It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Summer of Storms: A foot of rain floods my town, region under state of emergency!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I know I am not alone in saying that this has been quite the summer of storms. All over the Midwest and other areas are experiencing some unprecedented storms. Here in my neck of the woods, northern Wisconsin, Governor Scott Walker has declared a state of emergency for 8 counties, as over 10 inches of rain fell on Monday night, a foot in some areas, which has led to crazy flooding right here in my hometown of Hayward.

I've spent my whole life here and I've never witnessed flooding here but this is the second time in two years. Back in September of 2014 we had a massive storm rip through and dump 3 inches of rain in an hour. Homes were flooded along a creek that runs through town. That was nothing like this one though. Highways are closed blocking off access to many areas, and in some towns north of here people are actually stranded in their homes because roads are flooded or completely washed away.

The storms and rain that hit Monday night parked along a front right over northern Minnesota and northern Wisconsin and just continued to pound us with massive storms all night long, one right after another, even multiple tornadoes, large hail and damages were reported. Two people lost their lives in the counties north of here because of the flash flooding.

Like I said before, I've never seen anything like it in these parts. The northwoods rarely sees this kind of weather but our storms have been continuous all summer long here, massive in size (covering large areas) and filled with energy doing lots of damages and taking out trees. It's been crazy. My business depends on great weather (I run a food stand operation at fairs and festivals) and every weekend we have been dealing with weather. It's been taking a toll on things.

The rivers and creeks in the area are still rising and more rain is coming today. Not good.

I know we here in the Northwoods are not alone in dealing with these weather events. I've only been watching what you all have been going through over the past couple of years as these events increase in frequency and intensity, but now I share your pain...

Storms ravage Wisconsin roads

edit on 14-7-2016 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It snowed in Seattle on my 5th Halloween 38 years ago. Hasn't snowed on Halloween since.

The weather occasionally changes moods.

Keep procuring emergency goods in case you are isolated for long periods without contact. And be prepared to assist your neighbors.

Roads washing out are because roads aren't meant to last. Floods happen here too. Then we rebuild.

Stay safe and prepared.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I feel and understand your pain. I hope that you are able to stay safe & dry through all of this. West Virginia is still trying to recover from our flooding. We had some areas that got over 10 inches of rain and lost over 20 lives

Drone footage

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I bet nobody predicted that would happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Here is Alberta, Canada, we have had constant thunderstorms for a couple weeks.

I'm not complaining though, I love thunderstorms so much! Brings calmness, rain for the plants and crops, gardens etc..

Last week there was sunny warmth, then a thunder clouds rolled over and poured with some very aggressive thunder and lightning strikes.

I've always loved thunderstorms! Sucks for damaged infrastructure and homes.. we must remember the type of planet we live on, mainly a water planet with unpredictable weather patterns.

To me this storm and rain across the globe almost feels like the earth is cleansing itself. Which is much needed after all the damage we do to her.

It goes both ways. Best wishes to you and yours in regards to being safe during these stormy episodes, hope it clears up.

As for my region, keep on pouring mother earth

edit on 14-7-2016 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Rez, the weather as of late has been really weird. You are getting the storms we use to get here in North Central Indiana years ago. Where i live now, I lived by Lake Michigan before, we would see weather alerts for where I am now. Not so much anymore.

I hope you and yours are safe from the floods. We got 10 inch of rain on the 4th of july about 14 years ago. It was flooded, but, there are small lakes and rivers that took most of it.

Its like the jet stream has moved north, although, it has supposedly moved south....Who knows.

As always, I wish you the best.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Surely

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mrgone
It snowed in Seattle on my 5th Halloween 38 years ago. Hasn't snowed on Halloween since.

The weather occasionally changes moods.

Keep procuring emergency goods in case you are isolated for long periods without contact. And be prepared to assist your neighbors.

Roads washing out are because roads aren't meant to last. Floods happen here too. Then we rebuild.

Stay safe and prepared.

Luckily, we are in the high part of town on a hill. My brother lives a block away, at the bottom of that hill and his basement is collecting water. The ground is so saturated, it has no where to go. There is no standing water around his house right now and yet he's got water covering his basement floor. Crazy.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: thepolish1
Rez, the weather as of late has been really weird. You are getting the storms we use to get here in North Central Indiana years ago. Where i live now, I lived by Lake Michigan before, we would see weather alerts for where I am now. Not so much anymore.

I hope you and yours are safe from the floods. We got 10 inch of rain on the 4th of july about 14 years ago. It was flooded, but, there are small lakes and rivers that took most of it.

Its like the jet stream has moved north, although, it has supposedly moved south....Who knows.

As always, I wish you the best.

Hi ya doin, Polish? We'd be a lot worse here too if it weren't for the many lakes and rivers that are taking it. It's the areas along the rivers and creeks that are flooding and washing out the roadways.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
I feel and understand your pain. I hope that you are able to stay safe & dry through all of this. West Virginia is still trying to recover from our flooding. We had some areas that got over 10 inches of rain and lost over 20 lives

Drone footage

Thanks Martin. Hope you and West Virginia are doing good. The same storm system that dumped on you hit us the day before and we had a ton of trees downed throughout the area. I was watching the news coverage of your disaster.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
be sure to be prepped with emergency or backup generators in case of power outages. Based the photos/vidoes, looks pretty alarming

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: intrptr

Surely

But it does happen on occasion, yeah? Maybe not as severe year to year, as this one here.

Thanks for the look.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I have family in Texas that have been seeing a lot of this as well. Way more rain than usual; in an area where water rationing is the norm, they got well above even normal "good" levels. Flooding isn't uncommon in heavy rains, due to the bedrock being so close to the surface, but it's been a lot more rain this year. Where I am, not too bad so far, and hoping that lasts. Not in a place likely to flood, but plenty of places in town that I go for various reasons are low, which could be a problem.

Stay safe!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I have family in Texas that have been seeing a lot of this as well. Way more rain than usual; in an area where water rationing is the norm, they got well above even normal "good" levels. Flooding isn't uncommon in heavy rains, due to the bedrock being so close to the surface, but it's been a lot more rain this year. Where I am, not too bad so far, and hoping that lasts. Not in a place likely to flood, but plenty of places in town that I go for various reasons are low, which could be a problem.

Stay safe!

Thanks Lady. I've been watching Texas and have to agree, a lot of rain down there. I have a friend lives in Houston and she says the same thing.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Since these floods, the Upper Midwest continues to be hammered. I was in northern Minnesota over the weekend and we got continuous storms. Just south of me got 4 to 7 inches of rain. The ground is so saturated in these parts that there can be a couple of days of 80 degree sunshine and people still have standing ponds on their front yards.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Continue to stay safe. Shifting rocks and hillsides can slide for weeks after a bad rain and are more likely if the rain is still coming.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Yes we got hit very hard here in West Virginia. So many people lost everything. My sons school was condemned. He has to go to school in portable modular units now. This was going to be his first year in middle school.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: apoc36
a reply to: Martin75

Yes we got hit very hard here in West Virginia. So many people lost everything. My sons school was condemned. He has to go to school in portable modular units now. This was going to be his first year in middle school.

Sorry to hear that Apoc. Floods can do incredible damage and not too mention the mold problems if things aren't properly cleaned up.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
Continue to stay safe. Shifting rocks and hillsides can slide for weeks after a bad rain and are more likely if the rain is still coming.

Thanks Martin. You bet, something to think about for sure. Forecasted for storms again Thursday.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
Thanks Lady. I've been watching Texas and have to agree, a lot of rain down there. I have a friend lives in Houston and she says the same thing.

Mine are in SA, and some local flooding is normal, but this year is bizarre! Way more rain than usual! Weird weather, such fun! Saw flooding myself, back in '93 - really NOT fun. We had to evacuate, though we didn't actually lose anything. Some people very close to us had their places under water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join