It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Warns of Social Security Bankruptcy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Okay, I'm going to say

"That crazy hispanic chick didn't know! I swear!"

Let me know if that will work.

No, no you Val, you will never do something like that, I really love your sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Ahhh, but if fewer and fewer are paying into SS, what will happen to those of us, 40s and older, who will not have enough years to provide our own nest eggs?
Does anyone really have an answer for that??????

Well, the stock answer is, you should have been doing that all along, and not relying on SS as your sole source of retirement income.

But I think I know what you mean. From what I understand the investment option will be available to younger workers. There is no plan to cut benefits for current workers.

Another good point of the proposal is that your heirs can inherit the profits from your investment, if you want them to.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Okay, I'm going to say

ooooffff...
this should work! Its worked for me!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Okay, I'm going to say

ooooffff...
this should work! Its worked for me!!!!!

I think we should emphasize the language barrier.

marg...you need to get you an avatar dressed in black and white stripes for while you're in the pokey

[edit on 1-15-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well I would change it but I kind of got stuck with the one I got until the ATS upload is working again.

I was lucky at least I was able to keep one.

Hey black and white stripes, I tell you I think I am going for the one in texas that match everything in pink.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
No, Marg, if you want pink you have to move to Arizona
Joe Arpaio will set you up

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Marg, sweet Marg...

Texas is NOT where you want to go. You want to go to New Jersey! They coordinate everyone in fuchsia and passionate purple
!!

Seriously though, I prefer the California style of baggies and sandals all in a black and white ensemble rounded out with shaggy blonde hairdos...

Fear not, you are a citizen of the nation of fashion conscious jailers.

m...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Marg, sweet Marg...

Texas is NOT where you want to go. You want to go to New Jersey! They coordinate everyone in fuchsia and passionate purple
!!

Seriously though, I prefer the California style of baggies and sandals all in a black and white ensemble rounded out with shaggy blonde hairdos...

Fear not, you are a citizen of the nation of fashion conscious jailers.

m...

I wish I was in a more colorful area, or city, but I am stuck in the backwoods of Georgia, I hate it but I got not choice.

I am surrounded by churches and restaurants, Sunday's pass time! Church and Brunch.

Dg I guess Arizona will be, and for New Jersey my maternal grandmother live in New Jersey, and my husband was born in Paterson New Jersey too.

Now California I spend three years in 29 palms, and never got used to California to dry.

Yeah I got the best stake I ever had in Texas, and the best breakfast in Louisiana.

I have been across the US Four times, and three years in Hawaii.

I have been around quite a bit.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This worries me

- partly because I know Social Security was created to resue poor people who were left to die, broke at the end of their lives, spit out by the system when they were too old to work any more;

- partly because I know the FMD epidemic is disabling people at younger ages each new generation.

...Seems to me this is a big step backward. ....?

Some one just emailed me a link to a Social Security fact sheet:
www.moveon.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sofcrow I think no matter how hard the president tries to sell his reform is not going to pass the elderly in this country they are a force to be aware off.

They will give Mr. Bush a hard time.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Some one just emailed me a link to a Social Security fact sheet:
www.moveon.org...

Well, this is not the most reliable wesite in the world

In case you didn't now, even the SS plan we have now is slowly inching toward that magic 70 year old mark. People in their 50s are at about 66. People in their 40s are at about 68., You do the math.

One thing that link doesn't really delve into: the stealing/borrowing/screwing of the social security fund is a BIPARTISAN issue. In this case (and many others, actually) almost every politician is guilty. Why should they care? They don't have to worry----they will get nice, big, fat, safe, fedeal pensions when they reitre

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Ahhh, but if fewer and fewer are paying into SS, what will happen to those of us, 40s and older, who will not have enough years to provide our own nest eggs?

Well, the stock answer is, you should have been doing that all along, and not relying on SS as your sole source of retirement income.

But I think I know what you mean.

Well, sure, I do. But, I still look forward to that govt check. Well, heck, I'm gonna need it to be comfortable. Not fancy living, but cozy. I was never in an income bracket that allowed for much investing. Who thought of investing in the 60s and 70s???? When my generation was young, money and investing was not a big topic of conversation. That didn't really get going until the 80-90s.

The people who need SS $$$ the most are the very people who cannot afford to invest on their own.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sofcrow I think no matter how hard the president tries to sell his reform is not going to pass the elderly in this country they are a force to be aware off.

They will give Mr. Bush a hard time.

I agree with that, Marg.
AARP is not to be taken lightly. Unless they sell us down the river like they did for that phony drug benefits bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey ladies, notice most of the posts here are from women? What does that say? It seems whenever we talk about SS, its mostly the women doing the talking.

~~~~~~~~~~
@Soficrow,
this disease you are talking about is new to me. Please, please, share what you find.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

The people who need SS $$$ the most are the very people who cannot afford to invest on their own.

But why should I be penalized by my faithful 403B contributions? My biggest fear is somewhere down the line some fed will say hey you have a retirement, no SS for you cause the guy that ran up his credit bills and did not save a dime really needs it.

Just thought I would toss in some testosterone into this estrogen fest *flexes like Arnold, then gets in the kitchen and does the dishes before the wife gets home*

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
My biggest fear is somewhere down the line some fed will say hey you have a retirement, no SS for you cause the guy that ran up his credit bills and did not save a dime really needs it.

*SNIP*then gets in the kitchen and does the dishes before the wife gets home*

No, Fred dear, not those people who can't hold on to a nickel. Although, I'm not sure what would happen to them.

I mean the folks who never make much more than $20,000 a person or $40,000 for a family. Who really won't have enough to put aside. Okay, let's say dad can put aside enough for him. Now there's no social security for her. Of course, some IRAs provide for spouses, but......

And then, back to the guys who has holes in his pockets from the $$ burning thruogh. And the guy who squanders away his investments. And the guy who makes bad investments. Finalyy, the guys who is swindled out of his $$$.
But, WAIT, weren't those the very scenarios that led to the creation of SS???

~~~~~~~~
BTW, Fred, I noticed a few of those plates still have bits of food on them. And, that pan still has grease on it.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes maam!

Just for comparions sake, I posted another article about retired Russians protesting a reduction of benifits. They make do on like $13 a month
How long could we stretch SS at those rates???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I tell you what the days of retirement in florida and big campers are gone, the best think is to chose a good retirement comunity where you can have some fun under the sun.

I will never be like my husband's parents or my parent's retirement, they have not bills not house payments and all my fathers retirement goes to an account because he still have income at 70, the SS just goes to an account and he does not even need it.

What is the diference between them and us, well our government wants us in debt as much as they can.

My father never had a check book or a credit card when they were young now he has share check one and a sears card, funny ha.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Fred~~~~~~~~~~~
$13.00 wouldn't even cover one bill.

Marg~~~~~~~~~~
and on a related note, remember when our mothers didn't HAVE to work? When a single person could afford rent and a car payment with one job and no roommmate. Credit cards were uncommon, you might have just one. I figure the country went downhill after 11-22-1963 and after the recession in the 70s, prices went wild.

If my income kept up with houses and cars, I'd be making about $130,00 per years
ROTFLMAO

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You know, you are right, my mother when I was about 12 took a job, for about a year, she did not had to but she did, my father was always the provider, I was very surprised that after we all left the house my mother started working she was always active in local politics and did many dinners at home, but now she is working and has been working for about 7 years in the local city hall, she actually likes it. I wounder what happend to our generation why we have become so busy working to make ends met.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Why is this money not guaranteed anyway?

Our government seems to be able to afford handing out cash hand over fist to other countries for various reasons, why is that money not being put aside for this instead?

It seems to me that at the beginning of this administration, the Social Security Budget was running a surplus, where did it go?

If I refused to pay the government the money they claim I owe them, I would go to jail, yet they can deny me money that I paid out to them that is to be returned when I wish to retire, yet no-one is going to jail for that? Why is this?

I am not a expert on government issues nor financial ones, so maybe you guys can explain this further to me.

One more thing isn’t 401K and such based on the stock market. If I recall correctly I had friends that put a lot of money into that, and the stocks where not performing after 2001 anyway, so they where not going to get anywhere near what they where initially supposed to.

So lets say for a second that everyone does this and places their retirement in the hands of the stock market, and there is a disaster like the one in Asia which causes the market to crash, what happens to everyone’s retirement if it does?

Again maybe I just don’t understand the system, but in light of the world today, having most people rely on the stock market for their future retirement, seems like a good way to have most people out on the street with no income if the market goes belly up.

Also why should I continue to have to pay for something that I will never recieve? If I recall correctly that would not even hold up in a Civil court, where you have to prove that a service is provided for the money that was put out for a contract to exist.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me…

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join