It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be any more origonal movies or have we run out of ideas?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
What really should be concerning is the shift towards catering to the Chinese market and their particular taste in cinema. What you will see is more films with a crossover appeal to both cultures which means films that are stuck somewhere in the middle.

If you really want to see interesting films try to keep an eye out for the major studios divisions that distribute independent films; e.g. Fox Searchlight.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes they are many...easy as searching the independent films section on net flicks...the stuff they but on the big box theaters is for the simple minded however until the in home screen catch up the big box viewing experience is number 10!
Cheers

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
If you really want to see interesting films try to keep an eye out for the major studios divisions that distribute independent films; e.g. Fox Searchlight.

Or try to watch foreign movies with subtitles?

Bonus: you even learn about other cultures instead of living on an island.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceGoatFart

I would actually prefer a non-subtitled film, I find the captioning can be distracting from the footage at times.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
You realize that both Lethal Weapon and Macgyver are being rebooted on TV this fall?

Yep, there you are. More of your childhood dying.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I would actually prefer a non-subtitled film, I find the captioning can be distracting from the footage at times.

So American

Yeah I guess it's a matter of growing up exposed to foreign movies. Personally I prefer subbed over dubbed because often the dubbing is really bad.

But yeah it requires a bit of effort to explore other cultures. And effort is though
Anyway, your loss, not mine.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You realize that both Lethal Weapon and Macgyver are being rebooted on TV this fall?

Yep, there you are. More of your childhood dying.

And I think stargate is bieng done as well.

We might as well bring back hitler and have done with it.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

The only part about subtitling that bothers me is that I can miss the actors' faces while I read and I read very quickly. Part of the experience of film is to see the emoting being done as much as it is to catch the dialogue.

So I guess with subtitling you get the dialogue but miss the full experience.

You do have the same issue with dubbing.

I would imagine your preference really kind of depends on which why you feel like you get closest to the full experience you would have as a native speaker.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The only part about subtitling that bothers me is that I can miss the actors' faces while I read and I read very quickly. Part of the experience of film is to see the emoting being done as much as it is to catch the dialogue.

I would imagine your preference really kind of depends on which why you feel like you get closest to the full experience you would have as a native speaker.

I used to live with a deaf guy and even though I watched movies for months with him and the subtitles were in my own language I never learned to ignore them and watch the movie. It was an unusual thing to do and as you say you can miss a lot of subtlty in the plot if distracted by the subtitles.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

It's completely untrue.

When your brain is trained to read subtitles you totally get the full experience.

Our brains perfectly catches things happening outside of where we focus our attention. It's a scientific fact.

Our immediate viewing field is 60° wide, it's plenty enough to see everything happening on a screen at once

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Nice dig. I meant that I would prefer to watch it in its original language as I can understand several languages.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Nice dig. I meant that I would prefer to watch it in its original language as I can understand several languages.

My bad

What I meant is if subtitled movies wouldn't give you the full experience they wouldn't be so common worldwide.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I find that many times the subtitle color blends into the background and being that I am nearsighted I cannot follow it as well as I need to enjoy the film.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I find that many times the subtitle color blends into the background and being that I am nearsighted I cannot follow it as well as I need to enjoy the film.

That's why subs are usually white with a black outline in order to avoid this problem. I'm not saying subs are perfect, especially for you, just saying that thinking you can't get the full experience with them is a false assumption.

It does require training your brain though, that is true. And it's also true that as in many big countries with their own, huge media production, Americans don't really have much incentive to look for what is produced outside their borders.

Which is a shame considering the number of gems produced in other parts of the world. And also considering we live in an age where accessing them is so easy.
edit on 10-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

They are frequently yellow and often white without a black border. When they blend into the scenery they become useless for me.

I am fine though, there are plenty of Italian, Spanish and French films I can enjoy.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I've seen quite a lot of good films over recent years... most recently watched : Andron (A group of people awake in some tower not knowing how they got there... turns out when 2 survive and break out on to the top of a roof ((what seems like a roof)) that they were in some Imaginary World of sorts... sort of like a sim-adventure... turns out the roof happens to be a cliffedge!

Anyways you can always go back to watch great films of the past like i do ... tonight i'll be re-watching either Kramer v's Kramer or Wag the dog.

Also... you should check out Independent Movies which don't get a chance at Cinematic release unless they are picked up by big investors or a big production Company.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
You know the moment you have mastered a new language when you understand the film.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
You know the moment you have mastered a new language when you understand the film.

That and being able to tell/understand a joke.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

for me it was when I started dreaming in English...

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFart

for me it was when I started dreaming in English...

I still remember my first dream in a foreign language, it was wonderful. Some times I have multi language dreams

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join