It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a Religious Faith?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by William

Originally posted by Seekerof
in the sense that atheism is a belief system, as is all religious faith's, like any other

You misunderstand.

Atheism is the "lack of belief" in anything spiritual, mystic, or metaphysical.

Nice dodge...rather elementary though.

Atheists believe in TIME and CHANCE and the MIRACLE that we humans came from a blub of goo

OT thinks they got more FAITH than me

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

That's not the same thing. Creation "scientists" are not scientists, first of all. They don't publish in peer reviewed journals (even the one they started for themselves petered out.) They have no way of testing their hypothesis. They do no research into their own "theory" and spend all of their time trying to debunk Evolution, as if disproving would mean their hypothesis is automatically true. They misrepresent simple scientific laws like the 2nd law of Thermodynamics, and they go on record in court as believing Creationism is as scientific as Astrology.

Secondly, not all proponents of Evolution are atheists. Most are, but there is no reason to conflate the two.

To the poster who asked what atheists believe, I'm stunned you have to ask. I believe in what can be seen, perceived, measured, and experienced. I don't believe in any god in the same way that I don't believe in Santa. I suppose that, technically, I'm agnostic about Santa because I can't think of a way to disprove his existence, and the same is true of gods. But to say I'm sitting on the fence about whether or not Santa is real would be silly - the resounding lack of evidence coupled with common sense makes me comfortable saying "There is no Santa." I feel the same degree of comfort saying this about your god, and all the others.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Yes, it is. They have meetings, writings, leaders, dues and an agenda. They differ from other religions only in the sense that instead of a diety, they have nothing.

Its a particularly annoying religioius faith as well...because unlike all the other religions I can say without doubt that it is wrong.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I argue that atheism is much an article of faith and belief that religion is.

Why? Simply put the same amount of proof exists to disprove the existence of a God as there is to prove there is....i.e. zip...nada...none...

...like the old saying goes the absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Spirituality is something different however since you do not have to believe in a God to be spiritual...all that is required is awe and gratitude.

To quote Rilke:

It is breathtaking just to be here.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekerof

You are trying to use the same old religious cliche that this guy brought up:
www.youtube.com...

"Does it take more faith to disbelieve the claims about Big-foot than it does to believe in Big-foot?"

They cut out the "exciting" ending. This call came in after the first guy in the next video, and managed to hold on alittle longer, but the end result was the same LOL :
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-7-2009 by makinho21]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Atheists believe in TIME and CHANCE and the MIRACLE that we humans came from a blub of goo...

That 'blub of goo' you disparage is simple chemistry.

TIME is correct. CHANCE? That is the crux of the issue, OldThinker.

There is a far, far greater "chance" of chemistry doing its thing, than some magical being that may or may not even exist.

BUT, you also just demonstrated the anthropomorphic-centered fallacy, i.e., everything is all about US, we Humans!!!

The overwhelming abundance of information points to a very old Earth, with a vast multitude of lifeforms that have existed long, long before the appearance of anything even remotely 'human-like'.

What we are struggling with, and this is a fairly recent development in Human evolution, is the realization, and growth, away from childhood fantasies and illogical beliefs. Rationality and understanding of science, and scientific principles that are repeatedly demonstrable will trump 'fantasy'. It does not, therefore, require "faith" to understand the reality of science.

And also, "atheism" is misunderstood, and bandied about as almost a curse word. It doesn't have to be that way.

The rejection of a contemporary "god" image is receiving the most vitriol and angst, here. SO, it is the "faithful" who feel threatened, and are attempting to turn that anger outward. A far more reasonable approach is to simply admit that there is no way for any one human, or group of humans, to have the "answer". Far better to investigate the 'unknown' instead, and remain open to all the greater possibilities --- the 'god' of the Jewish, Christian or Muslim (or any, for that matter) mainstream religions of today is simply too small, too insignificant to warrant any recognition whatsoever. Too small, the Mind of Man, who have created the 'gods'.

I was going to add a YT video or two, but why? One can search for them on their own. There are plenty on the chemistry of the early Earth, and how life could have begun, as well as a critical look into the logical fallacies of modern religions --- the "Why Won't God Heal Amputees" is a goody.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I think that basically says it all.... They are taking the biggest risk imaginable, literally gambling eternity on a unprovable proposition. All taken on utter blind faith. I just don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Atheists don't want to say that what they think is "belief" because it's much too close to "faith". I don't know if this has been thoroughly discussed yet but:

Belief:

dictionary.reference.com...

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

Faith:

dictionary.reference.com...

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

Pretty close, just minus the 'God' Part.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
and don't get me started on "religion"!

lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Atheists believe in TIME and CHANCE and the MIRACLE that we humans came from a blub of goo...

That 'blub of goo' you disparage is simple chemistry.

There is absolutely nothing funnier....to OT...than a smart man/woman articulating a stupid idea....

Pls....explain this CHEMISTRY????

And who got it there??????

Your argument WW, is a desparate attempt to justify the life you want...nothing more...

Let's put 20 more yrs on it? You ready big boy?

Why are you rejecting... www.greatcom.org... your answers are there....

As, the en.wikipedia.org... founder says..."I guarantee it"!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
and don't get me started on religion

pls....

pls....

start that on OT....

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Big....

GREAT VID!!!!!!

Thank you for posting....

OT doubts the typical atheist will view....TOO MUCH CONVICTION man....

OT

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Pls....explain this CHEMISTRY????

It's better if this guy does it.

If you reject science, then...?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

WW, well at least you stepped up!!!

Nice vid, seen it before...have you really thought the premise though?

Come on man

Certainly you don't believe this young man...no logic

OT wants your answer , not some CANNED Vid...ok?

OT

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

WW, do you know who I am? Look through the profile....find the stuff on the occupation....

I ate the SCIENTIFIC METHOD for lunch...for more than you know....

OT

Late at night...when no one is around...think this thru....

You'll see

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join