It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May set to be PM as Leadsom quits race

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The moment Cameron said he was stepping down it was inevitable Theresa would take over. She talks about “change”, presumably for betterment of course, so let’s see what she can do to fix this mess.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

With Hilary in the game for the Whitehouse, Theresa in the House of Commons and Merkel in the Reichstag.......matriarchy anyone?

Are there any ladies up for election in France, Spain, Italy etc? Canada?

I sense something is afoot, and it doesn't involve sandwiches. (Maybe just witches)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

With Hilary in the game for the Whitehouse, Theresa in the House of Commons and Merkel in the Reichstag.......matriarchy anyone?

I sense something is afoot, and it doesn't involve sandwiches. (Maybe just witches)

Also a challenge to labour leadership from Angela Eagle. One would think a female trend was being put in place to help Hillary

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If the Tories do defect to UKIP en- masse then a general election should be forced through. People vote (rightly or wrongly) for a certain political party, now if you voted Tory in your constituancy and they got in with a comfortable majority then by default you didn't vote for UKIP.
This is a blatant criminal act in a democratic process.
And I honestly believe that the majority of brexiters voted not to ultimately come out of the EU but as a vote of no confidence in this government thinking that it would trigger a general election and they would have another vote to get them out.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So a woman who privatised the police by stealth and handed it over to G4S, who coincidentally is married to the head of G4S, is going to be PM.

I hate right wingers but this is an absolute disaster, so happy to be emigrating.

a reply to: IllegalName

Her husband has realesed over 500 prisoners early by accident and killed 1000 while in police custody - May has failed in every single policy she has attempted and currently hires kfc managers as heads of police as it's cheaper than employing pepople who know the job - this is going to be a disaster that akes Blair look angelic.
edit on 11-7-2016 by bastion because: (no reason given)

originally posted by: crayzeed
If the Tories do defect to UKIP en- masse then a general election should be forced through. People vote (rightly or wrongly) for a certain political party, now if you voted Tory in your constituancy and they got in with a comfortable majority then by default you didn't vote for UKIP.
This is a blatant criminal act in a democratic process.
And I honestly believe that the majority of brexiters voted not to ultimately come out of the EU but as a vote of no confidence in this government thinking that it would trigger a general election and they would have another vote to get them out.

That's the trouble with democracy all the idiots get to vote, left or rightwing, and are so thinck they think protest votes matter/are paid attention too. UKIP have as much chance of getting elected as me getting a blowjob off the pope. They were a one trick pony.
edit on 11-7-2016 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
That was fast!

The UK seems to handle leadership transitions so much more expediently than the US!

Britain is set to get a new prime minister within two days, after a tumultuous two weeks that saw the previous one toppled and several potential replacements felled by political intrigue.

British PM David Cameron to resign this week; Theresa May remains sole candidate
edit on 7/11/16 by BlueAjah because: added word

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah
Are you old enough to remember the rapid transition which deposed Maggie Thatcher?
Yes, letting the representatives make the choice makes it a much less cumbersome procedure.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

The UK seems to handle transitions more expediently than the US!

That's democracy , we get a PM we didn't vote for.

a reply to: SprocketUK
There goes the internet , we'll have a copper on every router.
All praise the dear leader.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
So a woman who privatised the police by stealth and handed it over to G4S, who coincidentally is married to the head of G4S, is going to be PM.

I hate right wingers but this is an absolute disaster, so happy to be emigrating.

Her husband has realesed over 500 prisoners early by accident and killed 1000 while in police custody - May has failed in every single policy she has attempted and currently hires kfc managers as heads of police as it's cheaper than employing pepople who know the job - this is going to be a disaster that akes Blair look angelic.

Her husband isn't the head of G4S.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
That's democracy , we get a PM we didn't vote for.

Every British Prime Minister in history has been one the electorate did not vote for.
That's how the parliamentary system works.
The electorate chooses the M.P.'s, the M.P.'s choose the head of the government.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

MI5 installed black boxes on all uk servers in 2001 called the National Technical Assistance Centre inside MI5s HQ at a cost of £25m. It doen't actually work though so they had to replace it around 2005 and can't sift or store the data yet.

JAK

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

... who coincidentally is married to the head of G4S...

What evidence is there to support this claim?

If you are as concerned over the relationship between government and G4S then to avoid diluting your position through errors and so granting space to those who, for whatever reason, would rather the relationship doesn't come under scrutiny then it would seem of great importance to offer only arguments which stand on solid ground.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

He's a major shareholder - buy UK shareholder law, companies must act in the interests of shareholders, not the public.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The electorate chooses the M.P.'s, the M.P.'s choose the head of the government.

When voting for a PM I and others vote based on the leader and the vision they have for the future , for local issues council elections have more control.

I was just as against Brown being anointed PM as I am May , I suspect I'm not alone.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
In other words, you would like to change the historic British constitution.
Someone has already remarked on how quickly our system works. That's because we've got a less cumbersome process.

edit on 11-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

G4S categorically states: Theresa May’s husband is NOT an officer, director or shareholder

That statement is going to need some validating too as, if correct, it certainly is newsworthy whereas if nothing more than a flimsy, casual passing shot it strengthens those who would speak in defence of government dealings with G4S it could be counterproductive to your apparent concerns.
edit on 11/7/16 by JAK because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

He's a major shareholder - buy UK shareholder law, companies must act in the interests of shareholders, not the public.

Really, how many shares does he hold that make him a major shareholder?

link   
a reply to: JAK

What evidence is there to support this claim?

According to This it came from a blog and is not true.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: woogleuk

Also a challenge to labour leadership from Angela Eagle. One would think a female trend was being put in place to help Hillary

And who has the male trend for the last few centuries been in place to help, or is this only when it's women for reasons I'm not sure I understand?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In other words, you would like to change the historic British constitution.
Someone has already remarked on how quickly our system works. That's because we've got a less cumbersome process.

Democracy does tend to get a bit annoyingly cumbersome.

I for one would very much like it if we did change the 'historic British constitution'; preferably replacing it with an actual constitution.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join