It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian replica of Viking ship arrives in eastern Ontario

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

WOW!!!!

And yes, that rigging is impressive. Last fall I made a trip up to Erie to take a cruise on the Brigand Niagara. What was explained to us was it was not only a classroom for the crew, but all the math and engineering thought behind all the rigging. Altho the Captain was quite a sport as were the crew, having a bunch of tourists try to help with pulling this line, setting that sail obviously was a exercise in patience.

Compound that by every pleasure craft having to do "drive-by's" and getting literally in the ships way. At some point I asked couldn't we just start tossing tomato's or something at them cause what they were doing was so dangerous. Had the coast guard been around they could have had a field day handing out citations to the pleasure craft.

Again the Captain showed extreme patience and told us it was something they dealt with routinely, albeit very frustrating.

From what I understand the Draken is also a floating classroom for the crew as well as the public.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Thanks for the link! Fascinating stuff.
Have camped up the Keeweenaw and noticed right away the discrepancy between what "approved" archeologists were saying and what more professional amateur local historians were saying. Will admit at that point my brain fogged over and decided it was a argument I could ignore while on vacation. The peninsula is vastly beautiful and the scenery amazing.

Back at it tho.
I'm pulling for more sites to be found so to me the "official story" isn't done yet. Given the water levels have changed so much I'm betting more sites will be found offshore, as were in Lake Huron. Given the recent finding of a second possible Viking site in Rosee Point NL I'm not closing the book on finding a few more somewhere on the St Lawrence seaway. The evidence will eventually speak for itself, but on the other hand we'd have to be actually looking for more sites and not just stopping with works from the 1800's & 1900's.

Per normal, funding is always an issue.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Looks like the Draken will be in Bay City till Wednesday!

BAY CITY, MI — Maritime enthusiasts have a few more days to take in two of the most popular vessels of the 2016 Bay City Tall Ship Celebration.

The Spanish ship El Galeón Andalucîa and the Draken Harald Hårfagre Viking ship are staying in Bay City through Wednesday, July 20. The Galeon is located on the East Side of the Saginaw River in Wenonah Park; the Viking ship is on the West Side in Veterans Memorial Park.

"El Galeón will be offering deck tours," said Shirley Roberts, executive director of BaySail. "I don't know if Draken will do the same."

Patrons can visit El Galeón for tours from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The cost is $10 for adults, $5 for those younger than 14, and free for children 5 and younger.

The ships' longer stays are in part to help pay for pilotage fees, Roberts said. El Galeón is bound for Chicago, while Draken's next stop is up in the air for the moment.

Now it's getting mysterious, where will the Draken show up next?
LOL!!!

www.mlive.com...

<< 1   >>

join