It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Limits Of How Far Humanity Can Go In The Universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Thought this was pretty interesting. How far we can go and how far we have come accessing the known universe.

Where we are today.

Everything out there (along with us) is expanding. But, with our technology we can see it happen.

I liked this picture below showing how one day ( a few billion years) Andromeda galaxy 2.4 million lys away ..will collide with our milky way galaxy it will then

be called Milkdromeda!!

It seems though that most everything else is speeding away from us ..and at sometime in the far future ..all will be almost black...and if we could

somehow leave now and try and get to some distant star system ...only 3% would be accessible.

Here is a link to a lot of pictures and graphs and such ...and the story of where we are now. www.forbes.com...

edit on 13-5-2016 by Krypto1 because: spelling

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1

It is also possible that Andromeda will miss us altogether.

It is going towards our general direction, but there's a probably that our trajectories don't intersect.

Anyway, I believe that during that time Mankind will be but another Stone Age. Imagine billion of worlds, all with human civilisations who can hardly communicate with another, a cosmic Far West - that is the future.

The first shipmates that reaches a new world will carry but a finite supply of food and energy - which means that upon settling on a new world, they will quickly realise that they need to do with what's in their barren environment. No high-speed communication with their mother planet (communication is limited by the speed of light), no shipment of new toys from China (would take forever to reach the new planet), loss of existing tools (the tech they carried gets worn, rusted, and eventually break), and barely enough food to survive. Basically, each times a new star system gets colonised, human civilisation there resets to the Stone Age and has to evolve back from ground up (literally).

edit on 13-5-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krypto1

I liked this picture below showing how one day ( a few billion years) Andromeda galaxy 2.4 million lys away ..will collide with our milky way galaxy it will then

I remember once while in High school one of my teachers talking about how some day in "X Billions of years" our sun will most likely super nova on us and destroy the Earth.

After the class another student went up to him and nervously asked how long did the Earth have?
He reiterated X Billions.

She replied "Phew, I thought you said X 'Millions"

As if she would be around to experience it....

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Hahahah!!

As far as a super nova though..I think our sun is to small..I believe you need a sun to fall-in on itself with greater than 8 solar masses. (that will make a black hole too)

We probably will just become a white dwarf if were lucky..

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

We probably will just become a white dwarf if were lucky..

Yet the end result is the same.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The Sun will go to red giant phase in a few billion years, if current models are correct.

Earth will get roasted as it'll literally be inside the sun's expanding surface.

Solar cream won't be much help.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So just because we settle on a "new" planet
we will DEvolve into stone age...?!?
wierd

Sorry, but i just cant see that happening...

Well maybe, if there is a strange, funky microbe
like in Stargate SG-1 ep unknown. A light side and
a dark side.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Thought this was pretty interesting. How far we can go and how far we have come accessing the known universe.

Where we are today.

Everything out there (along with us) is expanding. But, with our technology we can see it happen.

be called Milkdromeda!!

It seems though that most everything else is speeding away from us ..and at sometime in the far future ..all will be almost black...and if we could

somehow leave now and try and get to some distant star system ...only 3% would be accessible.

Here is a link to a lot of pictures and graphs and such ...and the story of where we are now. www.forbes.com...

I think we are confined to our galaxy, but given enough time can colonize a big chunk of it.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The only confinement is our own minds..
That´s it...

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

If one can read ...this ..The Foundation series is a science fiction series by Isaac Asimov. It's pretty good for the time it was written. en.wikipedia.org...

I do believe the first hand held calulater was thought of by Asimov in the story (series) ..also how long it takes to expand humanity through out the galaxy. Lots of future thought in the series...

edit on 13-5-2016 by Krypto1 because: spelling

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
When you consider all the things that are very likely to happen in the near future, I'm saying that humanity has very nearly reached its limits, and we only have a very short time left. Even if we manage to survive the natural dangers, such as an asteroid strike, global pandemic or deadly radiation blast, we're still going to have to fight our super AI creations for resources. We're not well-designed for long space travel, and we're not going to have time to develop greatly advanced technology, so moving to other worlds is really just a fantasy.

Our intelligent robots might survive. But that's not really US, is it?

In any event, it's not going to affect us personally. We'll all be dead. DEAD!!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

What you wrote I agree 100% !! Especially the " asteroid strike, in bounds objects" , that there should get all the funding it needs ..to watch stuff out there and such...I mean..that is real time !!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What we thought then: Venus, Mars, the moon, other planets could have life and "gods".

What we know now: Space is completely devoid of life.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

It would help to know how big the actual universe is before we judge how far we can go in it.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
It would help to know how big the actual universe is before we judge how far we can go in it.

Hint: It's so big you can't even imagine how big it is.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

what i dont get about space exploration, is if we are so advanced in our mathmatics and scientific procedures and our tech is improving exponentially.

why can we still not predict with certainty if the two galaxys will collide or not.

one person says "yes" and one says "well maybe not". it should be yes or no answer.

same goes for asteroids, and other things out there flying around. you hear "well we may get hit" or "we may not" or "it may enter our atmosphere" or "it may not"

sounds like space is a big guessing game that we waste too much money on..

the whole thing has the slightest aroma of a scam.
edit on 13-5-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Vector99

Hint: It's so big you can't even imagine how big it is.

I think it's infinitely finite.

Chew on that

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: swanne
why can we still not predict with certainty if the two galaxys will collide or not.

Because of our observational time. It's pretty low.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

so we are not that smart and we will never go past the moon assuming we even did in the first place. sweet

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Funny, I was gonna make the same exact thread but you beat me to it! Check out this video about this very topic!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join