It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US unemployed have quit looking for jobs at a 'frightening' level: Survey

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
OMG.

There are TONS of jobs out there.

If you have the ability to quit looking for a job then you have the ability to go to a community college and learn a trade skill. Often these classes are very affordable, and the pay is a livable wage.

But trades are loser jobs according to the media.

I would say we have a massive lack of information out there about all the opportunities available in a trade career. There's so many out there that is it mind boggling. I learn about new specialties all the time. My friend got a license to remove lead from old homes. That's it. Like 6 months of studying (maybe not even that) to get this license and now he runs his own lead removal crew and lives very comfortably. No college or anything crazy.

University degree is nice but a luxury.

America is supposed to be the land of opportunities, yet many opportunities go unnoticed because many people know nothing about them. They are told to either get a 4+ year degree (and the loans that go with it) or work at McDonalds.
edit on 6/11/2016 by Pyrrho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I'm 56 which I believe works against me.

It never used to be that way, but it most certainly is now. Age used to be a preference over youth just simply because of all the hands-on knowledge and experience of someone older who's worked in the field can bring to the table.

But now, you'll be hardpressed to find many employers who still think that way.

These employers are only looking at their short-term bottom line, rather than their long-term savings... ie: hiring a young person who can get by on a lower wage.

Business these days is all about the sprint, rather than the marathon.

It's a crying shame the way businesses operate these days.

... and it's also one of the biggest reasons why you don't see too many businesses anymore than can last longer than 20+ years before having to either merge, sell out shares, or completely close its doors altogether.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyrrho

America is supposed to be the land of opportunities, yet many opportunities go unnoticed because many people know nothing about them. They are told to either get a 4+ year degree (and the loans that go with it) or work at McDonalds

I totally agree with this. If it wasn't for ATS I wouldn't have known about CNC. Now I know there are CNC subcontractors out there making 80+ an hour working out of their garage.

Also I had a felony on my record until it was expunged 2 months ago and that literally made the world feel like it was crushing down on me employment wise. Millions of people are in situations they can't do anything about.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

These employers are only looking at their short-term bottom line, rather than their long-term savings... ie: hiring a young person who can get by on a lower wage. Business these days is all about the sprint, rather than the marathon. It's a crying shame the way businesses operate these days.

I am seeing a trending of this in the places that I work.

My job requires that I work with a large number of people in a a large number of businesses. I feel like I am friends with a lot of people I have never met face to face. In a way it makes my job easier, and the people I work with, feel more comfortable sharing with me what is really going on, and what is on their minds.

I met a worker that had just quit today. She ran into a problem and called her supervisor for advice. Her supervisor told her she didn't know what to do in the situation like the one she described, so she transferred her to her boss. The supervisor's boss gave the worker instructions on what to do. The customer's family were pissed with the result and raised hell, including threatening to sue. You know what the boss did? She blamed everything on the worker. When the worker told her supervisor what happened, and told her they had made a mistake, that she had only done what she was instructed to do. The boss told her she didn't make a mistake, she did what they had to do.

So the worker quit. The boss claimed she fired her to the family, to prove that she agreed with them being upset.

The trend I am seeing is forcing the older workers to quit so they can replace them with people willing to work for less. They make the working environment so hostile or ridiculously difficult, that anyone that has any feelings of dignity or self worth, don't have a choice but to quit.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I just want to make an observation. I've been out of work for eleven months now as my position was eliminated after 25+ plus years. I was in an IT position in an insurance company. I got a year severance and not currently receiving unenployment benefits. I've applied to @80 positions which have resulted in only a few interviews. I'm not demanding a huge salary. The thing I noticed is that there is an age bias out there. I'm 56 which I believe works against me. I was never a high level executive because I never played political games or kissed ass. I've also registered with multiple recruiters to no avail. Also, what do people do for money when they quit looking for work and their unemployment runs out?

They take personal loans from the bank, take out mortgages on their house, and use credit cards.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
a reply to: onequestion

Yes they are...

You don't NEED television. You don't NEED name brand stuff. You don't NEED fast food. Hell, you don't NEED a 700$ cell phone. These are all things people think they need to survive but they don't. Simplify and save. I have a 2 bedroom apartment... $600 a month is all. I keep my electricity down and the only splurge I have is my internet ($40/month).

You are wonderfully inspiring SomeDumbBroad. People don't seem to understand that the US is collapsing from economic bubbles that resulted in false wealth, down to a more realistic level of sustainable wealth. People will just have to learn to live within their means. You are one step ahead the pack.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I think it's just because I work in retail (phone sales) and I see the difference between successful business owners and people who are enamored with the latest and greatest. I just had a guy yesterday that had a chat with me about what we deem important and what we really need to function. He just upgraded from a flip phone..... For the 1st time ever. He claims he doesn't need it. His laptop works just fine. He's getting ready to open a 3rd 1.5 million dollar carwash. Got a lot of good advice from him. I am guilty of splurging. I'm not a saint. But I do know that life is about choices and we can't always blame out money problems on "the economy" when we are subsequently being persuaded to get the newest thing or we won't be cool.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyrrho

OMG.

There are TONS of jobs out there.

If you have the ability to quit looking for a job then you have the ability to go to a community college and learn a trade skill. Often these classes are very affordable, and the pay is a livable wage.

But trades are loser jobs according to the media.

I would say we have a massive lack of information out there about all the opportunities available in a trade career. There's so many out there that is it mind boggling. I learn about new specialties all the time. My friend got a license to remove lead from old homes. That's it. Like 6 months of studying (maybe not even that) to get this license and now he runs his own lead removal crew and lives very comfortably. No college or anything crazy.

University degree is nice but a luxury.

America is supposed to be the land of opportunities, yet many opportunities go unnoticed because many people know nothing about them. They are told to either get a 4+ year degree (and the loans that go with it) or work at McDonalds.

Although I get what you are saying, if you have a smart phone (which most do) then you possess the ability to look for work. Newspapers still post help wanted ads, you can get Wi-Fi on your phone even if you don't have data.... I used to live 10 miles from the nearest job and there were days I would walk to work because it was in the middle of nowhere. Not because I wanted to but because I wanted to work and make money. After a while I got a car and got a better job and worked my way from there. Life is about choices and drive. If you don't want it and you give up, you'll never attain it

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Yes they are...

You don't NEED television. You don't NEED name brand stuff. You don't NEED fast food. Hell, you don't NEED a 700$ cell phone. These are all things people think they need to survive but they don't. Simplify and save. I have a 2 bedroom apartment... $600 a month is all. I keep my electricity down and the only splurge I have is my internet ($40/month).

The jobs you listed are starter jobs though for people with no skills and with automation and outsourcing as it is that is where we are all headed. Serving each other

A see a lot of seniors in my parts working those "starter jobs"

The direction we are headed is in line with Agenda 21, Sustainable Development
Live 10 to a house, conserve, reuse, recycle, while the elite live in multiple mansions and yachts telling is how to live

No Thanks

The Globalists need to be thrown out of this country along with their puppet politicians and International Corporate Heads
They have no skin in the game and want others to pay for it

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Your "means" are being dictated to you by Economic Policies
Contrast the means for the average American today to the means 30 years ago

TV, Cell Phones and Cheap Chinese Electronics is by no way the major expenses most Americans are footing the bill for

The most expenses come from Food, Housing and Medical that take about 90% of their income
Housing used to be inline with Market Principles wherein it was 2X your annual income going back 100 years, until the Finance Sector, Wealthy Foreign Buyers and Illegals via supply and demand jacked up the price

All Globalists need to be THROWN out of this country along with their PUPPET POLITICIANS
edit on 11-6-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I am working on it. I actually have everything I need and then some. Idk if you ever saw my thread from a while back but I was homeless this past winter. I learned what was important to me and what I needed to survive is more important than blowing every dime I make.

So you are an example for the Globalists to get what they want
Bring all Americans to their knees and they will be happy for the crumbs they get

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

money.cnn.com...

Either way it goes, The Corporate and Banking Lobbyists need to be thrown out of DC
They are responsible for a lot of our economic policies that are detrimental this this nation

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I gave up looking for a conventional "job" as well. I'm in my late 30's and most employees want younger employees. I haven't had a job since 2013; which was a temp job for the christmas season and I was laid off promptly in January. In Fall 2014 I went back to college to get more skills and have been living off student loans ever since. Family and friends is how I keep a roof over my head. In 2015 I loosely became a instagram model and I am currently having some luck with that. I haven't made any money yet from instagram, but I have earned some all expense paid vacations out of it. So basically social media has been a huge help for me and kept me from being depressed in this job market. I just started back looking for employment last week as a lab tech, but no response so far...

edit on 11-6-2016 by Teeky because: word

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: projectvxn

13.50, which is a big pay cut for me but im looking at long term not short term potential

i measure everything in business by its potential not its short term gain

I had Aunts and Uncles making 15 to 20 bucks an hour in the 80's working at factories, non union
This is how they brainwash Americans in their Globalist Utopia that you need to accept less and less so everyone is dirt poor.

Globalists need to be thrown out of this country

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: projectvxn

This right there is fantastically infuriating. His problem is that he's a lazy bum and doesn't want to put in the effort to make his situation better, but it's not his fault? Are you serious?

I think you miss read my post.

I am a veteran, but I am not looking for work. I have tried full retirement on three different occasions, but as a Forensic's Nurse, retirement is not that easy to do, when the need for my services are so great. Crime may not pay, but it costs, it is never ending, and is a good barometer for just how well or poorly our society faring.

When the economy was "overheating" and great, as said by Greenspan, crime was at its lowest
Ever since 2008, crime has been on an onward climb

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Comes around, goes around. Scripting, (Ruby/Rails, PowerShell, Javascript) and VM.... largest job opportunities there, for software engineers. Focused on managing huge server farms using them. Never stop learning.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I just want to make an observation. I've been out of work for eleven months now as my position was eliminated after 25+ plus years. I was in an IT position in an insurance company. I got a year severance and not currently receiving unenployment benefits. I've applied to @80 positions which have resulted in only a few interviews. I'm not demanding a huge salary. The thing I noticed is that there is an age bias out there. I'm 56 which I believe works against me. I was never a high level executive because I never played political games or kissed ass. I've also registered with multiple recruiters to no avail. Also, what do people do for money when they quit looking for work and their unemployment runs out?

If you are over the age of 55, you are screwed under our current paradigm
I have friends and aquaintances that age and older and pretty much are SOL
The paradigm needs to change

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

I am working on it. I actually have everything I need and then some. Idk if you ever saw my thread from a while back but I was homeless this past winter. I learned what was important to me and what I needed to survive is more important than blowing every dime I make.

So you are an example for the Globalists to get what they want
Bring all Americans to their knees and they will be happy for the crumbs they get

Or maybe I dont feel entitled to things I dont work for.

To quote my favorite movie "We buy # we don’t need, with money we don’t have, to impress people we don’t like".

If we weren't amassed with consumerism, would we really feel the need to not buy things? Why do I need an iPhone? I don't.

Need

require (something) because it is essential or very important

Want

have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Front end web dev is basically the lowest rung on the ladder, but you can still make reasonable money doing it. You just have to stay current on tech, so that when you run into that HR department that wants 5 years of Angular experience (a tech that has only existed for 4), you can get through the filter and you're experienced in it.

Back end probably has more job security than front end.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyrrho

This is precisely the issue I've been addressing in this thread. There are tons of opportunities out there. But so many don't want to work their way up.

The OP has the right idea. He's looking ahead long term in his endeavors and if he keeps that up he will be extremely successful.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join