It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest social altering comment (in wake of Dallas shooting)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Race is social construct.

While Obama and liberals have been discussing transexual bathroom privileges which should of been brought up at a latwr time. I feel that this is relevant to every member in ats. Race is a social construct

Because we deem black, yellow, brown or anything different from social norm our ancestors have created labels, now as such these labels are now dangerous more than ever due to the frail current events in America. With everything going on plus my personal issue finding out that my uncle is dying. I want to tell you this peaceful word
Race is a social construct

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

While Obama and liberals have been discussing transexual bathroom privileges

I hate to go off-topic here, but aren't conservatives the ones who made such a big deal out of the whole bathroom thing?

Anyways, I agree that race is a social construct. Babies don't see skin color, they see friends.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jordan River

Proof?

There are biological differences between races. Maybe that is going to change due to the prevalence of racial mixing as we progress, but for now that is scientific fact.

To be clear I am not saying that any race is more equal than any other. Just stating what I thought was an accepted fact.

I'm sorry about your uncle.
edit on 8-7-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hope your uncle pulls through. If race is a social construct, it is a strong one.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Race is a social construct but not in a way that you mean.

It is human to stick to family or tribes. There is always an us and a them. Race is one way to distinguish us vs them.

www.newsweek.com...

Experiments conducted over many years by social psychologists have revealed how swiftly and decisively people divide into groups and then discriminate in favor of the one to which they belong. Even when the experimenters created the groups arbitrarily, prejudice quickly established itself. Whether groups played for pennies or were divided by their preference for some abstract painter over another, the participants always ranked the out-group below the in-group. They judged their “opponents” to be less likable, less fair, less trustworthy, less competent. The prejudices asserted themselves even when the subjects were told the in-groups and out-groups had been chosen arbitrarily.

You cannot legislate tribalism away - its a human instinct.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I think people have a hierarchy of instinct. This influences greatly their beliefs and values. It appears some people have a tribal or group instinct higher than others. I have very little group instinct. Sports, national pride, even family doesn't much offer favor in my eyes. I value individuals, but am biased all the same.

I can see how these studies consistently show the same results, as the majority do appear to have this group instinct above many others. Though a minority, I think it's fairly sizable for people to be close to where I am all the same. Perhaps 10-20%
edit on 8-7-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Jordan River:

The problem with your statement is that it is too short. You don't elaborate on what you mean by it, and assume that everyone sees the same meaning as you. By the way you state it, it seems as though you are pertaining it to an idea, which it isn't. Race pertains to perceivable differences in genetics between different people's. The social construct you allude to is more to do with culture rather than genetics.

As I have stated on a number of other threads, race does not bring about culture, mindset is what brings about culture. Race and genetics are not differences that impact negatively between different races, only belief systems from which culture arises impact negatively, and sometimes positively. It is an error to associate race and genetics with culture and the mindset by which it comes about. Culture is the social construct...not race.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

That's is good but family is still the base unit of society and civilization. Family is crucial because it protects the security and safety of children.

Families ensure their own survival by extending itself to other families who are chosen based on common values and people who "look" alike.

A collection of families is a tribe. A collection of tribes is a country.

PC at its heart is an attempt to extend families into groups who don't "look like us" and don't always appear to have common values.

Its an attempt to legislate tribalism away.

It will fail because it is against human instinct.

Do we need to re-think this policy? is there another way that would work?

I remember being a member of a union that was collecting money for some noble cause in another country while at the same time striking to try and prevent their jobs from going to the same country.

In short, your tribe is different from my tribe. My tribe is better than yours and we are willing to give you charity. But we will not resources with you that may actually make a difference and make you "look" more like me.

That is globalism!

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Race is a social construct insofar as there is the naive belief that the human race can be divided into races. Yet, the human race is divided into individuals, both physically and logically.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jordan River

While Obama and liberals have been discussing transexual bathroom privileges which should of been brought up at a latwr time. I feel that this is relevant to every member in ats. Race is a social construct

Because we deem black, yellow, brown or anything different from social norm our ancestors have created labels, now as such these labels are now dangerous more than ever due to the frail current events in America. With everything going on plus my personal issue finding out that my uncle is dying. I want to tell you this peaceful word

True but which race keeps pushing their own race agenda? I do not see Asians running around pushing some Asian agenda though the Asians out number the blacks in our country, why is that? Even though Asians were used to build the rail road and not blacks because the job was too dangerous, no real complaint from them.

Actually, middle class main stream blacks are basically like everyone else too, but blacks in areas that are not very good places are the ones who push these agendas. In a place where there is a lot of crime and poor social construct and just happens to be heavily black populated too we see these horrible cases of blacks dying for no cause, but one needs to ask why and I think it has more to do with the social issues that drive it all than the color of skin. The ones that live there do not see that and is it a skin color only reason to them and why they are upset.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
How many times have I stated this on ATS? There is only 1 race - human. All these stupid mythical categories our governments impose on us. That is at root cause of most of the strife of this world today.Ever wonder why they preach the term "diversity" to us instead of "unity" ? Making sure everyone know the differences between themselves and everyone else ? I am human , you are human , we are human (I hope everyone is , no reptilians please) . Yet we have been subdivided into 1000s of different small little groups . Groups that shouldnt matter.
But , what would I know ?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

That's is good but family is still the base unit of society and civilization. Family is crucial because it protects the security and safety of children.

Family is all but dead in the US, and yet society and civilization remain. You are keeping to the old. Family will become more and more irrelevant as we move forward. Challenge your assumption.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Jordan River

True but which race keeps pushing their own race agenda? I do not see Asians running around pushing some Asian agenda though the Asians out number the blacks in our country, why is that? Even though Asians were used to build the rail road and not blacks because the job was too dangerous, no real complaint from them.

Actually, middle class main stream blacks are basically like everyone else too, but blacks in areas that are not very good places are the ones who push these agendas. In a place where there is a lot of crime and poor social construct and just happens to be heavily black populated too we see these horrible cases of blacks dying for no cause, but one needs to ask why and I think it has more to do with the social issues that drive it all than the color of skin. The ones that live there do not see that and is it a skin color only reason to them and why they are upset.

You make a lot of blanket statements, and it makes you come off as ignorant to both the situations of black and asian americans in our country.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

Bill Shakespeare had it right, as he does quite often.

There are superficial differences between groups of people...and differences between the people in those groups. It's what makes us individuals. But in the end, we all bleed red. We all laugh at many of the same things. We all love our kids.

...and when wronged, or have perceived that we've been wronged, sometimes we desire redress.

Rightly, or wrongly, there is a segment of the population that feels wronged--and this needs addressing. Not by political grandstanding such as were seeing on the floor of the House. But by honest people seeking honest solutions. Men and women of goodwill. Until this happens? Well we know what happens, don't we?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
Jordan River:

The problem with your statement is that it is too short. You don't elaborate on what you mean by it, and assume that everyone sees the same meaning as you. By the way you state it, it seems as though you are pertaining it to an idea, which it isn't. Race pertains to perceivable differences in genetics between different people's. The social construct you allude to is more to do with culture rather than genetics.

As I have stated on a number of other threads, race does not bring about culture, mindset is what brings about culture. Race and genetics are not differences that impact negatively between different races, only belief systems from which culture arises impact negatively, and sometimes positively. It is an error to associate race and genetics with culture and the mindset by which it comes about. Culture is the social construct...not race.

No...race is equally a social construct.

Outward appearances aside, the differences between all humans are tiny. It is those who believe in division and superiority based on ethnicity or outward appearances that truly believe that there is a such thing as race because they don't want to be identified with another human being that they believe to be greater than.

At its core, "race" is a construct of white supremacy, and it has infected the world to the point where we now we have people believing that we are somehow severely biologically different when we aren't, or if being white or black or asian or indian makes you better than someone else.

I'm black and I see other black people (pro black, anti establishment types) spouting similar "superiority" rhetoric like white supremacists do and its infuriating because I cannot sit here, lash out at white supremacists, and then turn around and say the same hateful and racist things towards another group of people, it is hypocritical and arrogant.

Nothing makes one man superior to another.

edit on 9-7-2016 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

You make a lot of blanket statements, and it makes you come off as ignorant to both the situations of black and asian americans in our country.

How can you say my statements are blanket when I'm suggesting that areas within our country have poor social structures and many of them are heavily populated by blacks. I'm not saying all or even close to that, but where are the issues before us on a daily bases? We all know that race is a social construct and where I live the race issue is non-existent. My friends and colleagues of many ethnics pretty much do not identify with any of this social unrest we see happening in very specific areas.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I am not Black
I mean, that’s what the world calls me, but it’s not... me
I didn't come out of my mother's womb saying, “Hey everybody, I'm... Black.”
No, I was taught to be black
And you were taught to call me that
Along with whatever you call yourself
It’s just a.... label

See, from birth the world force feeds us these.... labels
And eventually we all swallow them
We digest and accept the labels, never ever doubting them
But there's one problem:
Labels are not you and labels are not me
Labels are just ...labels
But who we truly are is not... skin... deep
See, when I drive my car, no one would ever confuse the car for.... me
Well, when I drive my ....body, why do you confuse me for my... body?
It's.... my ....body....get it? Not me
Let me break it down
See, our bodies are just cars that we operate and drive around
The dealership will call society decided to label mine the "black edition,"
Yours the "Irish" or "White edition"
And with no money down, 0% APR, and no test drive
We were forced to own these cars for the rest of our lives
Forgive me, but I fail to see the logic or pride
In defining myself or judging another by the cars we drive
Because who we truly are is found inside

Listen, I’m not here to tell you how science has concluded that genetically we’re all mixed
And race in the human species doesn't exist
Or how every historian knows that race was invented in the 15th century
To divide people from each other and it has worked perfectly...
No.... I'm not here to lecture
I just want to ask one question
Who would you be if the world never gave you a label?
Never gave you a box to check
Would you be White? Black? Mexican?
Asian? Native American? Middle Eastern? Indian?
No. We would be one; we would be together
No longer living in the error
Of calling human beings Black people or White people
These labels that will forever blind us from seeing a person for who they are
But instead seeing them through the judgmental, prejudicial, artificial filters of who we THINK they are
And when you let an artificial label define yourself
Then, my friend, you have chosen smallness over greatness and minimized your.... self
Confined and divided your .....self from others
And it is an undeniable fact that
When there is division, there will be conflict
And conflict starts wars
There-fore every war has started over labels
It's always us... versus them
So the answer to war, racism, sexism, and every other -ism
Is so simple that every politician has missed it
It’s the labels...
We must rip them off
Isn't it funny how no baby is born racist
Yet, every baby cries when they hear the cries of another
No matter the gender, culture or color
Proving that deep down, we were meant to connect and care for each other
That is our mission, and that it's not my opinion
That is the truth in a world that has sold us fiction
Please listen, labels only distort our vision
Which is why half of those watching this will dismiss it
Or feel resistance and conflicted
But, just remember...
So did the cater-pillar
Before it broke through its shell and became the magnificent butterfly
Well, these labels are our shells and we must do the same thing
So we can finally spread our wings
Human beings were not meant to be slapped with labels like groceries at supermarkets
DNA cannot be regulated by the FDA
We were meant to be free
And only until you remove them all
And stop living and thinking so small
Will we be free to see ourselves and each other for who we....TRULY.... are

www.youtube.com...

edit on 7/9/2016 by HoldMyBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

keep stating it. Keep talking and it won't change a thing.

Until we give people equal opportunity, they will never be members of our tribe. They will never "look" like us.

Black people live in neighbourhoods with schools that offer substandard education programs. How do you expect that they will be "educated" and be able talk like us?

With substandard education, black people will never match our tribes standard of "good" jobs and wages?

Without good jobs, how will they ever live in our neighbourhoods? There has been no slavery in a couple of hundred years, black people are still, in general, the "lower class"?

How can black people join our tribe, when we put their men, their fathers, into jail and leave their mothers to raise their children on welfare? There is little doubt that the drug wars were started to control black people. There is little doubt that black people are given jail sentences for petty crimes that whites would not go to jail for and that black people go to jail longer for the same crimes.

You can talk and talk and talk about tolerance. But until we are willing to leave more black men at home with their families, they cannot progress. We are separating black families! Until we are willing to let them have the same opportunities that we have. There will be no true progress towards letting black people join the "tribe".

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Family is all but dead?

Really???? Who are having and raising the children???

Try and separate mothers from their chldren! Are these children different than every generation before it? Do they not need mothers and fathers?

Its the children who are missing mothers and fathers who are in real trouble.

Name one society where children are raised by strangers that has thrived or even survived.

Once the bond of parenthood is established, it is permanent.

I am sixty and I still call my 40 year old daughter "baby".

I know all about sibling rivalry and how some siblings are actively hated but who opens their doors when you need help?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Family is all but dead?

Really???? Who are having and raising the children???

People. Don't be idiotic. A male and female screwing does not make a family.

Try and separate mothers from their chldren! Are these children different than every generation before it? Do they not need mothers and fathers?

You should ask the majority who come from broken families.

Name one society where children are raised by strangers that has thrived or even survived.

Who said anything about strangers? This is a strawman.

Once the bond of parenthood is established, it is permanent.

That's false. Plenty in this world disown. Children, fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers.

I am sixty [...]

That explains a lot.
edit on 9-7-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join