It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be any more origonal movies or have we run out of ideas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I have just seen 3 trailers on the TV and am not a big movie fan so might just be my not understanding.

The first one was for another X Men movie, I have no idea how many there have been and do not deny it is a good concept but how many times can they make movies? Indefinatley I Imagine.

The Second was for Doom, I thought they already made a movie about that game that came out 25 years ago or so?

The third was for World of Warcraft, The first one as far as I know but still just a cgi packed version of a game concept that has been around for years.

What with all the other re hashes is this just simple business knowing that a tried and tested product gives a gaurenteed return or have we really started to exhaust the possibilities of imagination?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
When you brake it all down there are actually only 7 different plots in most story telling so we really ran out of stories ages ago. What counts is how they are told. New x-men movie might be the seventh instalment but it's still a fun movie in my view

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Quite a few originals. I'm sure they may have some similarities with books from the early 20th century but we do still produce some new ideas, although they are often poorly executed. Lucy seemed original, the giver seemed original ( sort of).

Sort of depend what you mean by original. I thought edge of 2moro was original but you could say it's groundhog day mixed with any alien movie, if you look at it is a basic way.

Plenty more

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Can I ask what those 7 plots are....I wish to see how vague they may be....like 1) in the past 2) in the future....

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
There are 2 movie sequels that you might find interesting Train Spotting 2 and The Man From Earth: Holocene. Then there's Ambiancé, a month long movie to watch... I don't think I can even watch the 7 hour long trailer on Vimeo.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
There are 2 movie sequels that you might find interesting Train Spotting 2 and The Man From Earth: Holocene. Then there's Ambiancé, a month long movie to watch... I don't think I can even watch the 7 hour long trailer on Vimeo.

I am glad to see that there is a sequel to the man from earth, not to sure about trainspotting 2 being more than cashing in but it might be a suprise.

As I said I have not kept up with movies for years and it all just seems like remakes or game based movies.

It would be good to see some new stuff as new books are still written, I think the investors are still worried about taking on a new concept that could flop which is good business sense if your putting in multi millions.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Can I ask what those 7 plots are....I wish to see how vague they may be....like 1) in the past 2) in the future....

I honestly don't know, remember reading about it once i am sure mr Google would tell you though

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew

I honestly don't know, remember reading about it once i am sure mr Google would tell you though

link

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I love the old 50-60 sci-fi movies, most of the idears were new. I also love the old movies were you had to use your mind. But even then idears seemed to be drying up. I stopped looking for anything new in movies a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
So is the structure of storytelling rather than what I would perceive as "plots". Cheers for the link.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm planning to watch Victoria one of these days, from the reviews I read it's like Birdman on steroids- more than 2 hours of continuous shot. It could be the first movie ever without an editor... and speaking of editing Louder Than Bombs is good.

There are still a lot of good movies out there, mostly indies Under The Skin, Comet and Spring to name a few. I just watched The Do Over the other day with my wife, we had a few laughs. It's terrible... I'll watch pretty much anything.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   

They should have quit making movies after they reached perfection.

I present to you, the perfect film!

Hope your feeling a little better today mate

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
YES

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Lucy

Take off of the Matrix movies

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I have just seen 3 trailers on the TV and am not a big movie fan so might just be my not understanding.

The first one was for another X Men movie, I have no idea how many there have been and do not deny it is a good concept but how many times can they make movies? Indefinatley I Imagine.

The Second was for Doom, I thought they already made a movie about that game that came out 25 years ago or so?

The third was for World of Warcraft, The first one as far as I know but still just a cgi packed version of a game concept that has been around for years.

What with all the other re hashes is this just simple business knowing that a tried and tested product gives a gaurenteed return or have we really started to exhaust the possibilities of imagination?

I think you should change your thread title to:

Will there be any more original Hollywood movies or has Hollywood run out of ideas?

Typical cultural short-sight mistake

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Gods of Egypt is coming out, far as i can tell it's new and original.

Well the YouTube vid looks decent.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29

Coming from the guy who made the Crow and Dark City it looks terrible.

More dumbed down CGI entertainment with white people playing Egyptians. Probably a copy-paste of Wrath of the Titans

I can see why some ATSers think it's cool though. The same way Stargate was with all the Sci-Fi / Mythology mix.

But honestly while Stargate was good, Gods of Egypt looks like steaming hot pile of poop
edit on 10-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFart

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29

Coming from the guy who made the Crow and Dark City it looks terrible.

More dumbed down CGI entertainment with white people playing Egyptians. Probably a copy-paste of Wrath of the Titans

I can see why some ATSers think it's cool though. The same way Stargate was with all the Sci-Fi / Mythology mix.

But honestly while Stargate was good, Gods of Egypt looks like steaming hot pile of poop

You could be right on how crap it might be or you might be surprised,,who knows.

You are right on how much CGI is involved making it, almost a CGI fest with some good actors and actresses to boot.

Still it does look ok and will buy it cheap when it comes out.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFart

Matbe your right but its too late now.

There a plenty of good indie movies out there but was thinking of the kind of blockbusters that were totally origonal that we used to get back in the day.

Films like Back to the future and ghostbusters, Fight club and the usual suspects.

All we get now are sequels, prequels and remakes.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: SpaceGoatFart

Matbe your right but its too late now.

There a plenty of good indie movies out there but was thinking of the kind of blockbusters that were totally origonal that we used to get back in the day.

Films like Back to the future and ghostbusters, Fight club and the usual suspects.

All we get now are sequels, prequels and remakes.

I wasn't even talking about indie movies. I was saying your post is straight up ignoring any movie not coming from the US.

<<   2  3 >>

join