It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ibuprofen 'disables' Ebola virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

The painkiller ibuprofen and the cancer drug toremifene can disable the Ebola virus, say researchers. Scientists used the UK's national synchrotron facility - Diamond Light Source - to analyse the virus in incredible detail. They revealed the two drugs could bind to the crucial part of Ebola that the virus needs to infect cells. However, the team warns this is just a starting point and more effective drugs need to be researched.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Cool! But...

Both drugs have a relatively weak effect so are unlikely to be useful treatments themselves, as huge, toxic, doses would probably be needed to affect the course of an infection. "It's unlikely these compounds, as they are now, would be useful drugs for Ebola," Prof Stuart said.

Ibuprofen is turning out to be quite an interesting drug...even rivalling aspirin.

I've seen studies which claim it has both bacteriostatic (inhibits bacterial growth) and bactericidal (kills bacteria) effects on certain pathogens.

Regular ibuprofen use also lowers the risk of developing Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

en.wikipedia.org...

As well, of course, as its usual use to treat pain, fever, and inflammation.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Was going to say it's also good for preventing Alzheimer's, but you beat me to it.

Another med that will delay the big A is montelukast.

eta: and serrapeptase.
edit on 1-7-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Just remember the recommended ibupofren dosage ..

Ibuprofen is a pain relieving medication that can be ordered over the counter, without a prescription being needed. This drug is used to ease pain, to control fever and to relieve the swelling caused by injuries and the inflammation caused by rheumatic diseases or musculoskeletal disorders. In most countries, ibuprofen is available over the counter as 200 mg and 400 mg tablets. The dose dependent action of the drug is around 4 to 8 hours. The dose appropriate for adults and children is determined based on the lowest effective known dose for those age groups and the drug should be used for the shortest duration possible.

The recommended daily dose of ibuprofen in adults is 1200 to 1800 mg per day in divided doses. Usually a dose of 600 to 1200 mg per day is sufficient and the total daily dose should not usually exceed 2400 mg. The highest possible dose should only be taken in cases of acute and severe pain and only until the acute pain has been brought under control. Once the acute pain has passed, the dose should be reduced to the usual recommended daily dose. More specific dosage details are given below.

www.news-medical.net...
edit on 1 7 2016 by skywatcher44 because: True dosages..

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Yes. Heed this warning. I seriously don't want to have to show my #ing I'd to buy some God damn otc painkillers. Do not be stupid America. Please read the article before you frantically run out and buy a truckload of ibuprofen.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I really dislike any pain meds. Haven't touched them this century. I do drink 1-3 liters of tea a day.

Green Tea blocks Ebola

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
I really dislike any pain meds. Haven't touched them this century. I do drink 1-3 liters of tea a day.

Green Tea blocks Ebola

Ew, lots of fluorine. And aluminum.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

You have BILLIONS of nanograms over the lifetime.... BILLIONS!!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Need to be aware that there are side effects with too much Ibuprofen use, especially the way it can induce internal bleeding in the bowel and impair blood clotting ability. So read the precautions first but taking just the recommended dose or less for a day or 2 is fairly harmless. It's great for post-operative pain relief and there are stronger versions of it with codeine but they're prescription only, here at least like all codeine medications.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You need bacteria in your body or you won't be healthy and happy.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You need bacteria in your body or you won't be healthy and happy.

Ebola is a virus, not bacteria.
But sure, go and load up on some MRSA if you want to be really happy and healthy.

edit on 7/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I had a severe infection in my right leg. It was bad enough that they drew a Magic Marker line around my leg just below the knee and told me that if the infection passed that line, they were amputating my leg. They started massive doses of IV antibiotics and the infection subsided. I was on the IV antibiotics for three days and then was sent home with oral antibiotics (Keflex and Cipro). They killed all of the bacteria in my digestive system. It took a long time to come back. There were things that I could eat before the infection that I can't eat now. One of the guys at work was making fun of an article about the FDA approving "poop transplants". To me that wasn't funny. On the bright side, I lost about 120 pounds.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

I had a bad experience with them and I thought the same thing until I ruptured my quadriceps tendon. Tore it clean off the kneecap. My Doctor and Physical Therapist proved to me that not taking the pain meds when I needed them would hinder my recovery. They were controlled and closely monitored and I no problems.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Oh for sure I'm not against pain meds when it's a severe condition. I've been fortunate enough to not need them in my adult life. The closest I came was a herniating disk in my back when I had imperfect form on a deadlift. I dealt with moderate/severe pain for a couple of weeks, then learned how to heal it correctly so it was just a dull pain for a few months yet. If it was much worse than that I would have resorted to some pain meds, but I don't take anything for like a headache or small pains or anything. I've learned to be quite sensitive to my bodies needs and adjust things accordingly like this.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

See this is why I think it's pain meds in general, if I take codeine I break out in hives, get a headache, nauseated... I don't think my liver processes it well at all. Kinda feels like a bit of an OD off a standard dose.

I'm weird about pain in general. I've always used tension/pain to focus in on tasks better. The more I pile up the more energies I can channel into productivity. Pain makes me strong, relieving it makes me useless. Hence, why marijuana (well one reason, at least) is really not good for my chemistry.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

Ibuprofen is very much a double-edged sword. Although regular use confers major health benefits, it also significantly increases the risk of equally major health problems, like high blood pressure, heart failure/heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, liver failure. Which, for me, rather cancels out the benefits.

I certainly would not recommend taking this drug on a regular basis unless you have chronic pain and inflammation.

new topics

top topics

join