It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VT Governor Signs Law Banning Conversion Therapy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

I believe what it means is that you can't make "cure" gender dysphoria with these types of therapy methods anymore than you can "cure" homosexuality. The current standard treatment of changing the body to match the mind is the best. Trying to change the mind to match the body just hasn't worked, and in some cases, has been more harmful.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Here ya go. legislature.vermont.gov...

In recognition that being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender is part of the 14 natural spectrum of human identity and is not a disease, disorder, illness, 15 deficiency, or shortcoming, the General Assembly finds: 16 (1) After conducting an evaluation of peer-reviewed journal literature on 17 sexual orientation change efforts, the American Psychological Association’s 18 Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation 19 concluded that sexual orientation change efforts can pose critical health risks to 20 lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I believe what it means is that you can't make "cure" gender dysphoria with these types of therapy methods anymore than you can "cure" homosexuality. The current standard treatment of changing the body to match the mind is the best. Trying to change the mind to match the body just hasn't worked, and in some cases, has been more harmful.

I'm not sure. That's why I would like to read it but I cant find the actual document.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I agree that this is an age of adulthood decision if there ever was one. At least here in the states as I cannot speak for other cultures. We don't allow those under 18 to get tattoos on their own, we don't allow them to vote, or allow them to destroy their lungs with tobacco, nor their brains with etoh. They are not allowed these things because they have not yet physically developed enough to make mature decisions on many subjects and allowing them to make permanent changes to their body during development can even stunt future development as should naturally occur. The damage caused by the things we ingest can make permanent changes to our brains having a negative impact on development.

The balance is hard to find on some points as we all differ somewhat in chemistry. If a boy's body is not producing enough testosterone during early development this can lead to a more feminine demeanor overall. What is the right choice? Let him be naturally who he is, increase his testosterone levels to attempt to increase his "manlyness", or go the opposite direction and give him more female hormone to attempt to force a female development onto a form that was naturally intended to be male?

As hard as it may be for a parent to deal with the gender identity issues our children face we have to be open minded while at the same time not allowing our own adult oriented ideas of gender identity influence the lives of our children. There are many options to look at if you worry your effeminate son is being bullied in elementary school because of it, you need to first realize kids are mean to each other, and these days there are many education options to get your child into a more positive environment.

By no means am I saying that we should run from these issues nor am I saying avoidance is the answer, but is can be a answer. We have to realize that it is the adult who is putting gender identity ideas and feelings onto our kids, at that age they could care less, they will play with anybody. That young all boys will put on high heels and a princess dress and run around the house. While you don't run over and slap them out of the shoes and dress, nor do you take them in for hormone treatments and promote that type of behavior.

Jr. High and high school are completely a whole new beast. Kids can be mean, teens can be monsters, young adults can be demon possessed monsters. I do not have a trans or even a bi child, my oldest son is 14 and in 6th grade he thought he was bi until I told him what it ment. Even at that age they are not developed enough to even know their body yet how it will be best defined for the rest of their lives. As above, until they are fully mature it is really the parents guiding the situation forcing their ideals and beliefs onto the child. Even though the parent is in charge they do have to deal with the fact that the body does belong to the child and the decisions you make early on can have drastic effects on the outcome.

I could never agree that a child's body should be changed from original equipment no matter how loud they yell about it. I hear Bruce Jenner Woman of the Year is already talking about changing back to all male. How could anyone think it's ok to make these type of permanent changes to a child's development. I am one who thinks we should not be drugging our children treating symptoms. They have to grow and be allowed to explore on their own. We can not treat their symptoms to bring US relief. It's usually not the busy child asking for help, it's the lazy teachers or parents who want something different than the child they produced. They aren't material things that you can dress up to suit your desires.
edit on 26-5-2016 by wastedown because: Grammar nazi evasion

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I would say its more like in most cases it's harmful.

It's pretty well known not being accepted by your family has pretty heavy consequences without a genius level emotional control ability. Even then it takes therapy or serious self work to get over the feelings of rejection.

Trying to convert somebody while the subjects of the conversations can readily and easily find information from science refuting the claims of religion is a pretty strong conflict for a persona to handle.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Here ya go. legislature.vermont.gov...

In recognition that being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender is part of the 14 natural spectrum of human identity and is not a disease, disorder, illness, 15 deficiency, or shortcoming, the General Assembly finds: 16 (1) After conducting an evaluation of peer-reviewed journal literature on 17 sexual orientation change efforts, the American Psychological Association’s 18 Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation 19 concluded that sexual orientation change efforts can pose critical health risks to 20 lesbian, gay, and bisexual persons.

Thank you
edit on 26-5-2016 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I read the document, it isn't about gender therapy.

Although I agree that gender therapy for people under 18 shouldn't be allowed, this law/act doesn't relate to that.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I don't think you have any idea what these parents of trans kids have been dealing with. Most of the parents absolutely do NOT want their kids to have to go through changing their name, their looks, their clothes, puberty blockers, hormones, etc. This is an extremely stressful time for everyone in the family.

This is NOT just about a little boy who puts on his mommy's shoes and his big sister's princess dress to play around in. My nephew did that some of that when he was two. It lasted about a month, then he moved on to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as his obsession. This is about a child who insists over and over and over again that they are not the gender their body says. This goes on for years. It gets to the point when the child becomes seriously depressed if they are ignored or told to stop the behavior. When your child stops playing and stops participating in school, and threatens to end their life, that as a parent, you have to do SOMETHING.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Can anyone find a link to the bill. It says in the article gender identity as well. I would like to see the wording as it relates to that.

Does it mean no converting to a different gender as well?

Need more information.

GASp then GENDER is MENTAL THEN??? OH NOEESSSSSSSSS!!!! So those Scientist and Psychologist were right all along. Im soooo shocked.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: In4ormant
Can anyone find a link to the bill. It says in the article gender identity as well. I would like to see the wording as it relates to that.

Does it mean no converting to a different gender as well?

Need more information.

GASp then GENDER is MENTAL THEN??? OH NOEESSSSSSSSS!!!! So those Scientist and Psychologist were right all along. Im soooo shocked.

Actually it means no more forcing children to go through abusive church camps , because some parent isn't happy they made a gay child.

A person has the right to make their own choices..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join