It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a WAVE!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The Double-slit experiment tells us electrons behave as particles, if observed and as wave, if un-observed, right?
That would imply reality, what "materialises" is one dot of an iceberg of possibilities.
This dimension of reality is the surface of the wave, which is made up by other waves influencing each other. Or "forces" as we call them. Just like "degree of freedom" for dimension, it really already says it all.
Each other dimension would be where one of the forces and its "dark counterpart" are absent.
Just time and information are everywhere. But these dimensions interact, like waves and contribute to what we perceive as material reality.
The least common force would be gravity.

What do you say?
Also I am sorry, there is no pseudo-science forum.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

If particles are the observed reality, and waves are the unobserved reality...what does that make the mental realm...particle or wave?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This just isn't even remotely close to what the double-slit experiment actually shows. It shows that the act of observing with an instrument in fact creates interference that guides the particle into one slit over the other. It also shows that in mathematics we deal with probability by statistically plotting it and can represent this as a wave function.

There's tons of statistics that follow this same wave function. It's just how things work. All the woo-woo surrounding this topic has to do from laymen trying to inject their beliefs where their knowledge and understanding of the science and the scientists use of specific words is lacking.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I think the outcome is even more strange than that. I believe that the electron behaves the way the observer expects it to. So if they expect a wave it's a wave and if they expected particle that is what they got. It implies that the observer decides and the electron reacts.
But that could be over simplifying on my part.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Do come in and make sure you bring your arrogance. We wouldn't want anyone going away without feeling stupid would we.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Never feed schroedinger's cat beer

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It only appears arrogant because it challenges your "belief" by providing knowledge.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Do come in and make sure you bring your arrogance. We wouldn't want anyone going away without feeling stupid would we.

LOL...from my layman's perspective, perhaps the fact the photon is what enables us to see the path of the electron (seeing with eyes, or artifical eyes / cameras / lenses is still observation either way) AND the photon is the Gluon that enables the electron...i would imagine (again, in laymans speak) that the mystery of wave Vs particle is probably entangled (no pun intended) and entwined with the photon.

An extremely tenuous hypothesis would be something like the photon is the force / gluon that enables the electron orbit in an atom...photons are diverted to the observer when we 'see'...photon carries the electron along an alternate path (to the observer) resulting in a wave like form.

I said it was tenuous...did i mention i was a layman?
edit on 13 5 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I think I recognize arrogance when I see it but if you like we can put it up for a vote.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

What knowledge do you think you provided with that? If you would gather more data, instead of feeling comfortable on top of your flawed theory, you would find out that the effect also occurs, if it is measured after it passed the slit.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You're being sidetracked by arrogance, don't allow it.

Now, shall we discuss my brilliant and much-better-than-everyone-else's post?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

According to the Einstein Podolsky Roson paradox you can only know location or speed. Once an observation is made you can't find out the other variable.

Hey how's that Sheldon wanna be. Not you MysterX that's for the arrogant one above your post. Bet he didn't expect me to throw those names in or know what their experiment entailed.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Look, people make all sorts of false assumptions surrounding the double-slit experiment. You hear people regurgitate it online all the time, and then it turns into woo-woo this or that.

It's very freaking simple, and if my words sound arrogant it's because I'm super-annoyed that people can't figure this out by now.

If I have... a basketball, and I chunk that at a moving bus, it's going to actually affect that bus, but it'll be so minute that it's path is for all practical purposes virtually the same. If I have two basketballs, and I bounce one, and throw another at that bouncing basketball, when the second ball of equal physical properties hits it, the bouncing balls course will be altered.

Now what do you think we use to "observe" these electrons? We use a very sensitive device that pushes out an electron. It's the same damned thing. We are only capable of observing things by interfering with it, in a very physical way.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Right, sorry.
Here 3000 atoms entangled by one photon. A result of treating it like a wave.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

You're just perceiving it as arrogance when really it's just scientific reality.
Some people put more stock in scientific evidence than woo woo beliefs, others would rather attempt to distort the science to support their woo woo.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Never feed schroedinger's cat beer

i never want to be near that box when its opened, an angry radioactive poisoned cat now covered in puke n piss from binge drinking. nonononono

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Exactly even the tiniest things influence each other.
Spooky action at a distance, 10 000 times faster than the speed of light.
Not in a different dimension, just in a different scale, particles behave as if the laws of physics were obsolete.
It is because below the surface, the atom structure, it becomes an ocean, every quark a drop of data, in an ocean full of streams of information, waves of possibilities.

Also why is this woo-woo? It's not like I said it is a hologram, simulation, or the signature of god...
edit on 13-5-2016 by Peeple because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

... is gravity really the force?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yep, its a wave… of particles. As above so below

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm an awareness surfer.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>