It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest torrent site's owner arrested, Apple data crucial to investigators

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hardly anyone gets busted in the USA for illegal downloads anymore. The piracy fight came and went with Metallica and Napster (and thus gave birth to countless other options). The masses won that fight. This is one arena where the masses will always win (as long as there is an internet). For better or worse, piracy will prevail (I'm siding with 'better', for so many reasons).

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Are there really people that still use torrents???
Idiocy declines never, as it seems.
Thought that crap is dead.

But if idiocy would decline, we never would have so fasntastic laughs about the not so much thinking people on earth, there would be no torrents anymore, no facebook and all that...

I bet half the members on this site use torrents to download stuff..
edit on 21-7-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

But if idiocy would decline, we never would have so fasntastic laughs about the not so much thinking people on earth, there would be no torrents anymore, no facebook and all that...

And by some of the things wrote on ATS smoke a lot of funny cigarettes

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Australians are some of the worlds most prolific downloaders simply because of 2 things.

1. For decades now Australians have had to put up with waiting sometimes up to a year to watch something that the rest of the world has had access to well before us, shutting us out of any conversations on the topic and making us feel extremely behind on most content.

2. The "Australia Tax" being that we Aussies pay sometimes more than double what the rest of the world pays for content simply because of our geographical location (I'm not lying, look it up).

Do I feel bad for pirating content, based on those reasonings? Nope. There is no reason in todays modern world why we should be waiting and getting charged double what the rest of the world pays. Stuff them. Don't like it? Change the way you give Aussies access to content.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

Yea, I received a few actually, and they said the next one will lead to termination of my services. So I stopped. I just ask my cousin to get me stuff now.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Yea, I received a few actually, and they said the next one will lead to termination of my services. So I stopped. I just ask my cousin to get me stuff now.

What country? Im in Canada and there is no fallow up or termination of services here.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Agreed. If they didn't charge so much, there would be less demand for pirated software.

KAT ran for eight years, and the Department of Justice claims that it receives more than 50 million unique visitors per month and is the 69th most frequently visited website on the internet.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So i am standing outside and a random hog wanders onto my land. He's huge, and I have a license to hunt them in the house, so I shoot and butcher him.

The next day a farmer comes up to me and demands recompense for the pig I killed that was his. Is it my responsibility to check with every farmer in the county before shooting the hog? Or is it their responsibility to keep their products secured?

What if i come home and find an IPod laying in my yard. Is it theft to pick it up and use it even if it still belongs to Best Buy? Or is Best Buy responsible for not leaving their crap laying around unsecured?

And what about how muddy it gets when you realize that Microsoft released Office XP for the whole world to use, just for the sake of securing market share?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Intresting POV, but I dont think TPTB see it that way

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I use to but torrent is so last century. Many years ago. After I got a slap on the hand from my ISP. I quit.

Other means exist for people.
edit on 21-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02

And i inhale

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

originally posted by: imod02

PARTY

And i inhale

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Agreed. If they didn't charge so much, there would be less demand for pirated software.

KAT ran for eight years, and the Department of Justice claims that it receives more than 50 million unique visitors per month and is the 69th most frequently visited website on the internet.

Hell 3d max and light wave go for over $1000 dollars.

Who the hell can afford that ?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Florida, USA my northern friend. They about shoved a boot all the way up there, but were very polite over the phone when doing it lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Florida, USA my northern friend. They about shoved a boot all the way up there, but were very polite over the phone when doing it lol.

Ooo, are you related to Florida Man?

Jk

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Not me. I'm the guy that gets the call to clean and remove all "offending" material from your computer when you get busted, and I charge you to do it. I don't get as many calls as I used to though, which is a good thing, because I get no thrills out of scouring and sanitizing other peoples computers. But if I don't, and you run out of ISP's in your area...no more internet for you.
edit on 7/21/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

He didn't think he could get caught, or that if he was, he would not be extradited to the US for copyright violations.

Stupid, yes, very much so.

But it likely won't hold weight in court as they weren't uploading to Kat servers, it was just a link through domain as far as I understand it.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: Gemwolf

A point to make, the sentences handed out to these people (being at the expense of the tax payer of course) is completely out of touch with reality, I mean murderers and rapists get less time than people involved in online piracy. I would also suggest that one of the main reasons why people turn to illegally downloading torrents is the price of the products, which is also extortion

Murdering or raping a common consumer isn't going to effect their bottom line as much as piracy does. The U.S. judicial system has proven over and over that any justice dispensed is done so in the interest of money and not the lives of the people.

And yet many still hold almost any law in high esteem.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Not only that, but a lot of research suggests that piracy helps sales of other kinds of content such as merchandising and ticket sales at the box office.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
kat will return, perhaps under a new name with new management and new servers, bu it will return. and if not, there is always the bay...or as i like to call it, "tortuga".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join