It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinn Fein Calls For Referendum On United Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
ITV

English votes have overturned the democratic will of Northern Ireland. This was a cross community vote in favour of remaining in the EU.

English voters are dragging Northern Ireland out of the EU.

This British Government has forfeited any mandate to represent the economic or political interests of people in Northern Ireland

– Sinn Fein's national chairman Declan Kearney

I don't know nearly enough about the political system in Ireland to know how much weight this will hold and I know nothing about the Northern Ireland political system at all other than they're part of the UK. This is just indicative to me as to how big the fall out of the leave vote could be. Is this just bluster or is it testing the waters or has England broken the Kingdom apart? I guess time will tell.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I have always thought if all the Irish want their country to be united then they should be.

I am not sure though how many will be happy with Sein Fein wanting this. Being English I was amazed that Gerry Adams and especially Malcolm McGuiness were allowed into our parliament because I thought they were reputed to have been involved in a number of murders etc etc. It is a very long time ago though but feelings can run very strong if a loved one has been injured or killed.

Perhaps the uniting of Ireland will put an end to its problems, I hope so.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well, to think that a couple of decades ago Sinn Fein was supporting killings and brutality, often to fellow Irish. At least they have learnt to be civil and have put aside the knee cappings, murders and disappearances.

There is no appetite from the majority in Northern Ireland to join the South. There's no capability for the South to absorb the North. If there is independence, it's about leaving the UK and not joining Eire. Bloody nationalists, all they think about is themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Problem is, most of the Northern Ireland population want to remain in the UK...and I suspect that they want that more than they want to remain in the EU.

But, hey, if I'm wrong, hold a referendum.

I'm easy.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Im from Belfast ther wont be a United ireland were British and proud !!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

There is a correlation between economic succes and being in favour of the EU, as we learn from studying the brexit poll results. And the same study teaches us that as of now there is also a correlation between being part of the UK and being against the EU. Of course, those parts of the UK that are successful would like to remain in the EU. And in the case of Scotland, that actually is an option.

Northern ireland is another story - there is religion involved there. The Protestants will sooner die in the UK than thrive under what they perceive as Catholic government.

edit on 24-6-2016 by ForteanOrg because: he confused UK and EU, and also wnat

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

My ancestry comes from the Irish republic so I can understand the frustration-the stubborn Brits are desperately clinging onto their palliative Commonwealth and is acting like a spoiled toddler that refuses to give up a toy.

"It's mine!"

Sure the religious battles would continue but all the Irish folk want is their country to be theirs and theirs alone. If I set up camp in my neighbors Yard and said "this yard is mine now" would he be happy about it? no; he'd be p!$$!d. Is the British Empire so desperate to avoid fading from obscurity that they need to divide a nation? Methinks yes.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This call should come from anyone OTHER than the political arm of the
IRA

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This call should come from anyone OTHER than the political arm of the
IRA

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
My ancestry comes from the Irish republic so I can understand the frustration-the stubborn Brits are desperately clinging onto their palliative Commonwealth and is acting like a spoiled toddler that refuses to give up a toy.

That comment is historically unfair.
The Liberal government existing in 1914 was more than willing to allow Home Rule to Ireland as a unit. The problem was that the northerners themselves would have been resisting that with armed force. "Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right". The northern counties were separated ONLY because that was what the northern counties wanted.
If the Ulstermen themselves could be persuaded that they could safely live in a reunited Ireland, then England would probably be glad to let them go. (Modern secular England doesn't really understand Ulster Protestantism).

In fact if the Scots decided to separate themselves, an Ulster-Scotland connection would make more sense, logistically, than an Ulster-England connection. The Larne ferries go to Stranraer, not to Holyhead.

edit on 24-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I didn't think either side wanted to be united just wasn't sure if this would change anything.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I suspect a majority might now be in favour. But they'll start killing each other again before it ever happens.

new topics

top topics

join