It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I tell my friend who keeps preaching to me???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I'm protestant, my friend is Catholic. Only that he's like so hardcore. I don't get it. Havn't met many fundamentalist Catholics. But we go out for coffee. We'll be chatting about life. Then he gets into talking about religion, but then it gets SO BAD. Like he practically starts preaching to me.

Also I'm protestant. I know all this. It's not like I don't know any of it. But I guess he figures it's his duty to be all holyer than thou. Just been wondering what I should say to him next time he does that. Like I could say something like "your preaching to the quire" or something. But I really don't know. I don't want to offend the guy either as he's a really good friend of mine.

Like for example, he starts talking about "hell". And he just goes on and on. It's nuts. Like he'll say stuff like "ya like it just scares the crap out of me, that's why I'm trying to be extra good...bla bla bla..." and he talks about it as if he's been there personally. So I'll say to him "well know one's ever been there and came back with a video to show us so you don't really know what's out there". And he really takes offense to that.

See he'll talk about spiritual subjects as if he's seen them or been there. Stuff like heaven, hell, angels, demons, miracles etc etc. He'll talk about them as if he's witnessed them first hand. And I'm not saying they're not as described, but I sorta tend to think at time like "we don't really know what's out there". But that's just my opinion. I still believe in God as it's the most rational explanation to life in my opinion, but I don't feel it's my place to go preaching at anyone either, or try to convince them that Protestantism has "the goods" exclusively on getting to heaven.

See I'm glad that he's so hardcore if that's what he's into but I don't think it's right that he's trying to almost convert me to Catholisism which is the last thing I'd ever do. That's insane as far as I'm concerned. That's why the protestants branched off is they were tired of all the non-sense in the catholic church. But anyway....

I'm just debating what I could say to him next time he goes preaching at me??? Any suggestions???

edit on 17-7-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
As long as you dont live in Ireland you should be ok

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I had a similar friendship. Mine didn't involve religion but the interpersonal dynamic sounds the same. As soon as I discovered that this person, who I thought of and called a friend, truly thought of himself as my superior, the relationship ended.

I don't know you or your situation, but have you ever considered the possibility that your friend is a jerk?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

And he just goes on and on. It's nuts. Like he'll say stuff like "ya like it just scares the crap out of me, that's why I'm trying to be extra good...bla bla bla..."

Poor guy sounds traumatized in need of therapy or intervention. If it were me, I'd try to ease his fear by sharing my own spiritual feelings on the subject, but I"m not you.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Do what i do to Jehovah's Witnesses that knock on my door, close it ( i only get Jehova's knocking, not Muslim, Christian,Hindu etc etc, but they would get the same treatment)

edit on 2016-07-17T06:58:35-05:002016Sun, 17 Jul 2016 06:58:35 -0500bSunday5807America/Chicago166 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

edit on 2016-07-17T07:04:42-05:002016Sun, 17 Jul 2016 07:04:42 -0500bSunday0407America/Chicago167 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Every time he starts talking about it, change the subject. He'll figure it out soon enough that you don't want to partake in such a discussion. One of two things will happen: he will either quit talking about it so much, or he'll get angry that you don't want to talk about it as much as he does. If he gets ticked off, he'll either stop wanting to hang out with you, or he'll confront you about it. If he stops hanging out with you because he refuses to stop talking about it, you might be better off. If he confronts you, just tell him the truth about how you feel.

I had a similar situation with a friend who wanted to complain about her husband to me, nonstop. I mean, that's all she wanted to talk about. I got tired of that being the only subject of conversation, so I started changing the subject - a lot. She got the hint and quit talking about it so much to me. We're still friends.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Just been wondering what I should say to him next time he does that.

"S.T.F.U. or you can drink your coffee by yourself."
Seriously. People who do that need to be told that not everyone wants to hear it and if they can't keep it to themselves, they need to stay home. I'm polite, but firm the first time I tell them. If they persist, I get very rude, very quickly.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

tell them to bugger off.

btw madonna sux!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Thank him for showing you the way and tell him you joined the church of satan

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If the "Friendship" is worth maintaining in your opinion and if they are true friends they'd understand that when you explain to them that, that sort of topic annoys the crap out of you.

Plainly explain/Inform them of it. They should, if truly a friend, knock it off.

Talk about sports, movies etc...

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Friends don't do that.

Everyone has the right to believe and worship however they want. So test the friendship. Say look, I'm your friend but you have to stop going on about religion, its getting to the point that seems to be all your about lately.

If he doesn't stop then he's making his friendship with you dependent on his beliefs.

Detach for a while if he doesn't stop trying to convert you.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Exactly

Nothing wrong with setting healthy boundaries.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

This is one of the reasons why I don't prescribe to any religion. It's simply using fear and repetition to brain wash their followers. When you take notice of the fact there are many different religious beliefs in the world, numerous contradictions, outrageous stories and violent references contained in "holy scriptures," not to mention the basic fact that some scriptures are "hand picked" to conform to a particular religious belief, it simply proves all religions are far from being the "Holy Grail" their believers put their trust in.

We need to ask ourselves, would a loving God be behind a cult of religion that promotes divisiveness, creates fear of condemnation and is a catalyst of world conflicts and violence? It goes against everything each of us can imagine what a peaceful and loving God would represent.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

This seems so weird to me.
I am a Protestant that attends a Catholic church because my children are Catholic.
I am not urged by anyone to convert and the church that we attend is fully aware of my being a United Methodist.
I never even hear 'preaching' of the sort that you are talking about even at Mass. They don't talk about hell.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It sounds like you are too protective of his feelings, and not wanting to offend, patiently enduring his tirades. It might be time to be crystal clear about it and object vocally in the strongest manner. No innuendos, no hinting. If your friendship survives that, then it will go a long way in eliminating having to unwillingly participate in these sermons.

If not, then you were only an audience. You need to be absolutely Clear that these conversations upset and annoy you. And courtesy dictate that he suspend his vocal oratories..

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

And he just goes on and on. It's nuts. Like he'll say stuff like "ya like it just scares the crap out of me, that's why I'm trying to be extra good...bla bla bla..."

Poor guy sounds traumatized in need of therapy or intervention. If it were me, I'd try to ease his fear by sharing my own spiritual feelings on the subject, but I"m not you.

I agree.
I think the person might have some kind of mental issue that could use attention.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Give him a copy of Dawkins' The God Delusion.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Start hanging out with atheists. We never do that #. But then you'd prob become the annoying one.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

If the topic is always the same or if it changes then you need to track down some good source material to share with him . here is a link that might come in handy . ancientworldonline.blogspot.ca... Try and work into your conversations the need to understand what the ancient writers and their audience were thinking , their world view at the time .Today is far removed from back then and their world view was nothing like ours of today . It might take the subject to a place you can both share and discover .

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance

I'm just debating what I could say to him next time he goes preaching at me??? Any suggestions???

People like to talk about things they think about.

So, he thinks you're his friend, with similar interests to him.

Next time, prove you're his friend by asking him to explain the verse Matthew 5:37 to you.

Have a debate about that.

It should fix the problem.

edit on 17-7-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join