It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separating the Mandela Effect From Memory

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I find it absurdly fascinating that People still think we live in a real world made of solid matter.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
Have millions of people "come forward?" Can those who do not see the "effect" be ignored?

In any case, it's a well established psychological phenomenon that memory is subject to group consensus. The internet is a very strong medium for reinforcing distorted memories.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: CollidinParticules
a reply to: Phage

That's exactly the same thing. You don't see the need to consider it. Because you have decided it can only be due to faulty memory.

Correct.

I don't see the need to consider absurdly far fetched notions when the inaccuracy of memory is a well known phenomenon. I find that need to be fascinating.

After you keep adding enough assumptions, the probability that you're right drops to nearly zero.

You may as well be starting a religion around the "bad memory" theory. Why? Because it takes as much faith to believe that all of those results come from millions of people's bad memories as it does to believe in a full-blown religion.

Why do you see the need to attribute everything to one cause when there are so many possibilities? That's not being scientific, that's being dogmatic. If you're being dogmatic about something like this, no should even be debating with you about it.

I need to consider alternative theories to the "bad memory" theory because the evidence demands it. The probability that all of the examples we're dealing with can be attributed to "bad memory" is zero in my book. Look at this example:

The "bad memory" theory doesn't work with that one. You've got to use "incompetence" on the manufacturer's part or claim that it's fake or something similar.

According to the following video, we have newspaper clippings with advertisements for "Fruit Loops." If the newspaper clippings are genuine, it's not a memory issue we're dealing with. It would be gross incompetence by the advertisers. You're assuming that any professional advertising people would be incompetent enough to misspell "Froot" as "Fruit" in a newspaper advertisement. I can't imagine that happening. But, regardless, it's not a memory issue, it's a case of professional incompetence.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The "bad memory" theory doesn't work with that one. You've got to use "incompetence" on the manufacturer's part or claim that it's fake or something similar.
No, "bad memory" works just fine. The fact is that people are subject to "bad memory", including those who make and sell curios.

It would be gross incompetence by the advertisers. You're assuming that any professional advertising people would be incompetent enough to misspell "Froot" as "Fruit" in a newspaper advertisement.
No. But is it far fetched to think that the type setter would? www.dailyedge.ie...

All you have demonstrated is the strength of your confirmation bias. Selecting stuff that supports you and ignoring stuff that doesn't.

edit on 5/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
I find it absurdly fascinating that People still think we live in a real world made of solid matter.

Anyone doing that is ignoring science.

I don't know what the Mandela Effect is but I know that two continents and several countries have moved in my experience. Reality seems to be malleable indeed.

No. But is it far fetched to think that the type setter would? www.dailyedge.ie...

Of course that's possible. My only goal was to get you to admit that "bad memory" isn't the only possibility. I succeeded in that. I'm going to celebrate.

While "confirmation bias" may be applicable to the "Fruit Loops" example, I don't believe it fits with the case made in the following video.

How in the world were spellings that are alternative currently the more popular searches in Google just a few years ago?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

My only goal was to get you to admit that "bad memory" isn't the only possibility. I succeeded in that. I'm going to celebrate.
No. You did not succeed in showing that the product was ever named Fruit Loops. You did not succeed in showing that those who remember it that way are not misremembering. Or are saying that all those who remember it that way base their memory on a single typo?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

And your BTTF reference is bunk too. Vans in the 80s had logos that didn't have the defining gap when produced, not to mention aftermarket emblems made that were easier to.produce without the noticeable gap.

Next batter please.....
you again seem to be proving we are remebering right..... that picture minus the line, looks like how I remember, so driving down the road no one would see a gap like today....

When I see the volvo ford or VW logos now, I get a shiver up my spine.... creeps me right out!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Well you're probably not going to like what i believe, which is everything we think we see hear and experience is nothing more than Subliminal Suggestion, using everything we see, hear and experience to it's benefit.

It doesn't matter what people believe it won't change the dreamare into becoming real.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

My only goal was to get you to admit that "bad memory" isn't the only possibility. I succeeded in that. I'm going to celebrate.
No. You did not succeed in showing that the product was ever named Fruit Loops. You did not succeed in showing that those who remember it that way are not misremembering. Or are saying that all those who remember it that way base their memory on a single typo?

"My goal with this thread is to attempt to prove that there's evidence for the Mandela Effect outside of only people's memory."

That is the first sentence in this thread. I wasn't trying to prove that "Froot Loops" was once named "Fruit Loops." I don't believe that's possible.

However, if we have newspaper clippings with advertisements containing "Fruit Loops" then we have evidence for the Mandela Effect outside of only people's memory. I don't recall having defined Mandela Effect in this thread but I was referring to the following definition:

The Mandela Effect is a theory put forth by writer and “paranormal consultant” Fiona Broome that shared false memories are in fact glimpses into parallel worlds with different timelines.
Link

If you're going to ignore the evidence presented in the "Mandela Effect 003 - When did it start? - MultiEarth" video (the Google search results video that I posted in previous post) then I would say that you are engaging in confirmation bias.

There is nothing left to discuss if you're not going to consider all of the evidence I present.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Perhaps the problem is in your definition of evidence. You know, that confirmation bias thing.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You sure aren't responding to the video he posted.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yes, I did:

Perhaps the problem is in your definition of evidence.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well you're probably not going to like what i believe, which is everything we think we see hear and experience is nothing more than Subliminal Suggestion, using everything we see, hear and experience to it's benefit.

It doesn't matter what people believe it won't change the dreamare into becoming real.

I have no problem with that view. I wouldn't rule out anything at this point. I've contemplated the construct presented in the following video for years now. I think it could be metaphorical for something very profound. I would appreciate your opinion on it.

www.youtube.com...

originally posted by: hidingthistime
you again seem to be proving we are remebering right..... that picture minus the line, looks like how I remember, so driving down the road no one would see a gap like today....

When I see the volvo ford or VW logos now, I get a shiver up my spine.... creeps me right out!

I get that feeling about many things. The map of the world creeps me out the most.

PACIFIC OCEAN NOW AN ENTIRE SIDE OF GLOBE, HALF OF EARTH

The fact that that story isn't being discussed by billions of people means that it's always been that way for them. That's the only explanation.

That's confirmation bias by definition.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

No that's a response to a comment about the video, not to the contents of the video.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

No that's a response to a comment about the video, not to the contents of the video.

He seemed to balk at the idea of making millions of assumptions earlier in this thread. He doesn't seem to have a problem with making thousands of assumptions but when it gets into the millions, perhaps that's where a line needs to be drawn? After all, 'debunking' the video entitled "Mandela Effect 003 - When did it start? - MultiEarth" would require millions of assumptions.

I do not believe any theory to be true if it requires one assumption. When you get up to two, three, four, five, etc. assumptions, it's not even scientific to call anything absolutely true.

This thread has made me realize that I don't believe the Mandella Effect is where my focus should be. I think I should be focusing on the multiverse theory.

It is important to keep in mind that the multiverse view is not actually a theory, it is rather a consequence of our current understanding of theoretical physics. This distinction is crucial. We have not waved our hands and said: "Let there be a multiverse". Instead the idea that the Universe is perhaps one of infinitely many is derived from current theories like quantum mechanics and string theory.
Scientists think they know how to test the parallel universes theory - for real

It's already way beyond any discussion as to the possibility that the multiverse theory is true.

My next step in this journey is to study the multiverse theory and see where that leads me. My past is water under the bridge. I need to put all of this in perspective. I believe that's my only chance to understand what's going on.
edit on 28-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I'm just watching the Twilight Zone episode you posted, i can't believe i haven't seen this one!

Will respond later
edit on 5/28/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I enjoyed the episode, now i'm on a mission to watch a few more via youtube lol.

Very good thanks for that!

Ok so what do you believe precisely, and as you say you are open to anything? Maybe we could discuss this further and exchange notes?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
These threads always devolve into petty back and forth. Maybe it's because everyone is so defensive and exceedingly sure of themselves? Not sure. I'm not a debunker or an MEer but I don't see any definitive proof in this thread, just a bunch of youtube videos. I know that this can't be proven because we're in a different universe or something so what's the point in trying to win people over who haven't experienced this effect?

As a side note I wanted to say that misspellings and typos do happen in professional advertising all the time (just google typos in advertising). I have a whole book dedicated to humorous typos. Does this debunk anything? It probably won't change anyone's mind, but it proves that we're not infallible and make silly mistakes all the time.

edit on 29-5-2016 by bk2025 because: spelling

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I enjoyed the episode, now i'm on a mission to watch a few more via youtube lol.

Very good thanks for that!

Ok so what do you believe precisely, and as you say you are open to anything? Maybe we could discuss this further and exchange notes?

I do want to discuss it further with you and exchange notes so I sent you a PM.

originally posted by: bk2025
These threads always devolve into petty back and forth.

I don't think that happened in this thread. There was a lot of headway made. The problem is that there is certain evidence that none of the 'debunkers' want to discuss. There was some pettiness in this thread but it wasn't "petty back and forth" for the most part.
edit on 29-5-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

a reply to: noonebutme

And this is based on your thought process taking place within the confines of this little box, which was created around you by others?

No. Based on your proposition with zero evidence and the application of rational thought which dictates what is the more likely scenario.

My argument does not require the suspension of the laws of physics as we know.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join