It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most American male college athletes admit to raping women: US poll

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I call BULL#&*T.... Junk science at its best.

So many holes in this straw man study that I'd call it swiss cheese, but that would be an insult to the cheese.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: tommo39
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli

I personally think with your "Over The Top" interest in this topic you have something to hide.....Yes?

Nice rhetorical tactic.

"Over The Top" interest could just mean that I have read many of these studies that all seek to amplify the victimization of a group, which weakens the argument when often enough the actual non-rhetorically manipulated data shows that it is bad. The people who put out these studies are often compared to soccer players faking injuries.

My interest is that the lame gender and cultural studies department at my school consistently tries to force STEM majors to take additional "sensitivity" or mandatory classes in their department. The problem with that is that tuition has already risen 84%, our department has another $900 dollar fee for advanced standing and we are required to take a minimum of 17 credit hours a semester to graduate in 4 years.

So when they come along and demand tuition raises in our department (less than 15% of the school population) to pay for their curriculum and that we are forced to take their courses while they use dehumanizing rhetoric you better believe everyone in the department would provide extra scrutiny to their arguments.

Mostly just tired of these studies being used as an excuse for these folks to engage in colonial behavior like they are bringing civilization to the savages.

Shame on you OP, shame.

-FBB

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
I call BULL#&*T.... Junk science at its best.

So many holes in this straw man study that I'd call it swiss cheese, but that would be an insult to the cheese.

Especially when they make up their own novel definition of the term "rape".

The condom thing....thats pretty weak.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
According to third wave feminists, just about anything is rape.

There are a lot of different examples of what constitutes rape and rape culture according to feminist culture and academia these days. That's why I don't really take this survey terribly seriously.

It's instructive.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

what a fantastic link.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Lets abolish athletics. Competition is dead. Collaboration is where its at.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If you think asking until they say yes is "rape". That is one of the questions.

Indeed, the two sexual coercion items that did not differ significantly between athletes and non-athletes, namely “I insisted on sex when my partner did not want to but did not use physical force” and “I insisted my partner have oral or anal sex but did not use physical force” had the highest rates of endorsement.

vaw.sagepub.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I find this interesting. While researching something else today, I stumbled on the Harvard University website and the recent issue with final clubs and some suggestion that male-only clubs promoted rape.

Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships.

One of the links on that page claims that 31% of undergraduate senior female respondents experienced some kind of sexual assault during their time at Harvard. I wondered if many of these were due to cat-calling or eye rape.

In Historic Move, Harvard to Penalize Final Clubs, Greek Organizations

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: tommo39

The only surprise is that they admitted it.

Now let's get the coaches and schools that cover it all up to admit it.

They admitted nothing, the creators of the survey simply redefined rape.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I was an athlete in college, only track but if anything and Im not trying to be cool because no one knows me but if anything I was the one who got raped. Amazing the difference in a college girl with some alcohol in her system and without. Kinda joking since ya cant rape the willing.
edit on 5-6-2016 by MEDIKATED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

After watching a special about the massive coverup of rapes on college campuses, and the appalling numbers of athletes given a free pass for that, I thought of starting a thread asking people if supporting such sports was, in effect, supporting rape.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MEDIKATED
I was an athlete in college, only track but if anything and Im not trying to be cool because no one knows me but if anything I was the one who got raped. Amazing the difference in a college girl with some alcohol in her system and without. Kinda joking since ya cant rape the willing.

Hey! Fellow track and field here!

What event/s were you? I was hurdles and high jump and got trained for heptathlon on top of those. I wound up being a real work horse.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

After watching a special about the massive coverup of rapes on college campuses, and the appalling numbers of athletes given a free pass for that, I thought of starting a thread asking people if supporting such sports was, in effect, supporting rape.

The problem with those reports these days is that the definition of rape has changed so drastically. Look at the link I provided. There was a girl who wrote to a rape councillor about how she and her boyfriend were watching a movie. He was trying to make out with her. He asked her to have sex; she said no. He continued to try to make out, and she got upset because she wanted to see the movie, so she yelled at him. He got upset and left. She got upset and called the police and accused him of rape.

She wrote to the rape councilor because she was regretting it as he didn't actually rape her, but the rape councilor said he did and not to feel bad at all.

So I guess my point is ... What qualifies as rape these days? What do our kids think is rape these days? The young lady in the example just basically ruined her former boyfriend's life, and she can't retract it because then she gets in trouble for lying.

What are we and have we done to our kids?

Now, I am not making light of rape, but to today's feminist culture, anything a man does to a woman could be rape if she decides it is, and that's wrong and confusing to boot.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

The problem with those reports these days is that the definition of rape has changed so drastically. Look at the link I provided. There was a girl who wrote to a rape councillor about how she and her boyfriend were watching a movie. He was trying to make out with her. He asked her to have sex; she said no. He continued to try to make out, and she got upset because she wanted to see the movie, so she yelled at him. He got upset and left. She got upset and called the police and accused him of rape.

She wrote to the rape councilor because she was regretting it as he didn't actually rape her, but the rape councilor said he did and not to feel bad at all.

So I guess my point is ... What qualifies as rape these days? What do our kids think is rape these days? The young lady in the example just basically ruined her former boyfriend's life, and she can't retract it because then she gets in trouble for lying.

What are we and have we done to our kids?

Now, I am not making light of rape, but to today's feminist culture, anything a man does to a woman could be rape if she decides it is, and that's wrong and confusing to boot.

Oh, I agree that there are such cases, and they are completely unfair to the young men involved. However, in a lot of cases, it's some guy leading a girl off at a frat party, or wherever, and taking advantage of a drunk girl, or just flat out using force. Some of the ones in the documentary were heartbreaking. One case, in Florida, the guy drugged the girl, took her home and raped her, and was let off, not even prosecuted, because he was a star athlete, and the DA who would have had to act was an alumnus! The definitions need to be clear, yes, but the reporting needs to be taken seriously as well. Colleges shouldn't be covering up to protect a sports team. The guy in the Florida case is now playing professionally, too.

The whole system is a mess. I don't want to see someone's life ruined by a false accusation, but I also don't want to see rapists sheltered by universities more concerned about sports than about the women attending. There has to be a better way.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I hate to ask, but how many times do girls get drunk, have sex, and regret it later thus deciding it was rape? This happens too more than we'd like to admit.

I will not deny that rapes happen, but I spent a lot of time around athletes as one myself. I saw nothing about them that was much different than other males aside from the number of girls willing to go off with them once they learned about the athlete status.

The problem is that right now there is a huge push to witch hunt this. It works against masculine culture and plays into all the worst stereotypes of men as brutes and rapists if they are too physical and masculine and he-men.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
My son went out with a girl on a few dates and, like many college kids, had consensual sex. A few days later he learned she had a boyfriend so he dumped her. She got pissed and rather than admit to her other boyfriend that she cheated, she accused my son of rape. Police came to interview him... He literally was terrified and thought his life was over. Luckily.... And I mean by SHEER LUCK.... He had saved all the text messages between them. He was able to prove that her story was false and that she had continued to pursue him even after he dumped her. The police declined to file charges against my son, but she still fails to own her lies. I'm sure her family doesn't know the full truth of what a piece of # daughter they have.

This girl nearly ruined my son's life WITHOUT BLINKING TWICE so she wouldn't have to own her own behavior.

I know rape happens. I know it painfully well... But I refuse to let the emotional nature of the accusation simply sway my judgment without hearing what BOTH sides have to say and whether there is supporting evidence that it ever occurred.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I hate to ask, but how many times do girls get drunk, have sex, and regret it later thus deciding it was rape? This happens too more than we'd like to admit.

I will not deny that rapes happen, but I spent a lot of time around athletes as one myself. I saw nothing about them that was much different than other males aside from the number of girls willing to go off with them once they learned about the athlete status.

The problem is that right now there is a huge push to witch hunt this. It works against masculine culture and plays into all the worst stereotypes of men as brutes and rapists if they are too physical and masculine and he-men.

That's why there are standards these days, and guys need to be told, if she's drunk, don't do anything. Then, such cases can be avoided. I don't want to see anyone falsely accused, and that DOES happen, quite a bit. I also don't want to see someone commit rape, and be excused because convicting them would be a blow to the college sports team. That happens, too. The system broken, as it stands now. Then you have some of those same girls, who would go with the guy just because he's an athlete, standing up and verbally attacking a rape victim, assuming she "must have" wanted him, because they do. No matter what angle you look at it, there are some serious problems in our culture regarding this issue!

The poll, though, in the OP.......that's disturbing. Did you hear about the case where a dad is defending his son sexually assaulting a woman?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join