying to bamboozle punter into thinking that this is the movie Battleship. Ships and aliens. Doh! Don't waste you time or money of this one! If this doesn't leave you feeling nauseous with disgust then you need to get out more! What a sad use of a fine warship with a proud history. Shameful! Seriously, if you have a choice of root canal treatment or watching this movie, go and see the dentist. This is like drilling without Novocaine. www.imdb.com...

Just...don't
I could do a better movie with my Hot Wheels and Barbies. The plot was so full of holes, it looked like swiss cheese. Where was the advertised Datsun 280Z? Netflix's summary boasted of it, and a revenge theme, which was totally lost. No one did 200 mph. The facts about cars were totally off, you should have at least had a mechanic or 13 year-old car nut on the production staff. The garage was in the "ghetto"...but was stocked and clean. The RX-7 in the garage was a far better car than what the protagonist used in racing...why was it not utilized?? The CGI cars were worse than Need For Speed. If you want a better film, I recommend Pixar's Cars. I could go on, but it'd be a waste of time, like the movie. www.imdb.com...

Well, Marvel's got nothing to worry about...
I caught this on Syfy, and I wish I could make them take it back. The plot centered around Loki trying to destroy the earth by killing Yggdrasill, the tree of life. I don't remember if either Thor or Loki mention it by name; I got the impression they couldn't pronounce actual Nordic terms if their paychecks depended on it. Not only this, but Loki keeps talking about Ragnarok, and it is obvious the writers had no idea what the term means. They would probably also call people in a blimp "the Rapture." Anywhoo, the whole plot requires Loki to steal Thor's hammer. Why this is difficult is never made clear, because Thor is a major beefcake meathead. He sounds like a surfer and spends most of the movie looking like he needs a diaper change. Some woman named Jarnsaxa spoon-feeds him every move, which is amazing because she is practically unintelligible--a fact made even more painful when they do vocal effects and her words could not be deciphered even by CIA software.

I won't spoil the ending, because the director and writer already did that. Suffice it to say that it involves a trip to Hell; not HEL, the Nordic afterlife and the goddess thereof, but basically the Christian Hell--fire, lava, the whole ball of melting wax.

Watch this if you need a good laugh; there isn't an ounce of real heroism or grandeur in the whole mess. My biggest disappointment was Richard Grieco, who can be an effective menace but here comes across as a street punk with a wand and a skin condition. www.imdb.com...

Poor Movie Making At Its Very Best - A must see!!
Nobody likes to admit it, but we all do it. Everyone reduces the speed of their cars to a near crawl to rubberneck across the road the twisted remains of a tragic car crash.

And if you're looking for the movie equivalent of a multiple car pile-up, look no further than 'Battle of Los Angeles' by Asylum Studios. In fact I've actually turned into a bit of a junkie for these spectacularly bad movies by Asylum Studios and am seriously considering buying DVDs of all the movies they've made. If there was an academy award for 'Ballsiest Choice of Movie Title', these guys would win it every year, hands down. 'The Terminators', 'Almighty Thor', 'Alien vs Hunter', '2012:Ice Age', 'The Day The Earth Stopped'. If there was a 'Duping the Public into buying the wrong DVD award', they'd win that too.

The barnyard production values are almost reminiscent of a school play. You could almost picture a school teacher desperately trying to get some enthusiasm from the actors who would rather be doing something else.

The story itself is from the same cookie cutter mold as are most alien invasion movies nowadays. Aliens either want our planet, it's resources, or maybe they've just started receiving the 1st broadcasts of Americas Got Talent and believe that the humane thing to do would be to put us out of our misery.
www.imdb.com...

I love good 'proper' movie reviews! I propose that we insist every political speech be given a proper title, and that they are all given the movie reviewer treatment (assisted by fact checkers) and that this new format take over the op ed spaces in national political media. We are the Society of Spectacle afterall, it seems inherent to me at this point!

For any PC minded folks right now appalled by the Film Bastardizer Shaming these kinds of reviews represent, dig this: These films are total con jobs so grow a pair and let them shame these beacons of backwardsness!
edit on 4-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Loved helping you and everybody else make this possibly the best movie thread anywhere ever (at least outside of cinema community forums).

Now you ought to need to start a mirror thread about documentaries!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Crap.. i was actually trying to avoid that. I actually don't prefer the mockbustering style reviews at all. I will agree in that, it's what the people watching it that should have the most pull. Even Siskel & Ebert, loved their style because they argued for and against the movies they were reviewing. A much more fair way of examining things.

Thankyou for posting though, a very nice write review you did!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Loved helping you and everybody else make this possibly the best movie thread anywhere ever (at least outside of cinema community forums).

Now you ought to need to start a mirror thread about documentaries!

Nice Idea thanks!

I wonder how that will go, There's a few i enjoyed watching that i can think of.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Oh c'mon!

Movie reviews, especially in this purist form cut both ways. They can prop up a good film too. Although they really do seem to take their 'best' form when critiquing a bad film. I see it as motivation for these makers to bring us more movies that aren't a waste of our time, etc. Consider the film title "The Hangover". You had better not mess around making a film with that title! LOL

So then comes along this endless snake oil tide of Mockbuster films, this 'new' category of them that are collectively the worse films ever (which shouldn't even be possible this being the modern era with 100 years of cinema behind us), where these films happen to be total scam material, these 'purist' style reviews play out as a sort of 'divine justice', which when done right happen to be entirely hilarious to read.

When I first took note of the combination above, it was like a shiny neat modern emergent example of creative humanism, or something. Diamonds in the rough!

I guess part of my admiration of the concept is my own use of language. I tend to use REALLY strong language in general (not just vulgarities even, strong wordsand the way I arrange them, in general), you guys in here have no idea hehe, where in this process I love to use 'plays on words', SARCASM, satire, cynicism, power words (I LOVE how they talk in the Spartacus series!), and so on when wielding my own sort of 'Dark Humor English' here I enjoy. I guess I sort of naturally 'perfected' it as my own sort of psychological 'survival mechanism' to knowing how screwed everybody / the world / the future is after everything I learned doing nothing but "IIB" all those years. Now I can find humor to ease the harshest situations, which helps as I've lived a hard life in general, and not be all downtrodden all the time over how screwed everything is (which has only gotten FAR worse with this new SJW social meltdown thing that has triggered).

Seeing these horrible films being perpetrated, films so bad they hardly ever live up to at least being 'so bad they're good', digging thru the stinky coal and finding these highly entertaining purist reviews, for me, is sort of a testament to my whole dark humor approach to the world (which is in truth WAY darker than we hardly ever even discuss in this site). So who knows, maybe adopting the purist movie reviews approach to politics could actually 'save' it/us.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Nice Idea thanks!

I wonder how that will go, There's a few i enjoyed watching that i can think of.

I expect it will out perform this thread! This site is sort of "a documentary" itself!

Me, I know I have / have seen like 1000's of them. Where the most important ones, and there are endless examples, you'll NEVER even see on corporate cable TV. NEVER!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

ok you're on, give me some time to get it going, i expect you to help though

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well said

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just sort of carbon copy it how you did this OP but change it to docu's.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thanks For Asking....

My All Time Favorite Is "Conan The Barbarian" (1982)

m.youtube.com...

I Find/Found What He Tells Conan Is So Friggin True....

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
A Surreal Dystopia:

High Rise (2016)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Checkout

TheTVNetworks.Com...

Free movies
"Algorithm"

new topics

top topics