It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this life about anyway????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: lavatrance

I think it is a classroom to temper soul or your essence.

I know that without God and an immortal soul it would be a pointless, empty existence. I don't care what you believe, but believe in SOMETHING. People that believe in nothing live an empty, pointless life.

Souls do not exist and life is pointless. Sad but true.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Your life means what you make it mean. Stop looking for someone else's "Truth" and make your own. Stop looking for someone to give you the answers and make your own answer. Stop looking to religion for some kind of inspiration. Let your desire for a better, happier life be your inspiration.
If you sit around feeling sorry for yourself, waiting for someone to tell you which way to go, you're going to go nowhere.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
a reply to: Metallicus

Why is it SO IMPORTANT to believe in something???

Because I don't believe life is completely pointless and if I did I wouldn't bother with it when I could just opt to be 'nothing'.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Imo,it's about learning,and being enlightened.Basically it's a test by god above,or whatever you believe in.So with that saying I'm all in for the long haul,and try to be productive/have fun while I'm on this planet...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

originally posted by: Leonidas
It is about getting your genes onto the next round. That is it. The rest is noise and nuance.

I agree, that is what life is centered around, but what is the point in that?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So you you just pick some arbitrary thing to believe in?

Shouldn't what you believe in be true?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Exactly, we can't ever be good enough. Being good enough isn't the point because Jesus already died for us and saved us from our sins. So, we are supposed to have faith in that and try to live like Jesus did. Nobody is perfect. But life is a series of decisions. If you make the right choice--the one that is morally good--then you will be rewarded for that. And the opposite is true if you make the wrong choice for selfish or evil reasons. That's why you should listen to your moral compass/Holy Spirit. Life is a test. That is all. Use your gifts and make something fruitful. Love everyone. Love goodness. Hate evil. Don't hate people.

I'm a Christian too. And I am aware as well--always have been. Thanks to God. PM me if you'd like to talk.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

ya well I won't reign on your parade. I do believe the bible and I do believe in God. My only thought is that at least at this point in time I feel like I'm going at it more on my own than relying on anyone else. Because from what I can see there is no one else supporting me. And maybe in some general sense, yes, God is. Such as like I have good health, sound mind, creativity, etc etc. Stuff to use to work toward future goals and dreams, but I don't get the sense that anyone's gonna show up to help me or do the work for me of acheiving my dreams and goals in life. If it's gonna be it's up to me. Like the garden won't grow on it's own. Nor will just praying about it. Planting the seeds and watering them is what is needed first and foremost.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot
It's just accidental DNA desperately trying to survive. Nothing more.

wow lot of hope in that. Why even get out of bed if that's what you believe

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot

originally posted by: Metallicus

I think it is a classroom to temper soul or your essence.

I know that without God and an immortal soul it would be a pointless, empty existence. I don't care what you believe, but believe in SOMETHING. People that believe in nothing live an empty, pointless life.

Souls do not exist and life is pointless. Sad but true.

you don't know that

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Your life means what you make it mean. Stop looking for someone else's "Truth" and make your own. Stop looking for someone to give you the answers and make your own answer. Stop looking to religion for some kind of inspiration. Let your desire for a better, happier life be your inspiration.
If you sit around feeling sorry for yourself, waiting for someone to tell you which way to go, you're going to go nowhere.

good advice

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

Exactly, we can't ever be good enough. Being good enough isn't the point because Jesus already died for us and saved us from our sins. So, we are supposed to have faith in that and try to live like Jesus did. Nobody is perfect. But life is a series of decisions. If you make the right choice--the one that is morally good--then you will be rewarded for that. And the opposite is true if you make the wrong choice for selfish or evil reasons. That's why you should listen to your moral compass/Holy Spirit. Life is a test. That is all. Use your gifts and make something fruitful. Love everyone. Love goodness. Hate evil. Don't hate people.

I'm a Christian too. And I am aware as well--always have been. Thanks to God. PM me if you'd like to talk.

But you don't always know what the right answer is in various situations. There's so much grey area out there. Lots of necessary evils. Lots of compremises. Lots of situations where you need moral flexibility to cope. Like say you're some kind of scientist. Do you poison the water supply with chemicals (ie fouride, clorine) to hope that it will remove deadly water spread pathegons? Meanwhile harming the masses, or do you allow for a clean water source, so you don't poison people but you meanwhile put them at risk of another virus outbreak. What is the right answer? There might not be a right answer. These situations are a lot more common than people want to admit.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Often I've thought this life is about doing something while you're alive that you end up leaving to the world. ie: you create the next iphone, movie, song, art etc etc. Something you leave behind for future generations. And that is an important part of you being here.

The only thing I was kinda thinking that would be probably a pretty good idea is just to try and get out there and see more of the world while I can. Beyond that nothing really seems to matter that much.

But anyway, what do you think life is about? or what should one be considering or thinking about in that department???

From what the Dalai Lama says, life is about happiness. Following a path of doing no harm, and offering help to others, offering happiness to others will create a true happiness in your soul. Life is a blessing, and the best way to live it is to spread happiness without harm. Be generous when you can. Be aware of your actions, your words and your deeds. Do good with expecting no recognition and no reward. This is what life is about. Making your mark by "paying it forward" as it were.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Like others already stated, maybe the purpose of life is to seek fulfillment (for the individual and society).

In a sense, it is not voluntary, it is demanded by the nature of your existence.

But even in that, there is the - curve ball.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Forget all this new age non sense!

Life is one big TEST!

How do you handle yourself in this daily struggle and what type of decisions do you make.

Have you been able to master your senses and emotions.

Are you there for those who need help or do you ignore them and walk away?

Are you the one who stands there filming someone in need on your cellphone or are you the type to lend a helping hand?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
When I was a teenager, I thought that the meaning of life was simply to have children and teach them to be good people, however I no longer believe this to be the main meaning; because then what does that mean for those whom do not or cannot have children? I do not believe that their lives are in vain.

When you step back and look at the big (REALLY big) picture, what you leave behind is not your progeny (although to some extent yes), and not your material creations - which as you've stated, will eventually be lost to the annals of history.

What one does leave behind, are the echoes of how you treated the people around you, not just your family, but the people you encounter from day to day. Know that however small or fleeting those actions and interactions are, they create a ripple effect into the respective present lives and futures of the people yet to come.

To simplify; treat people in anger, you leave behind the repercussions of creating an angry world.
Treat people with loving kindness, you leave behind your addition to creating a flow directed in love...

In my opinion, such a legacy echoes into eternity - leaving things better than they were, from whence you first arrived.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join