It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit: Gibraltar in talks with Scotland to stay in EU by the Back Door

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The BBC have spoken to chief minister of Gibraltar , Fabian Picardo , who has confirmed that Scotland and Gibraltar are discussing plans to "strip out" England and Wales from British EU membership , thus allowing them to remain in the EU without having to re-apply .

"I can imagine a situation where some parts of what is today the member state United Kingdom are stripped out and others remain," Mr Picardo told Newsnight.
"That means that we don't have to apply again for access, we simply remain with the access we have today, and those parts that leave are then given a different sort of access, which is negotiated but not necessarily under Article 50," he said, referring to a provision in the Lisbon Treaty that sets out how a member state can voluntarily leave the Union. Nicola Sturgeon confirmed to BBC Scotland that talks are underway with Gibraltar on the matter.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think that must break some European rule but the EU has shown in the past that rules are made to be broken , I wonder if London also has a seat at those talks.

The Earthquake happened now we await the tsunami.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It's all bluster from a politician who wants Scotland to break away from the UK. The nationalist policy is one of division.

The fact is that the British Parliament is the preeminent authority in the UK. Powers are given to Scotland and they have no jurisdiction over foreign policy. The nationalists know this, and know that if they force Westminster's hand they win. It's just crass politics. Gibraltar has a different arrangement being an Overseas Territory.

People who purport to be democratic have a very strange way of showing it, by attempting to challenge a referendum.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This could get interesting. I personally would love to see a Scandinavian trade union with an independent UK. I voted for scottish independence last time but I'm not sure about it if it comes again with Scotland looking to stay in the E.U.

There really is no reason why all country's can't be independent but still share trade and help one another as allies. I really don't like the e.u. becoming a political powerhouse as we all have different cultures and needs. Seeing countries like Greece have to give up certain political powers concerns me. It wouldn't be hard to slowly target each country economically and force each one to give up power for financial rescue.

The E.U. could have been a beautiful thing if it stayed as a trade platform. But having a shared currency with shared interest rates across many countries was never gonna work. The e.u. especially in the political sense has grown at a speed that is too unnatural to call progressive and fundamentally pays no respect to individual cultures or the common man.

Either way I can see interesting times ahead. The economy has been an axe wound covered in cheap band aids for a long time now, so we really are due a big bleed out before we get the arteries stitched back up.

edit on 27-6-2016 by Drinkerofinfinity because: Spelling

edit on 27-6-2016 by Drinkerofinfinity because: Reduced rant size

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The Gibraltar Constitution of 2006 cedes foreign affairs to the government of Great Britain. They have been an overseas territory since 1713 (I think.) What legal case can Gibraltar make for simply leaving? It's not like they were a separate country like Scotland was. If they could leave, could Bath? At a certain point this stuff gets absurd. You may as well say that anyone who voted to leave can leave and anyone who voted to stay can stay. And anyone who didn't vote can't do either one.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

People who purport to be democratic have a very strange way of showing it, by attempting to challenge a referendum.

Attempting to side-step democracy to be able to stay in an undemocratic political union. If nothing else it does show consistency.

edit on 27-6-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The BBC have spoken to chief minister of Gibraltar , Fabian Picardo , who has confirmed that Scotland and Gibraltar are discussing plans to "strip out" England and Wales from British EU membership , thus allowing them to remain in the EU without having to re-apply .

It is first and foremost the UK England - Scotland - Ireland and Wales

Gibraltar is a *British overseas territory* not a part of the UK.

So how can 25% of the UK and a tiny overseas territory *strip out* the majority of

the UK

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
It's all bluster from a politician who wants Scotland to break away from the UK. The nationalist policy is one of division.

The fact is that the British Parliament is the preeminent authority in the UK. Powers are given to Scotland and they have no jurisdiction over foreign policy. The nationalists know this, and know that if they force Westminster's hand they win. It's just crass politics. Gibraltar has a different arrangement being an Overseas Territory.

Do you think leaving the EU isn't a policy of division.

The overwhelming majority in Scotland voted to stay, what is democratic about us being forced to leave?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Millions of Irish people would not appreciate you adding Ireland to the United Kingdom.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
The overwhelming majority in Scotland voted to stay, what is democratic about us being forced to leave?

Because Scotland is part of the UK and the majority have voted to leave the EU. You cannot pick and choose what part of collective democracy you don't want to participate in.

If the people of Scotland want to be out of the UK then they need to vote out. Oh, they just did so and voted to stay.

Seven out of ten people in my pub wanted to stay in the EU. Let's pretend the result does not effect them.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

And majority overall in tne UK voted to leave so what is democratic about staying just because a small part of the UK wanted ro stay?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's like we've cut the head of the monster but the body is still flailing about.
I'm sure their are plenty of ideas floating around but making them work in the real world may be harder than they think , I doubt Spain would allow it.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wasn't the vote from the Scottish mainly based on the troubles for applying for the EU themselves?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Excuse me?
Ireland is not part of the UK.
#ing hell.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thank you.
I don't appreciate it in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Because Scotland is part of the UK and the majority have voted to leave the EU. You cannot pick and choose what part of collective democracy you don't want to participate in.

If the people of Scotland want to be out of the UK then they need to vote out. Oh, they just did so and voted to stay.

Seven out of ten people in my pub wanted to stay in the EU. Let's pretend the result does not effect them.

Read the OP again. This isn't about keeping the whole UK in the EU.

And one of the main arguments used by better together was voting no kept Scotland in the EU. That along with the value of the pound, protecting the oil industry and defence contracts. So glad we stayed to get all these wonderful benefits........

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

And majority overall in tne UK voted to leave so what is democratic about staying just because a small part of the UK wanted ro stay?

Read the OP again, not about keeping whole of UK in the EU.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

Sorry perhaps i should have said the (United Kingdom) UK of GB (Great Britain) and

Northern Ireland.

Is that better? I was not expecting to start a war!

I simply didn't realise that some would find it so offensive not to clarify

north and south .... always just considered the people of Ireland were Irish.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
a reply to: Scallywwagg

a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

Sorry perhaps i should have said the (United Kingdom) UK of GB (Great Britain) and

Northern Ireland.

Is that better? I was not expecting to start a war!

I simply didn't realise that some would find it so offensive not to clarify

north and south .... always just considered the people of Ireland were Irish.

Maybe you should research as to why so many would find it offensive.
Northern Ireland is its own country at this stage.
We are both Irish like north and south are Korean. Bit seriously man... bad enough you sounded ignorant as hell. But your "apology" just shows a fool trying to be smart.

top topics

join