It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not One Damn Dime Day

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
I think it would be a wonderfull idea except that one day will not make that much difference. Like said in an earlier post, folks will spend that money the day before or after so its really not doing anything.
Now a week...that would cause some trouble. But again as posted before, too many people are self centered and will shop anyway.
Was a wonderfull idea for the American people outside our government to speak. And to let the whole world know we as a people are against war in any country.

I think it will make a difference if enough of us do it on that one day, also it could be considered a warm up to what you are talking about if enough of us do it and make a small difference then perhaps at a later date we can as an organized group do it for a week. You are right it is a small thing but when people who had to sat in the back of the bus, people with no political clout indeed hardly any representation in our government, agreed to walk instead of riding the bus it started a movement that changed the world we live in today. Who would have thought that by simply doing a passive resistance in protest like not taking the bus would change the world but it did.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
The truth is that even if you got half the country to follow this idiotic plan the other half would simply spend more as a statement of thier own. the net result would be no change.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Actually I really don't think it is an idiotic plan at all and of course since you don't agree with it you think it is idiotic, no surprise there. I'm betting when the people stopped riding the bus everyone who did not agree with it thought it was an idiotic plan as well and look where that led.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
The difference goose, is that in the montgomery bus boycott, the same people being oppressed represented the majority of the bus lines customers. To be blunt the practices in place on those bus lines were almost as stupid as this plan from a business standpoint. Its common sense that if you piss off a demographic that comprises 75% of your customer base business will suffer. This plan however fails to take account of the fact that just over 50% of the nation supports president bush. As I said any boycotting that does take place will be counterbalanced by those who support the president and his policies. not to mention the fact that boycots can only work practically on a corporation. The US economy is simply to big for something like this to even be noticed.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
If the polls are right (and I question this, we have been lied to so much by the media who knows) 50% do support Bush but its the other 50% that is feeling disenfranchised due to the unfair voting practices that have taken place, are against the war and also feeling they have no representation in our government, its the other 50% that is going to take part in this protest, not one dime day. So I guess we will see come inaugaration day and hopefully a week in the future called not one dime week in protest.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Yes goose and as I said those of us who do support the president and his policies will be spending more on that day. Half the country spends nothing, the other half spends twice as much net result zero change.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Yes goose and as I said those of us who do support the president and his policies will be spending more on that day. Half the country spends nothing, the other half spends twice as much net result zero change.

And you think that because of this threat that you will spend more I and others like me that share this belief are just supposed to throw up our hands and say, I give up! So what, you will spend more on that one day, will everyone who support this war and this President do so? I doubt it. And the next day after spending your money all on inaugaration day will you be able to spend the next. This will have an impact despite your going out and spending extra money on that day. And what if it goes to a week like I hope it does, will you be out spending extra amounts all week? If enough people take part in this it will have an impact and you can spend all your money, I'll save mine in protest.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
And what if all the bad people in the world become good, and what if C.A.T. really speels dog and what if all the pixies from fairy land give us the secret to cold fusion?

Hey goose its your money do whatever you want with it. I'm not trying to insult you just giving you a bt of reality.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
fact: life is not fair.

question: had you the resources, would you make life fair?

-some may argue we do infact have the resources to make life MORE fair. wether you agree or not, pessimism is certainly a step in the wrong direction.

we all agree there is much wrong in this world no? do you think you can make a difference? do you think 2 people can make a difference? do you think a million can? how many people does it take?

this battle will not be won until we start fighting. it may take many years. it will take initiative from the individual. everytime someone picks a flower the stars move.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   

And what if all the bad people in the world become good, and what if C.A.T. really speels dog and what if all the pixies from fairy land give us the secret to cold fusion?

Hey goose its your money do whatever you want with it. I'm not trying to insult you just giving you a bt of reality.

And by all means tell me of your reality! You think you have cornered the market on it, lets hear it.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Simple your little "not a damn dime day" isn't going to do a damn thing.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
In reference to my earlier post.
I ordered a new bedroom set for my wife, and myself.
"Mission bay Oak" I think it's called.
It will invoice on Thursday, when it's delivered.
"just in case"

Just so you know, the old stuff, which is still in good shape, will be going to
the Salvation Army..They lost their entire local Warehouse last week, when the roof collapsed under record snowfall..

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Simple your little "not a damn dime day" isn't going to do a damn thing.

We shall see and it is not my "little not one dime day". I wish I had thought of it but alas I did not come up with it.
BTW since you see it as a waste of time why are you so dead set against it?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Goose I'm not dead set against it, just smart enough to see it wont work, but hey feel free to waste your time.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
sadly, my logic sides with you mwm1331.

i do not believe this dime day bit will do anything -except maybe raise awareness until the next protest or boycott...

well, we've seen plenty of protests and boycotts. why are they so ineffective?

what can we do to make them more effective?

what can we do instead that is more effective?

do we like our situation?

can a difference be made?

c'mon people, face it -we're in a rut. no body is going to pull us out but ourselves. we can either wallow - continually sinking or we can do something about it.

we have to start somewhere. if not boycotting and protesting, the least you can do is raise awareness around you. the average joe doesnt know - let alone care. i am willing to do my part. united we stand, divided we fall. we either beat this - or let our grandchildren scoff at us.

this is OUR problem. sadly, it seems not enough of us care. do you and yours need to be personally treaded upon to start caring? this is ridiculous, i know. i feel like a little league baseball coach in a PG movie ranting like this - as if it were going to do something. well, this isnt the movies and the stakes are much higher. we are being raped as individuals because we wont stand together.

we're already so far in the hole that i fear theres no hope...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think that is part of the problem is this feeling of being helpless, of no matter what we do nothing will be achieved. The rich don't care they get their tax breaks, the stupid believe everything they are told by the government and just overlook how this is affecting our lives. There are those who say well I got a tax break and I got that 650.00 check but yet don't realize or care that their childrens pell grants are being cut, education programs are being cut, and that compared to the wealthy they did not get but a small percentage of the tax cut and it is far outweighed by the losses they are getting back in programs that might have helped them or their children. You know the truth is that there are only going to be so many great jobs to go around, so many good jobs to go around and then there are the jobs where you work your butt off and get paid the least, well someone has to do those jobs and they do them to survive, the gov. needs the working poor, who is going to clean up after everyone and who is going to be soldiers, the rich, what a joke? So to keep certain people in their own group and in their own class is essential to some.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
As some have said...we don't stand together. How true this is. United States my !@@. To those who say this won't make a difference and don't want to give it the time of day...you're right it won't make a difference. I personally won't spend a dime for the sole purpose of just maybe it might show our precious gov't that people actually care about now and the future. And if it doesn't do anything what did I lose...absolutley nothing. So why not? I'm all for trying to make a point. Thats what this is about. Not money. Buy all your crap the day before or on the day after because it's not about money.

Funny how easy it is to jump on the bandwagon for useless crap but nnot for something that may help.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by I See You]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join