It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a new sci fi novel to read, any suggestions.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So I am getting back into reading and I am looking for a specific type of sci fi novel.

Right know I am reading "Cash Crash Jubilee", I am almost done, but not that impressed, too pg-13ish for me.

I read this novel awhile ago and was just blown away by it. It was called "Blueprints to the Afterlife". The book was so good I binge read it in about two days and I have been thirsting for something like it since, I have even re-read it a few times, which I never do.

So what I am looking for is something in the not too distant future, Kinda cyberpunky, it has to have humor and quirkiness but also be somewhat vulgar and very shocking.

Any suggestions?

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
alien and aliens....best...enjoy!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

The Arctirian Probe - Jose Argueles

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

My neighbor wrote a few books like that. His name is Russ Colchamiro.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The Martian is incredible and I really enjoy an author named Eric Red. He has a book about Pirates and Aliens called "It Waits Below" ... dude also has a really good cowboys and werewolves book, and his book White Knuckle is a great read as well.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Almost anything by Gibson or Cadigan.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

star wars extended universe titled death star, well written and story takes place up to the destruction of the first death star but takes place entirely on the death star. Remember when Han and chewy get chased by some storm troopers? one of those storm troopers has a back story in this book, anyway very cool back story's for alot of different characters that tie into a new hope story line.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Some old-school stuff I've enjoyed and will read again:

Childhood's End

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

The Mote In God's Eye

Slaughterhouse-Five

Good stuff. Epic, timeless reads.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The Water Knife. Takes place in the Southwest in the near future. Cities are fighting each other for water rights in a now dry-desert environment. I really enjoyed it.

WATER IS POWER

In the near future, the Colorado River has dwindled to a trickle. Detective, assassin, and spy, Angel Velasquez “cuts” water for the Southern Nevada Water Authority, ensuring that its lush arcology developments can bloom in Las Vegas. When rumors of a game-changing water source surface in Phoenix, Angel is sent south, hunting for answers that seem to evaporate as the heat index soars and the landscape becomes more and more oppressive. There, he encounters Lucy Monroe, a hardened journalist with her own agenda, and Maria Villarosa, a young Texas migrant, who dreams of escaping north. As bodies begin to pile up, the three find themselves pawns in a game far bigger and more corrupt than they could have imagined, and when water is more valuable than gold, alliances shift like sand, and the only truth in the desert is that someone will have to bleed if anyone hopes to drink.

edit on 5/18/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The Bible.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
The Bible.

Not really Steampunk-ish.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, I was just trying to be funny.. Lol

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

So was I.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
Some old-school stuff I've enjoyed and will read again:

Childhood's End

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

The Mote In God's Eye

Slaughterhouse-Five

Good stuff. Epic, timeless reads.

I hope you don't mind if I add "A Canticle for Leibowitz" to your classic list.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Philip k dick is by far my fav sci fi author. Someone already mentioned one of his, he has SO many that are amazing, most can be quick reads. I would also recommend a scanner darkly by him. Definitely funny, vulgar, predictive of things to come and just brilliant.

Also I would recommend gravitys rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Probably the best book I've ever read. It has everything. It can hardly even be described in a way that would do it justice here. But it would have me griping the pages reading fast and sweating anxious to see what would happen next, laughing out loud, being on the verge of tears, feeling enlightened...it's like no book you'll ever read, it borders on being art. It's not a quick read but it's worth every second once you get into it.

Then there are the staple classics. Brave new world, 1984, cats cradle.

That should at least get you started.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
So I am getting back into reading and I am looking for a specific type of sci fi novel.

Right know I am reading "Cash Crash Jubilee", I am almost done, but not that impressed, too pg-13ish for me.

I read this novel awhile ago and was just blown away by it. It was called "Blueprints to the Afterlife". The book was so good I binge read it in about two days and I have been thirsting for something like it since, I have even re-read it a few times, which I never do.

So what I am looking for is something in the not too distant future, Kinda cyberpunky, it has to have humor and quirkiness but also be somewhat vulgar and very shocking.

Any suggestions?
Years ago I read the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs...Enjoyed them immensely...

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

PERfect!! That offering would almost tend a person toward Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", except it wasn't necessarily a Sci-fi novel. Still, there are parallels...... *arches eyebrows*

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I found carpe noctem (sieze the night) by Dean Koontz to be a very interesting read.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
There are the newly republished Shadowrun Legends novels if you're unfamiliar with the first ones.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ugh..I tried reading "Zero History" I hated Gibson's obsession with fashion. I actually burned the book after about half way into it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join