It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short Stories Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am curious; who actually owns the content of the material posted here; the author, or does ATS have some ownership as 'virtual' world publisher? I have wondered this also regarding theories or treatises posted here; as ATS has been used as a graduate thesis test (battle) ground for input or for the collecting of debating points. Kudos for this unexpected service provided.
edit on 26-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
According to the T&C any post on ATS gives the poster and the site "non exclusive" rights. Meaning both can use them as they will.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
According to the T&C any post on ATS gives the poster and the site "non exclusive" rights. Meaning both can use them as they will.

What if both use those non exclusive rights (at will) at exactly the same time and the same information is identical (word for word); plagiarism accusations, finger pointing (someone has to pay for dinner to smooth this over).

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
do not touch 'reply' twice
edit on 26-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I don't really understand your question here. If you and the ATS people used the information at the same time, you would either out yourself as a member or owner of ATS.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Here's my understanding.

I put up a short story. ATS has non-exclusive rights to have my story "published" on their site. I still own the rights to my story and can re-publish it however I want.

Let's say ATS wanted to get into publishing some of the short stories themselves in a different format. Let's say, a short story ebook. That is where it breaks down for me - do they have to get permission to do this, and do I get royalties for my work?

I would love to know... Thanks! (From what you say, Intrepid, it looks like the answer is "no" on both counts?)

- AB

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard
Yes; this is my question as well; though not myself a 'writer' as you are; using this forum to advance copy your work to a readership (no editor or publisher); this one a virtual non publishing company.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I don't really understand your question here. If you and the ATS people used the information at the same time, you would either out yourself as a member or owner of ATS.

Simultaneous explosion (dark/light matter had a meet and greet that ended poorly).

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
As a matter of record, any publishing house wishing to publish a story posted on ATS will insist that the author delete that story anywhere it exists outside of that publishing house, including online.

In other words, they want exclusivity and having it posted on ATS won't do.

It has happened in the past that a member approached the owners of ATS to have their stories removed from here in the hopes of being published. The outcome was that the owners of ATS agreed to remove their stories after a copy/paste exercise and wished the member the best of luck.

Further to that, I will not disclose any more information on the case of said member.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

You have no problem with your paintings.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

But I'm not selling them on my webdsite, am I?

If I do, I show them in an established gallery, and that gallery can take up to 50% of the selling price (per painting) and they cannot 'own' whatever else I paint because they have no 'contract' with me. If they did, they might have a problem with my images being online.

It's all about the insertion of a 'middle man'.
edit on 28/5/16 by masqua because: clarity

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

But I'm not selling them on my webdsite, am I?

If I do, I show them in an established gallery, and that gallery can take up to 50% of the selling price (per painting) and they cannot 'own' whatever else I paint because they have no 'contract' with me. If they did, they might have a problem with my images being online. It's all about the insertion of a 'middle man'.

They can will take the 50% commission and when time to pay up burn the gallery down (Peter Miller) Chicago Il. I sold out of my studio; eliminated the middleman. Not arguing with you; just wondered how the written (lots of writers here) versus image makers relate to T&Cs.
edit on 28-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I told you how it works with ATS and the written word.

I also told you how I handle my paintings.

Other than that, I have no other thing to tell you. Perhaps you need to discuss your issue with the owners via PM.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

non issue, doesn't even make sense. Don't worry about others take care of your own art.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer
No need to protect at all; all creative effort belongs as a universal expression should be (shared with/for to by all). I know that my images have the potential to heal.
edit on 29-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

join