It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the simulation hypothesis held true, what are some things we could do in order to be noticed...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Full tittle was too long : If the simulation hypothesis held true, what are some things we could do in order to be noticed by the programmers?

Let me start off by saying, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I have looked all over ATS and Reddit to find a place to discuss this and it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

So it's safe to assume (or is it?) that if our universe is a simulation, than it has a limited amount of resources to pull from. While that is probably a massive amount of resources, Their would most definitely be thing's we could do to strain them and get noticed. The biggest one is running our own ancestral simulation or other type of high fidelity simulation. I would also think certain sub-atomic experimentation would also cause a system "Lag" so to speak. So my question im posing is, What else would/could we do that would be noticeable to the programmer/scientist/thing(?)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Divide by zero

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Divide by zero

I would imaging that's still an impossibility on the ground level of the universe too. Although, That is nothing but speculation on my part.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Pretty simple, just do what been done for centuries. PRAY!

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
Pretty simple, just do what been done for centuries. PRAY!

You dropped this (ツ)_/¯/s

But seriously

edit on 9-7-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Edit oops double commented >

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Full tittle was too long : If the simulation hypothesis held true, what are some things we could do in order to be noticed by the programmers?

Let me start off by saying, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I have looked all over ATS and Reddit to find a place to discuss this and it doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

So it's safe to assume (or is it?) that if our universe is a simulation, than it has a limited amount of resources to pull from. While that is probably a massive amount of resources, Their would most definitely be thing's we could do to strain them and get noticed. The biggest one is running our own ancestral simulation or other type of high fidelity simulation. I would also think certain sub-atomic experimentation would also cause a system "Lag" so to speak. So my question im posing is, What else would/could we do that would be noticeable to the programmer/scientist/thing(?)

Pretty sure the atomic bomb has been noticed and would cause a rather large disruption in any scenario. Whether actual electric or just the thought that a program would annihilate that many should throw a flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
the only way to be noticed is to do nothing. if were in a simulation and expected to endlessly do menial and repetitive tasks, no matter what, why no t completely throw a curve ball at the simulation algorithms by the entire world just doing absolutely nothing if even for 5 minutes.

this of course would never be able to be acheived, thus almost adding another cement layer to the theory of a simulation. we can't just stop doing everything. its against some odd fundamental law we abide by. every creature on this planet. its impossible for all of us to stop and do nothing but breathe for 5 minutes

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
the only way to be noticed is to do nothing. if were in a simulation and expected to endlessly do menial and repetitive tasks, no matter what, why no t completely throw a curve ball at the simulation algorithms by the entire world just doing absolutely nothing if even for 5 minutes.

this of course would never be able to be acheived, thus almost adding another cement layer to the theory of a simulation. we can't just stop doing everything. its against some odd fundamental law we abide by. every creature on this planet. its impossible for all of us to stop and do nothing but breathe for 5 minutes

Never thought of it like that before. Lack of any input at all, but would that only work if someone was always monitoring it? Seems like setting off some sort of alarm (system usage too high) would work more efficiently.
edit on 9-7-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

Be the biggest celebrity, which is already the most "important" thing in our "civilization".

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

It would work if there is an alarm to signal that the simulation is stalled/stuck.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

We go to sleep for about 8 hours each night.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

presumably, such a simulation would require a sophisticated monitoring system in case we decide to blow each other up. I'm positive, if there were 0 computations for even the equivalent of 5 earth minutes, we would be noticed as at least a glitch.

but the most peculiar concept is, if this test was all it took to determine whether or not we're merely advanced coding, we would not be able to achieve it.

imagine, shutting down Everything. for just a moment and go completely dark. (not literally)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

you should reread the concept and idea

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Figure out where the data stream is coming from and send a message through it.

There's no other way. The fundamental rules of the simulation(physics) determines what we can do here.

If this is a simulation, which is very likely in my opinion, there has to be an imperfection somewhere at the most fundamental levels of our universe that can be observed. We don't have that technology yet, nor do we even know what to look for.

The best thing we can do is recreate the experiment. Make our own simulation, as has probably been done many times before.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

For starters, a program capable of running an expansive universe would no doubt be equipped with a monitoring service set to pick up and alert its creator/s to certain conditions being met. Likely you would be getting its attention first. As to the conditions, it would probably be a slew of them, starting with a great deal of people being gathered to the purpose of being noticed. The following step depends on what it is about being discovered that the creator/s would be worried about. If it was simple discovery, then the research we have done into the subject would have already done so probably, unless we aren't doing research that could produce those results.

Thus the more likely concern would be termination of the program, so an indication of that possibility and intent would be necessary before the alert would be sent to the creator/s.

That's my take on it anyway.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
By it's very nature, they would be aware of everything. Perhaps you mean that they would know that we understand it is a simulation.

But then they should be aware of that fact also.
edit on 7/9/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
By it's very nature, they would be aware of everything. Perhaps you mean that they would know that we understand it is a simulation.

But then they should be aware of that fact also.

Understanding it and doing something to threaten its continuity are two different things.

And of course, being capable of doing something about it is step one.
edit on 7/9/2016 by Jekka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Putting a hack on the simulation from the inside.

Could be many of the thing we do in fact are basically that. Like nuking the world. So there may be certain safe guards in place. We are in here, time to look for the holes.

Of course, unless this run is really important for some data evaluation, they just might reboot. Our simulation may have little meaning. Kinda sad for what humans see as the big picture.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Why would you want to be noticed, that may end the simulation

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join