It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White classmates pulled black girl by the neck with a rope, lawsuit alleges:

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

The parents of a 12-year-old black girl have sued her Texas school after a group of white classmates allegedly wrapped a rope around her neck and “violently jerked” her to the ground, leaving burns in her skin that are documented in graphic photos included in the complaint. The incident, which reportedly left the girl with a “severe and painful” rope cut on her neck, has brought national attention to Live Oak classical school, a largely white private school in Waco, Texas, that has been accused of having a history of bullying problems. The lawsuit filed this week – which seeks damages of $3m for medical bills, physical pain, disfigurement and suffering – alleges that the school was negligent in its failure to protect the girl and in its response to the injuries. The school has denied the allegations, arguing that the incident was an accident. The injuries happened during the sixth-grade class’s overnight campout at the end of April when a group of students began to play with a rope swing hanging from a tree at the Germer Ranch in Blanco County. Three boys surprised the girl, identified by her initials KP, while they were playing, according to the lawsuit.
www.theguardian.com...

Ok whether racism or just plain bullying is involved or not, this does not bode well, I tell you it is very difficult for me not to evoke ugly images of the Jim Crow era, there are times when kids played pranks with rope or noose on Blk kids, this bullying behavior by kids with no experience of the divide that took places 50 and more years before they were born is very troubling, and it's not a stand alone incident , if so it wouldn't be worth mentioning, then there is the school's response.

The school’s principal, Allison Buras, did not investigate whether the incident was intentional, and the school did not notify the girl’s mother, Sandy Rougely, the suit claims.

Really?? like WTF?? they thought this was going to go unnoticed and no questions asked?? ..again for it's difficult not go down that road but I also don't want to be naive like stuff like that don't happen anymore, btw this is a private school, so what difference would it have made?? I don't know ., but folks with elitist tendencies often behave badly to perceived outsiders.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Klik the link to see ugly burn marks I am disgusted, this happened to anyone's child..

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The school has denied the allegations, arguing that the incident was an accident. The injuries happened during the sixth-grade class’s overnight campout at the end of April when a group of students began to play with a rope swing hanging from a tree at the Germer Ranch in Blanco County.

Lol, they were just playing with a "rope swing" and it accidentally got caught "around her neck".

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Wow, that mark looks nasty. Sounds to me like they're a bunch of spoiled brats who don't think their actions will have any consequences. That seems to be the case with a lot of these kids born to rich families who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter.
edit on 6/20/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The school has denied the allegations, arguing that the incident was an accident. The injuries happened during the sixth-grade class’s overnight campout at the end of April when a group of students began to play with a rope swing hanging from a tree at the Germer Ranch in Blanco County.

Lol, they were just playing with a "rope swing" and it accidentally got caught "around her neck".

Read on the bullying was on going according to the lawsuit.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I can Imagine. They noosed her and were dragging her to the tree.

Good thing someone intervened.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I can Imagine. They noosed her and were dragging her to the tree.

Good thing someone intervened.

Yeah but the response of the school is also troubling if the lawyer's claim is true, it smacks of the kind of hushed tone seen in the rapist Brock Turner case.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
What is wrong with people?

If my kids had any part in something like this (Or even stood by and let it happen) I would be mortified.
I can't even to begin to imagine any circumstances in which they would do something like this.

It smacks of something seriously wrong.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Screw compensation...this was a racially aggravated assault. The manner of the physical assault and the circumstances in which it occurred, could not be more obviously connected to the pre-civil rights era of unchecked brutality against persons of colour. The kids who had to do with this barbarity should be rounded up and punished. This is a bloody outrage.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Screw compensation...this was a racially aggravated assault. The manner of the physical assault and the circumstances in which it occurred, could not be more obviously connected to the pre-civil rights era of unchecked brutality against persons of colour. The kids who had to do with this barbarity should be rounded up and punished. This is a bloody outrage.

I feel it in my bones but some will ask for proof of intent, and the school already made it's decision it's not racially motivated, another thing I would want to know the ages of the kids doing the abusing, for I believe the younger the more likely it's accidental , unless taught by adults that that's the thing to do, I can't see if it's racist intent that the rope imagery just popped into their heads, then again what do I know, the noose imagery and blk ppl may very well be known to many youngsters in the information age.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Utterly disgusting and disheartening. I can't imagine what the young lady must have felt.

However, of course, this can't be a racially motivated issue, we're post racial in America.

Anyone that points out the blatant connections to a century of lynching is merely being divisive.

(Or so, some will soon claim I'm sure, oh, and of course, Obama.)

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This story is filled with hyperbole to make it look like a mock lynching.

That is not what happened.

Be careful when you're listening to lawyers.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
This story is filled with hyperbole to make it look like a mock lynching.

That is not what happened.

Be careful when you're listening to lawyers.

Is that the "rope around her neck" part or the "dragging her to a tree" part?

I hate being right.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

“Even if this incident was unintentional, the school’s lack of supervision to let this happen, dismissive and tone deaf response after it happened, and refusal to investigate until legally prompted to, showed an utter disregard for one of the only African American children in the school,” the suit says. “Even ignoring what or who caused this injury, the school’s failure to notify the injured child’s mother is inexcusable and reckless.”

Her injuries to not appear consistent with the claim made by the 12 year old boys that it was a mere accident, she was pushed to the ground, rope became wrapped around her neck, sorry lads, not buying it.

The Guardian article also talks about allegations of prior bullying incidents as well as a comment that the girl was re-enrolled for the following year giving suggestion that she was satisfied with the schools previous bullying resolutions.

So, if I was to make a call I would say that the bullying did (and has) occurred, a story was then concocted to cover the incident due to the severity of the injuries and a realization by the Parents of the girl that if they dropped it, the re-enrollment would be approved. The bullying hasn't stopped so the gloves are off and now we are hearing the story in all it's historic context.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Who said they dragged her to a tree?

I read the whole report and that's not in there at all.

Also keep in mind that all you're getting here is what the lawyer ( the guy trying to get $3 million out of the school) says.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The statement also said the attorney is trying to “exploit” the 100th anniversary “of the lynching of Jesse Washington in Waco.” The statement said the girl’s attorney, Levi McCathern, who also represents the Dallas Cowboys, asked the school to pay $2.7 million or he would make the allegations public.

Blackmail anyone?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

And there's the motive. You know if you don't even see coverage on the local news that it's a nothing story.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Not to put the breaks in the white hate party.

Did anyone look up the racial make up if the class?

How many of the students were black

Any illegal in the class?

Where the kids white or George Zimmerman white

I know, I know, why ask questions, when it feels so good to yell, 'racist'

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

you know if it was done as a intentional thing. i think the girl would know that. i think she would have fought it. i know if a rope wound up around my neck i would be trying to get it off and looking to find out why it was there.
this from your last link.

But the girl told The News that she doesn’t understand how it could have been an accident. When the kids let go of the rope, it fell to the ground, she said. “That’s why I think it was on purpose,” she said, fidgeting with her hands. “I think someone tried to tie it around my neck.”

the other links say just about the same.

notice she didn't say she saw tom, dick and harry place the rope around her neck, and start to drag her. her momma saw a payday.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join