It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain’s first openly gay football referee quits due to homophobic abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Jesús Tomillero, who came out publicly last year, has announced that he is walking away from football for good as he cannot take the homophobic abuse any more.

His decision to award a penalty in a recent match was supposedly met with a torrent of abuse.

En este momento mi carrera arbitral, esta temporada queda terminada!! Contras los homófobos #RojaDirectaHomofobia pic.twitter.com/mLSvSfDmoa — Jesús Tomillero B. (@Jesustomille) May 9, 2016

"Someone among the visiting fans shouted ‘That’s the poof who was on the telly’, and ‘You can stick the goal up your arse, you f***ing poof’."

He said the worst thing was that everyone in the crowd laughed. He has made a formal complaint to the football federation. This will be his second complaint. They did not respond to the first complaint.

Am I missing something here? As a gay man I ask that sincerely. The only word that comes to mind is naive stupid.

For goodness sake, we are talking rowdy football fans. Sorry Jesús but you really did not think this one through ... oh and 3/10 for the sad face.

1 2

edit on 12-5-2016 by Morrad because: spelling

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

I have heard much worse than that at a Philadelphia Phillies game directed at children.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You mean he never, ever made fans angry with the calls he made before he announced to fans his orientation? And I'm sure no one ever called him gay before then either because no one ever uses that as an insult ... fans are horrible when ticked off and will yell anything no matter how ugly.

Or is it just that now that he's come out about it, he feels justified getting upset over it and taking it personally or deciding that he can make a big deal over it and make it personal?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Was he coaching Womens or Mens football?

It shouldn't matter, i just wondered.

2nd

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You mean he never, ever made fans angry with the calls he made before he announced to fans his orientation? And I'm sure no one ever called him gay before then either because no one ever uses that as an insult ... fans are horrible when ticked off and will yell anything no matter how ugly.

Or is it just that now that he's come out about it, he feels justified getting upset over it and taking it personally or deciding that he can make a big deal over it and make it personal?

He was a Football judge, I'm sure he has made fans angry before, heh, let's be honest now.

I think now that his sexual orientation became common knowledge, it gave pretty much everyone new ammunition.
edit on 12-5-2016 by MorganMorgan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I am not sure although it was under 19s league from what I have read.

He has started a petition on change.org as well. Google translates it poorly although you can get the gist.

The members of this association prison and repression suffered by our sexual condition in the dictatorship and the supposed retraining that was imposed was stitching footballs in the Prison of Badajoz. Today passionate about the Arbitrage citizen suffers homophobic harassment every time step on the grass.

On Saturday March 26, 2016, two teams of cadets (14-15 years) were playing a game of the Andalusian Senior League in the Linea de la Concepcion. Peña Madridista Linense received the Mirador: theoretically, a party for Jesus Tomillero, age 21, referee from the 11, a man who does not like watching football on TV but feels "passion" for refereeing: "It is what I like in life. "

Monday the referee informed the Royal Andalusian Football Federation his retirement as a referee because "not take any more insults."

Lin k

So he doesn't like watching football on tv but likes refereeing?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

His Facebook page suggests it was a parent.

Google translation

I had to remove the picture from the publication by federative personal document since they can punish me, just say I'm tired to continue happening now in a party of children 17 years old !! 2 young Andalusian in the town port, having called a penalty a spectator parent of a player san Fernado shot, he says this is the Maricon referee coming out on television after the penalty was a player san Fernado on the floor I remain at your side to help per what was in my chances and visiting delegate says "the goal penalty shove it up your ass fagot" being ... Etc !! I think it's unfortunate !! Unwilling to continue officiating the truth !! Goodnight

Link

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
People should know how to separate the personal from the professional. It's just immature to attack someone's sexuality because of a damn game.
edit on 12-5-2016 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The Sports Entertainment Industrial complex once again proving its worth. Humans are pathetic.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Morrad

I have heard much worse than that at a Philadelphia Phillies game directed at children.

Jesus Christ I LoLd so hard at that.
edit on 13-5-2016 by SmurfRider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's probably the most ridiculous spin I've ever seen. You're actually defending humanities depravity. Wow.

top topics

join