It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Universities Don't Want Science Students To Believe In God

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: graysquirrel
a reply to: saint4God

It is incorporated in to the first amendment.

You are thinking of the treaty of Tripoli. There is no amendment separating church from state. Common misconception.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

In order for the state to maintain freedom of religion, It its self must maintain a neutral separation form all religions or commonly know as "separation of church and state".

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: logicsoda
Who asked you this? Was it a college professor?

Yes

How?

As another member mentioned earlier, science explains the 'how', religion explains the 'why'. Two pieces of the same puzzle.

There is? I never once believed that. Where are you getting this idea? Do you have statistics to suggest that this is true?

A person wouldn't even need to travel outside of ATS to discover this. Pick either a religious thread here that or any science one that mentions religion of any sort.

I did not realize that there was a particular representation of the "real world" in secular academia.

There isn't, ergo the problem. Universities are supposed to be preparing students for the world post-graduation.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: logicsoda
You've yet to provide any data to reinforce your claim so how can you begin to request "additional data" from him? The burden of proof is on you, not him in this case.

I've provided two points so far (even though mine included multiple), but here's a third from David P. Barash, an evolutionary biologist and professor of psychology at the University of Washington:

"Every year around this time, with the college year starting, I give my students The Talk. It isn’t, as you might expect, about sex, but about evolution and religion, and how they get along. More to the point, how they don’t.

I’m a biologist, in fact an evolutionary biologist, although no biologist, and no biology course, can help being “evolutionary.” My animal behavior class, with 200 undergraduates, is built on a scaffolding of evolutionary biology.

And that’s where The Talk comes in. It’s irresponsible to teach biology without evolution, and yet many students worry about reconciling their beliefs with evolutionary science..." continue at www.nytimes.com...
edit on 17-6-2016 by saint4God because: Added detail

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Still no proof other than a few personal anecdotes that "Public Universities" take any position on God?

Not surprising.

originally posted by: GetHyped

So which universities don't want science students to believe in god, then?

Are you going to back up any of your tall claims with verifiable facts, or is the premise of this thread a fabrication?

See previous response to logicsoda.
edit on 17-6-2016 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

You mean The Talk where he clarifies exactly what a scientific theory and explains how well-founded and supported in evidence Modern Evolutionary Synthesis is?

That's your idea of not wanting "science students to believe in god"? Because he is basically saying we don't need to resort to magic to explain natural phenomenon when we have a mountain of evidence and a robust model that explains it adequately without?

Don't be so absurd. It has nothing to do with not wanting students to believe in god and everything to do with basic academic standards, i.e. magic is not a valid explanation in the fields of science.
edit on 17-6-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: saint4God
As another member mentioned earlier, science explains the 'how', religion explains the 'why'. Two pieces of the same puzzle.

No, they are not "two pieces of the same puzzle" at all. Science offers explanations for both the how and why: it can explain how evolution occurs, and why evolution occurs, just as an example; religion is completely irrelevant in this case. It offers its own explanations as to why certain scientific processes occur by appealing to their deities. To say that it is in any way, shape, or form part of the same proverbial coin as science is ridiculous at best. No bueno.

A person wouldn't even need to travel outside of ATS to discover this. Pick either a religious thread here that or any science one that mentions religion of any sort.

ATS would be a ridiculously small sample size to reinforce the claim that you made... to the point where it would be considered drastically statistically insignificant. I want real-world statistics. You made the claim, so the burden on you is to reinforce this claim.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join