It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First look at Nintendo’s new Zelda game looks epic, lush, and kick-butt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I love the Legend of Zelda series of games. I played the original game on the Nintendo Entertainment System in the mid 80's. Anyway, I just want to share. I know there are some other Zelda heads out there.

This latest game in the series is called: Legend of Zelda-The Breath of the Wild.

I can't wait to play this!

I don't know but this looks like a really good one! What says ATS?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The thing about this trailer it is quite stunning and beautiful. Even with that said it still for some reason is a little to cell shaded to a point and comes off in parts as overtly cartoon. If you get a chance watch the 1 hour run of the game that was done yesterday.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook This looks super cool, but I'm bummed out because I still haven't upgraded to the Wii U.
The graphics look amazing... hopefully they come out with a 3ds version later on.
Thanks for posting! I love the Zelda games.😊

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Looks cool. I played the original (Gold Cassette) and Twilight Princess on Wii.

Twilight Princess looked a lot like this one only with some updates and more toys and stuff. Twilight Princess was one of the best games I've ever played. It was so big and so involved I could hardly believe it.

I think you're probably always safe picking Zelda as a good game to get. They really put a lot of story and depth in to it and have very creative game play and ideas.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Totally stoked about this one! =>

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This seems to be the one thing from the trailer that stuck out as a fun new option.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
When was a Zelda game not badass?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
BoxFulder

Phantom Hourglass. 😛

But yeah, this iteration looks mind fracturing. It's gonna be a beauty.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

The very first one...

Zelda started to get good with "The adventures of Link"

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

Windfarter, Windblather...

That chibified piece of tosh. I hated that so badly that I couldn't play more than an hour of it. Everything about it made me want to throw my console through a wall.

Other than that though, you are absolutely right.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

And on the subject of the new game...

I have looked at a few E3 videos, and it LOOKS gorgeous. The cell shaded appearance of the game is something I really enjoy, as long as the character design is not sappy and childlike, as in Windwaker. The world itself is visually stunning, and appears very responsive. However, there are some things that are concerning me greatly, and they have to do with two main features of the game that do not need to be there.

First of these is the stamina wheel, which dictates how much time you can spend sprinting. This is a Zelda game. It needs a realistic stamina system about as much as I need a uranium enema. One of the things that Ocarina of Time did right, was allow Link to just bomb it around without a care in the world, because he is Link of Hyrule, and he understands not one thing about the feeling of being tired. He understands running about like a maniac, beating things over the head with his sword, dive rolling like a boss, and giving not a single solitary damn for normal things, like eating, sleeping, and nonsense like that. Sure, if his health gets low, he might consider some Lon Lon milk, but other than that, he doesn't care. He's going to kick down doors, rescue princesses, and bring order to the chaos, even if he just had to run from one end of Hyrule to the other, without a break in between.

That's not happening so much in this new game from what I can tell.

Also, I note that object permanence is something the creators of this new game appear to utterly despise, such that they have made weapons and armour in the game breakable objects. This is a level of granularity that a Zelda game does not need. The most crucial item in the game, for any player whose main enjoyment of the game focuses on butchering the enemy with berserker swordplay, is the Master Sword. I have yet to see this item in a video, and so I do not know if the breakable nature of the weapons and armour in this game applies to it. What I would say, is that if the player has to carry items around just to fix or replace his or her weapons, ANY OF THEM, in a bloody Zelda game of all things, then maybe it's time I hung up my control pad for good. It's bad enough that you can't find a first person shooter with a single player storyline worth a crap these days, so I really do not want one of the most important game franchises from my early life, ruined with claptrap like breakable weapons and armour, and a level of realism it did not require.

Don't get me wrong, some games could use a little more reality. I grow tired of adult aimed RPGs where the enemies do not fall apart where they are cut, where heads do not roll, and arms do not fly across the screen, lopped off opponents as they scream, and tire of shooters where bullet impact location has next to no bearing on where a visible wound might be, or if there even is one on the corpse. Zelda is not a franchise which EVER needed that. Zelda needs to be kept silly, out of this world, and totally disconnected from anything approaching or resembling reality, because it is pure and beautiful fantasy.

If I play it, and find these issues anything other than game ruiningly annoying, I will be pleasantly surprised.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
TrueBrit

Dude! Don't even be hatin' on my Windwaker! That game was (is) one of the best in the series. Which is why they re-released it in HD for WiiU.

*wanders off touting the merits of Windwaker*

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

It's like they neutered Link and turned him into a bobble head of himself for Windwaker. There should be no state of existence in which Link is more brain death inducingly cutesy, than he is in the beginning of Ocarina of Time. None. Windwaker is that state.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
TrueBrit

The graphics were very... let's say stylized. Overall through it was a really fun game. I enjoyed the combat a lot and and the map itself was relatively large. Not to mention the sailing itself which, while it can become monotonous, is actually quite fun, I.e. Cannon blasting your enemies to smithereens.

I am stoked, however, with the direction Nintendo is taking the Legend of Zelda. The gameplay is becoming more and more engrossing, the graphics (don't even get me started on the graphics) are gorgeous. I don't know if you played Skyward Sword but it was awesome. Obviously Twilight Princess was phenomenal. Yeah, if it's one thing that I'm glad Nintendo still does well its LoZ.

I need to get a Wii U...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Let's just say, that on Windwaker, we cannot agree. I was so angry about it at one point, that I wanted to find the person who designed the game, and beat them over the head with a copy of a good LoZ game until they understood it correctly, or died from it, with no particular preference as to which occurred first. I takes my Zelda very seriously.

Which brings me on to another point which desperately needs making. Nintendo have GOT to eventually bring out a game changing console. The Wii U does not stack up next to machines released around the same time, and they desperately need to put themselves at the precise same, or better level than the PlayStation or Xbox alternatives, and they need to do it yesterday in my opinion.

Last Nintendo device that I played on that was keeping up with what was going on at the time, was the N64, which to this day is my favourite Nintendo product of all time. What came after it was not as good as it should have been, given the companies incredible reputation for kicking all of the ass in the computer games market.

I know they have diversified their business model, and cowtowed to the aparant inability of their tech guys to build something competitively priced and competitively powerful, but frankly, that will not wash for much longer. As pretty as this new game is, it could be prettier with bang up to date, beefy hardware behind it. In fact, if the platform they were designing for was beefier, it might have changed the whole style of the game. One thing cell animation style graphics tend to lack, is contrast and fine detail. Now, that's not to say that this new game lacks detail in general, but I know for a fact that if the machine it was written for had been closer to a PS4 in terms of raw speed and power, that this game would be even sharper than it looks.

Compromise...those who do it tend to be able to afford to. In my opinion, Nintendo must not continue this habit of having the least beefy thing on the market. They need to launch a death star of a machine that anyone with a birthday coming up can afford to find in their gift pile.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here's the video:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I have only played Zelda on NES, although this new one is making me seriously consider getting the NX. Reminds me of a Bethesda game, in a good way.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OzManHero
This seems to be the one thing from the trailer that stuck out as a fun new option.

I'm looking forward to using it.... but it's not something new....

Sorry TrueBrit (since I know how you feel about WindWaker)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Let's just say, that on Windwaker, we cannot agree. I was so angry about it at one point, that I wanted to find the person who designed the game, and beat them over the head with a copy of a good LoZ game until they understood it correctly, or died from it, with no particular preference as to which occurred first. I takes my Zelda very seriously.

Which brings me on to another point which desperately needs making. Nintendo have GOT to eventually bring out a game changing console. The Wii U does not stack up next to machines released around the same time, and they desperately need to put themselves at the precise same, or better level than the PlayStation or Xbox alternatives, and they need to do it yesterday in my opinion.

Last Nintendo device that I played on that was keeping up with what was going on at the time, was the N64, which to this day is my favourite Nintendo product of all time. What came after it was not as good as it should have been, given the companies incredible reputation for kicking all of the ass in the computer games market.

I know they have diversified their business model, and cowtowed to the aparant inability of their tech guys to build something competitively priced and competitively powerful, but frankly, that will not wash for much longer. As pretty as this new game is, it could be prettier with bang up to date, beefy hardware behind it. In fact, if the platform they were designing for was beefier, it might have changed the whole style of the game. One thing cell animation style graphics tend to lack, is contrast and fine detail. Now, that's not to say that this new game lacks detail in general, but I know for a fact that if the machine it was written for had been closer to a PS4 in terms of raw speed and power, that this game would be even sharper than it looks.

Compromise...those who do it tend to be able to afford to. In my opinion, Nintendo must not continue this habit of having the least beefy thing on the market. They need to launch a death star of a machine that anyone with a birthday coming up can afford to find in their gift pile.

Except for the Wind Waker issue (that I understand but don't agree with) you have perfectly nailed the Nintendo Dillema.

They got away with the Wii because they really did do something different. Although it wasn't powerful for gamers, it really did bring in a LOT of people that never, ever played video games. Even my dad, who was in his sixties at the time, actually went out and purchased one (mostly because he loved Wii Sports).

You're absolutely correct though. The "gimmick" time is done. Time to bring out the big guns. If not, I'm afraid they will go the way of Sega.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoxFulder
When was a Zelda game not badass?

Majora's Mask. There! I said it!

new topics

top topics

join