It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Childbirth. Did you? Would you again?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm currently working on my "birth plan" as mandated by my doctor.

One of the most pressing questions is natural, or drug free. I can always change my mind, of course, but I'd love some perspective from some mothers who did decide to go drug free.

If you did go the natural route, would you do it again? Why or why not? What influenced your decision?
Were there other techniques you employed as a pain management strategy? Did you just embrace it?

I know exactly one person who went drug free, and she did it because there just wasn't time to administer anything. That person is my mother, so if I get the "baby just falls out" gene, it could be me, too.
Everyone else stresses GET THE DRUGS; but, I'm a pretty natural person. I'm not opposed, but I'd like to consider it.

Any advice, ladies?

PS. How long was your labour? My mother laboured 3 hours total with me, and 5 with my brother. She claims "walking" and "being a deep sleeper" affected her labour times, lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My wife had an spinal block and a c section.
It was that or lose the baby.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can plan all you want but the kid will determine what you do so be prepared to change your plans.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I know, and thanks for the oft given advice. You still have to plan, unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I had one with pain meds and one without.

My first labor ran into 25 hours. At about 23 hours I mentally needed a break so I chose pain meds. It wasn't that the pain was so bad, it was that I was just so tired.

My second labor went for about 6 hours. When I finally decided to go to the hospital, I was in the same situation as your mom and didn't have enough time to get the meds and the pain was not so bad from that either.

I think it's always scary for first timers because you hear horror stories about the pain. It's not that bad and is usually easily forgotten. If it weren't so, folks would only ever opt for one child.

I am not for or against either option. I think a lot of people put a lot of pressure on themselves to do it naturally and then feel like they failed in some way when they can't. Every labor and birth is different. Some are far more difficult than others.

The only advice I can give is to keep having an open mind about it, like you are currently doing.

As long as the end result is a healthy baby and a healthy you... That's all that matters.

edit on 6/6/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If I had to push a lemon out of my nostril and they were offering drugs I would take them.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I've had 3 epidurals- pretty sure the last one hit something, because I've had a weird "catch" ever since. My current plan is another epidural. I had no other drugs with my second, and that was the best labor, because I remember it clearly. The other 2 I did have pain meds, and I was so loopy.

I have started thinking about (maybe, just a little) natural for this baby. But I kind of doubt I will go that route. My sister in law had baby 3 naturally, the others all with epidurals, and she felt it wasn't worth it. She had a longer labor and both her and baby were totally worn out. Mother in law had 7 kids, only the last with an epidural- and she must have had a crummy anesthesiologist, cause her screams were heard in the halls
Her 6th was born at home, with only Tylenol as relief. But I haven't heard her complain about any births, except the last.

I hve nothing but admiration for women who give birth without an epidural, especially those that go totally med free!

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What if you had to cough up a spaghetti squash?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Drugs.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Crapping watermelons and all aside… there are tests they can make to see if your pelvis and things have open or restrictive proclivities.

Does natural childbirth include birthing at home as an option? As long as the midwives are practiced and the med kit is nearby… why not?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
19 hours, totally natural. My son came out with blue bruising on his back, because I went into labour right at bedtime and was falling asleep between pushes.

If I was going to do it again, I'd still do natural. I don't know how someone can push if they're all drugged up.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Drugs.

Hah, I was born high on Demerol, not recommended for parents that don't want to raise future addicts.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Definitely no pressure here, but I do love hearing others experiences, no matter the outcome.

Plus, the birth plan HAS to be done, so I might as well make as informed of a choice as I can.

I'm enticed by natural childbirth ( like Chelsdh said below) because i've seen a few women who were almost to loopy to enjoy seeing their baby for the first time. It would be equally as bad to be so tired you couldn't enjoy it though.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I really considered a home birth, but unfortunately there are no midwives in my area.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Was your body just so tired, or do you have an incredible pain tolerance?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The birth plan thing is something I never had to do. I understand wanting to make an informed decision.

You can go the epidural route and not be high. It blocks the pain from the abdomen down and is all I had. They didn't give any pain meds as far as opiates go to me so unfortunately I didn't get to experience loopy lol. I was under the impression that they usually didn't give narcotics because it does affect the baby and mother. It's looking like that just may be my experience though.

I did have some good narcotics afterwards though as I had to have an episiotomy (for those that don't know... Don't google it) after both births.

So you can still go pretty much pain free and not be out of it and if you are interested in that, epidural is the way to go.

edit on 6/6/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

This birth, I would ideally like to have only an epidural. I have never had trouble pushing, and I think the max amount of pushing time I have had with my other babies was 15 minutes. The pain block was fully effective, no half numbness.

I ended up with Demerol with the other girls because I went in labor at night and the anesthesiologist had to be called and woken up, then drive an hour to the hospital. I also get very nauseous and vomit a ton during labor. Which, for me, dilates me from nothing to ready in no time. So, to avoid being told I can't have an epidural because I was too far dilated, I had to request an anti nausea medication, which also induces sleep.

I will say, with my first, I was thankful for being high on the meds, because the baby was in distress, and though the doctor was pretty calm, my altered mind state made me take the news much better than I would have otherwise. I would have flat out panicked.

How are you doing? I was actually thinking about making a thread to check up on fellow expectant members.
edit on 6-6-2016 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I read all I could on the birthing process and intended to do the natural thing, but some good advice I read was "you don't have to be a martyr". If the pain is unbearable, you don't have to suffer. So, it ended up I opted for epidurals because the pain was very bad and the labour extremely long for one birth. The other birth was also very painful. I suppose my pain threshold is low.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I had two c-sections but my daughter had one in the hospital with pain meds and the second was a water birth, with no pain meds and not in a hospital.

She said she would not do the water birth again but besides being totally wiped out she said she could do it again without meds. Her labor was about 20 hours, so it wasn't fast. I would say the hardest part for her was the last five hours, I was with her along with her husband and my sister.

She does not have a high threshold for pain and she was in a lot of pain but she sucked it up and did it. Also since she wasn't in the hospital she didn't have a choice when things started getting rough to opt for some medication.

I think if you are at the hospital at least you could get something if you needed it.

Personally I would take whatever medication they could give you

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Well than just go with it. You'll know what you can handle or not when the time comes. They will be there to advise you. You can request certain doctors handle your birth, but they may not be on duty when you rush in there at 2 am.

Giving birth is one of those marvelous things that shows up on its time and you have to go along.

Don't be too worried about the means of birth, natural or C section, prolonged or quick, its the new life you are bringing to the world, after its over it won't mater so much how things 'came out'.

Whats the babies name?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Certainly a personal choice. Hopefully you and your Doctor will decide what's best for you and as other posters have suggested be prepared.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I was already dilated with my first daughter when I went for my weekly exam. I piddled around town, went back home to get my bag and upon arriving at the hospital scolded for taking too long. With both of my children I dilated very quickly
(I suppose) and then that's where I stay for hours.

My first daughter was delivered via emergency C section after losing her heartbeat several times and being unable to get it back after some time. The demerol was injected and must have worked relatively quickly. My Doctor was straddling me making the incision and asking if I 'felt it' while we were racing down the hallway. I was honest and told him it felt 'like when you nick yourself shaving your legs in the shower and the water stings'. It did feel just like that. It was a little frightening but I had confidence in him and his team. She was born healthy.

My second childbirth again already dilated to 8 by the time I got to the hospital over an hour away. Water broke in the elevator. Rushed back to a delivery room and........that's where I stayed. For hours.

I chose an epidural. Certainly concerned that there would be another C section as her heartbeat was fading in and out as well. The Doctor's put you in some interesting/awkward positions (that actually worked!) to try and give the baby some relief (of stress) so that the heartbeat maintains. She decided to come on as the team was preparing for surgery. My Doctor was very calm and experienced and I was lucky to have chosen him (IMO)

No C section this time!!!!
YAY!!!

Good luck to you! I am hoping that you will make the most informed and best decision for you and your new baby!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join