It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US unemployed have quit looking for jobs at a 'frightening' level: Survey

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

For what though

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

For food jobs, Walmart is always hiring, maintenance positions, part time positions.... there are so many things available out there and I am not even in a big city. When I lived in STL I could find a job without even trying.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Those are not jobs anyone can pay rent with

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yes they are...

You don't NEED television. You don't NEED name brand stuff. You don't NEED fast food. Hell, you don't NEED a 700$ cell phone. These are all things people think they need to survive but they don't. Simplify and save. I have a 2 bedroom apartment... $600 a month is all. I keep my electricity down and the only splurge I have is my internet ($40/month).

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Sounds horrible I prefer to enjoy life.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

So do I but I also don't like to live above my means.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

What you need is a better opportunity

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I am working on it. I actually have everything I need and then some. Idk if you ever saw my thread from a while back but I was homeless this past winter. I learned what was important to me and what I needed to survive is more important than blowing every dime I make.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Life needs to be easier for people especially in the west where we have the resources for it

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

Yes they are...

You don't NEED television. You don't NEED name brand stuff. You don't NEED fast food. Hell, you don't NEED a 700$ cell phone. These are all things people think they need to survive but they don't. Simplify and save. I have a 2 bedroom apartment... $600 a month is all. I keep my electricity down and the only splurge I have is my internet ($40/month).

Like OneQuestion said earlier, it is definitely locale specific.

Where I live, unless you have section 8 housing, you can't get a one bedroom apartment, in the middle of the ghetto, for under $800.00 a month. When it is hotter than the blue blazes 10 months out of 12, there is only so much you can knock off the electricity bill. Food is not cheap, transportation is sketchy at best, and utility costs are criminal.

A large immigration population keeps low skilled jobs few and far between, while higher paying jobs are also affected by the large number of available applicants, which is disproportionate to the number of available jobs.

There are a large number of medical jobs constantly advertised where I live, but if you do a little research, you will see it is the same medical facilities advertising for the same jobs over and over, because they pay so little, and are overly abusive to their staff, to the point that they can't keep even desperate workers.

A lot of businesses know they have a large number of people looking for work, so they have no incentive for employee retention. I have heard people in administration say their workers "are a dime a dozen". The turn over in some places is mind blowing,

No one should have to be abused and enslaved, just to bring home a paycheck, especially not for a paycheck that doesn't cover the bare basics for a meager life.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That's exactly why I left California

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Yeah and I live here because I was living in Houston, knew I wouldn't be able to survive there on my own so I moved to a cheaper place. I understand situational living.... then again when I lived in Houston I would have been able to find a decent 1 bedroom for 700, I just didn't want to have to work 2 bar jobs to make it on my own. So I moved.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

my husband went into the machinist trade in the 70's as an apprentice and was a journeyman tool and die maker when he passed away. In 30+ years he has never made $45,000/yr and if the truth be told he made more in those first years in his trade than he did as a journeyman.
It was a good trade to be in back than when he first started, and maybe the machinists are starting to be appreciated again. but even my husband's boss told me that he wouldn't let his son go into the trade even though his son probably learned just about everything about it before he graduated from high school.
if they are finding that there is a desperate need now for machinist (which the businesses are at least trying to claim so they can get the skilled labor from overseas), it's only because the businesses didn't really place that much value of them in the past.
can't say much of anything about the hvac or plumbing areas outside of that I know one person who owns a hvac business and they are kind of struggling at the moment.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I will say to you what I say to my fellow veterans.

Go to the Department of Labor and order their resume writing and job seeking guide. Go to employment offices and seek help with resume writing for what is and is not relevant. You should be able to stand out among other applicants. Seek further training and certification. Lastly, MOVE. There are over 3 million jobs open in the skilled trades. I find it amazing that people with degrees complain about not being able to find a job when there are tons of opportunities out there to make a living and start paying down student loans.

Your average skilled trade salary is between 40 and 50k a year for starters. That's better than nothing. I'm tired of hearing people with degrees complaining about not being able to find a job in their chosen field.

He knows the kind of hours and hard work their careers require, so he is not very enthusiastic about learning a skill or becoming an apprentice.

This right there is fantastically infuriating. His problem is that he's a lazy bum and doesn't want to put in the effort to make his situation better, but it's not his fault? Are you serious?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I've heard about 3 million job openings in skilled trades and it's b.s..

I'm.in a skilled trade and thinking about getting into another one because the work is never steady and we make the same amount of money my father made 25 years ago

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

In my area apprentice machinists make 24 bucks an hour to start. That's without the union. That's a living wage right there at 52k per year.

The mean average salary of a machinist is 42k per year or 22 bucks per hour.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

No way an apprentice is starting at 24 an hour where are you I'll move there next week

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

It's not BS. Those numbers are real. The skilled trades are essentially the only area of labor that is having a hard time finding.

America currently has 5.8 million jobs open since Sept. of 2015. 3.2 million of those are in the skilled trades.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Not true dude I'm telling you I work in skilled trades and have worked in skilled trades in Florida Pennsylvania and California and there is MO shortage of workers they have millions of illegals all over the country

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Chromalloy NV is looking for machinists straight out of school at 22 an hour. Kemet Electronics is hiring machinists in NV and other places at 23 an hour fresh out of school.

Arsenal Las Vegas and a few other gun manufacturers are looking for apprentice machinists at 24 an hour. Why? Because the current group of these guys are older and retiring soon. They need to fill the gap and they are trying like hell to do so by offering competitive wages.

It depends on where you go.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join