It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Hugs Project, Hug the Police.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here is a video I came across which is inspiring. I wish BLM, and everyone would take note. It is nice to see things like this, especially in light of recent events. This isn't just about the police, but one thing "they" are trying so hard to avoid, unity.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 11-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Heartwarming and all, but...

I couldn't help thinking one of these police is going to whip out their pistol and execute him, saying "a strange guy approached and assaulted me... he grappled me, trying to pin my arms and was going for my gun and I had no choice."

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

yes, I'd be careful if I was him. though I love the what he us doing , we just aren't in a climate right now for idealism. we need to take pragmati, critical and sensible approach to race relations and police protocols and 'technicalities' governing those protocols.

that guy was at a trump rally not too long ago... the results weren't too favorable.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm white, and even I wouldn't dare walk up to a police officer with my arms out and say, "Want a hug!?"

I saw a bike cop hanging on the corner a bit ago. He didn't seem to be in a hugging mood. I don't think approaching him and offering a free hug would have gone over very well.

...just sayin'

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Haha yep. The officer would of made you show id, then start thinking of ways he could possibly charge you with something.

In my experience, Sheriffs are pretty relaxed, not as stern, and seem to consider your situation from your point of view. Point is they tend to listen more. Highway Patrol I've had both good and bad experiences, same with city police.

During my college years, a big storm had come through, producing 3 tornados (one went right through a mall) that knocked out power to the campus for 2 weeks. It was in the middle of summer so it was blistering hot, especially inside the dorms. Since it was around the 4th of July, people were bored so of course they were setting off some fireworks.

Anyways the city cops showed up, and forced everyone inside those blazing hot dorms. It sucked. I also watched two guys get beaten down for refusing to go inside since it was so hot. Eventually I couldn't take the heat anymore and ran out to get into my car to run the air conditioner so I could catch my breath as it was at that point very difficult to breathe.
Luckily for me, I ran into one of the nice city cops, and since he was parked right at the bottom of the dorms, let me sit in his car to cool down.

So all in all, it really just depends who the officer is, which... well.. is like everything else as everyone is different.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: digitalbluco

I mean, don't get me wrong -- the guy is probably nice and has a wife and two kids or whatever.

He just didn't appear to have "hugs on the mind" ...

I know even I would be suspicious of a stranger offering to give me a hug. I'd probably think the guy was trying to reach for my wallet or something. It's sad, but that's the world we live in.

I suppose if you talked to the police officer a bit first and explained that you were walking around giving hugs to people, and you were wondering if he would like one...that might work.

But just walking up to a police officer on the street corner with your arms outstretched? That might appear like you are trying to go for suicide by cop or something. If he can't hear you say "free hug?!" he might think you want to be shot because your arms are out from your sides.

OMG that would be horrible. "Man shot trying to give hugs". I can see it now:

"All he wanted was to give love, and what he got was shot..."

"Well, he had is arms outstreched and was shouting something at me." The officer said. "He kept advancing after I told him to stop. I couldn't tell what he was yelling because of the traffic, but his outstretched arms indicated he was daring me to fire my pistol".

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Cops in my area (UK Devon and Cornwall Constabulary) are friendly, really chilled out and pose for photo's, let girls wear their helmets for pictures...strangely not boys usually though lol.. and are the least scary people on my local streets. Way outnumbered and often depend on citizens help if they are struggling.

I can't imagine living in a world I read of in the US being actually scared of cops.
...and so many US members call us subjects with no freedom. I'd prefer to be a happy carefree citizen here than one who experiences fear when a cop talks to me.
I spoke to a beat cop recently and he thanked me when I said I'd back him up if he was being beaten to #...he had just told me that he was one of only 3 walking the beat that day in a town with a summer population of 70,000+ people.

Nobody is scared of cops in my region, they are vastly outnumbered, only carry sticks and less than one in ten with tazers, they are friendly.
The US cop situation sounds absolutely horrible, and such differing societies...I'm glad I live where I do.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Leave it to ATS to turn a positive thread about the community and police interacting into something negative...

Why can't we just look at it for what it is. A positive story.
edit on 11-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I hugged a cop years ago, for asking me for ID on my 25th birthday.
He just laughed and peeled me off.

I wouldn't try that in the US though.....scary thought..

top topics

join