It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

34 scandals in 4 years - everyone into the cesspool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Our gov't. is full of liars, crooks, and thieves.

I know, I know: not exactly a news flash, is it? But I defy you to read through this article without reaching the same conclusion (not to mention becoming a bit depressed).

The Scandal Sheet

Once upon a time -- about five years ago -- conservative pundits often talked about "scandal fatigue." Remember scandal fatigue? It was an affliction supposedly either turning voters against Democrats or, alternatively, a weariness in the body politic preventing Republicans from pursuing even more grievances against Bill Clinton. By any objective measure, however, after four years of George W. Bush's presidency, the entire nation should be suffering from utter scandal exhaustion.

Consider the raw materials of scandal that this administration has produced: False claims about Iraq's supposed weapons of mass destruction. Torture in Abu Ghraib. The virtually treasonous exposure of a CIA agent by White House officials. And those are just the best-known examples.

After all, how many citizens can name all the ongoing investigations of Halliburton, Vice President Dick Cheney's old firm? Who remembers that the administration illicitly diverted $700 million from Afghanistan to Iraq? Or that, on Capitol Hill, Senate Republicans stole strategy memos from Democrats, while a House Republican said he was offered a bribe during a crucial vote? Even a conscientious citizen cannot be expected to keep score, so Salon has compiled a list.

Some of the highlights:

"5. Halliburton's No-Bid Bonanza

The scandal: In February 2003, Halliburton received a five-year, $7 billion no-bid contract for services in Iraq.

The problem: The Army Corps of Engineers' top contracting officer, Bunnatine Greenhouse, objected to the deal, saying the contract should be the standard one-year length, and that a Halliburton official should not have been present during the discussions."

"11. Money Order: Afghanistan's Missing $700 Million Turns Up in Iraq

The scandal: According to Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack," the Bush administration diverted $700 million in funds from the war in Afghanistan, among other places, to prepare for the Iraq invasion.

The problem: Article I, Section 8, Clause 12 of the U.S. Constitution specifically gives Congress the power "to raise and support armies." And the emergency spending bill passed after Sept. 11, 2001, requires the administration to notify Congress before changing war spending plans. That did not happen."

"16. The Boeing Boondoggle

The scandal: In 2003, the Air Force contracted with Boeing to lease a fleet of refueling tanker planes at an inflated price: $23 billion.

The problem: The deal was put together by a government procurement official, Darleen Druyun, who promptly joined Boeing. Beats using a headhunter."

"22. The Medicare Money Scandal

The scandal: Thomas Scully, Medicare's former administrator, supposedly threatened to fire chief Medicare actuary Richard Foster to prevent him from disclosing the true cost of the 2003 Medicare bill.

The problem: Congress voted on the bill believing it would cost $400 billion over 10 years. The program is more likely to cost $550 billion."

Surely we can do better than this....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thing yet, but from what I know, Cheney and Halliburton are about as dirty as it gets. Cheney is actually receiving deferred annual compensation from Halliburton for the time he was CEO of the company.

All the while, Halliburton has overcharged the U.S. government for everything from fuel to bedding, uniforms and food for the soldiers!

Its more disgusting than words can say.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I don't think any of these are major scandals. When I think of scandal, I think of Bill Clinton. Gennifer Flowers, Whitewater, the Rose Law Firm, Travelgate, Vince Foster, Buddhist Temples, Pardongate and of course Monica all come off the top of my head.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't think any of these are major scandals. When I think of scandal, I think of Bill Clinton. Gennifer Flowers, Whitewater, the Rose Law Firm, Travelgate, Vince Foster, Buddhist Temples, Pardongate and of course Monica all come off the top of my head.

You're forgetting that those were all perception ploys and were vetted via a $70M investigation lead by Ken Starr.

Lied about reasons for WAR?
Misappropriated $millions?
Payola contract awards?

None of those constitue "Major Scandals" in your book, but a marital infidelity does?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
They are indeed big scandals but the administration has been able to get away with it.

One more of the examples of how Mr. Bush is not holding accountable the members of his administration for any wrong doing.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

So in other words, you're more concerned about a law firm's billing issues and a few consensual sexual indiscretions than about a sitting VP peddling influence to the highest bidder.

Oookay....

Clinton was a political whore, but the Bush administration has taken "pay to play" to new heights (or would that be depths?)

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Off the top of my head, here's a couple they missed:

US gives $500 million dollars to Uzbekistans brutal dictatorship in "aid and rent" payments for the US air base in Chanabad, then quietly removes Uzbekistan from the list of countries where freedom of religion is under threat.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I think Uzbekistan has now been put back on the list.

Bush Administration deliberately distorts scientific fact in pursuit of policy aims

www.ucsusa.org...

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

new topics

top topics

join