It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York police deploy helicopters and K-9 units to find teen who skipped $2.75 subway fare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yup you read the subject title right and no it's not a comedy plot read on.

New York police launched an overnight aerial manhunt Monday night in search of a boy who skipped paying $2.75 to ride the subway, the New York Daily News reports. But even after police brought helicopters and scent dogs out to search for him, the 16-year-old ended up turning himself in a few hours later, according to the Daily News. He’s been charged with escape and theft of services. The teenager slipped out through a back door at Transit District 32 headquarters at about 9:45 p.m., where police had brought him for processing, the Daily News reports. He surrendered about 4 and a half hours later at a different station. According to the Daily News, the boy is just one of a string of escaped detainees to leave the New York Police Department embarrassed, angering Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, the Daily News reports. He has vowed to “severely discipline” police officers whose
www.rawstory.com...

Ok I donno which is worst, the incompetent transit cops for allowing their detainees to jail break or the waste of tax payer money to power up a helicopter for a $2;75 ride complete with K-9 unit, only to have the kid surrendered on his own time and leisure, ok I guess they are gonna throw the book at this kid for stealing public service, btw did any Wall St. guy did time or had an APB out on them for stealing billions and breaking the economy..it's not a joke question I really don't remember.
edit on 22-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Great use of tax money.......

Surprised the police didnt shot him too.....

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well that's stupid.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

To be honest he is lucky to be alive and did not get shot.

Nice to see law enforcement are on the ball and have there priority's straight.
edit on 22-6-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Nice find, for $2.75? I bet for all the manpower and helicopter usage this cost over $5000.00. Crazy!
edit on 6 22 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
He probably panicked and ran because he had an illegal 60oz. big gulp in his possession.

Way to prioritize once again NYC

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

My gawd our world is run by utter fools.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Actually he was in custody and being processed and then ESCAPED. They didn't bring the big toys out because he skipped fare. They brought them out because he ESCAPED.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The only thing I can think of to warrant this kind of search effort is that he was also wanted for something else. If not than a pretty big waste of tax payer money. I say the perp and the city split whatever that response cost.

*edit* Arizonaguy's response above mine clears that up.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 22-6-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
Actually he was in custody and being processed and then ESCAPED. They didn't bring the big toys out because he skipped fare. They brought them out because he ESCAPED.

More likely because they were embarrassed and got their asses chewed out by the big dawg, so what did they do ?? massive mannhunt.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

SOP anytime that somebody escapes from custody is to conduct a manhunt. It doesn't matter what the crime is.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
That helicopter is burning JP fuel by the bucket...$1200 an hour to catch a 2.75 thief...this guys got nothing to do and looking to log seat time.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Nice find, for $2.75? I bet for all the manpower and helicopter usage this cost over $5000.00. Crazy!

Bump that price tag up x 5 I reckon... At least.

On another note... So what if the kid bailed. This amount of effort over a petty criminal is just asinine. Teach the peasants a lesson I guess. I'm just baffled honestly.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
That helicopter is burning JP fuel by the bucket...$1200 an hour to catch a 2.75 thief...this guys got nothing to do and looking to log seat time.
Cheers

The second that he escaped from police custody he became a wanted felon on the run, NOT a $2.75 thief.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Yes I bet after all the paperwork the cost was $25,000 sad

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Ok I donno which is worst, the incompetent transit cops for allowing their detainees to jail break or the waste of tax payer money to power up a helicopter for a $2;75 ride complete with K-9 unit, only to have the kid surrendered on his own time and leisure, ok I guess they are gonna throw the book at this kid for stealing public service, btw did any Wall St. guy did time or had an APB out on them for stealing billions and breaking the economy..it's not a joke question I really don't remember.

My sentiments exactly. The police should spend more time catching murderers and rapists than spending tax payer's money for penny theft. Let subway security take care of this. I'm sure this teen isn't the only kid who has found ways to not pay for a subway fair! I'm sure security cameras had the culprit on video.

Our jails are full of non-violent drug addicts and people who should just be fined or be required to pay restitution. Requiring addicts and penny criminals to receive counseling would help remedy these problems instead of making them become an expense on taxpayers. Jailing them with violent criminals only feeds their criminal tendencies.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: Quantum12

Bump that price tag up x 5 I reckon... At least.

On another note... So what if the kid bailed. This amount of effort over a petty criminal is just asinine. Teach the peasants a lesson I guess. I'm just baffled honestly.

So what if he bailed? Where do we draw the line then? A $7 pack of cigs? Getting caught with a $25 bag of weed? Tell me, just WHEN is it acceptable to escape from custody?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
They could send the Army, Navy and Marines down to Wall Street and not come close to rounding up the Filthy Criminals down there.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Yeah, they take that stuff seriously. Here, we buy the rail tickets and just hold on to them unless there's an inspection. If the transit authority catches you without one, you actually get arrested. Full-on handcuffed and everything.

This actually happened to my spouse on the way to work and she got caught without one. She had the money in her hand but didn't have time to get the ticket. They let her off but she was sitting next to a black kid who just got out of jail for doing it. I told her that it's a reminder of her white privilege and she should have been arrested but, instead, the cop flirted with her (she's hot so I can't blame him) and chatted about her job. No K-9 units, no helicopters. Lucky.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
I told her that it's a reminder of her white privilege

What a lucky person to have you as their life partner

top topics

<<   2 >>

join