It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Halo Over Venezuela

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Early this Tuesday a solar halo was visible over the capital of Venezuela.

This is the first time i heard of this in the country, I always thought they form on winter mostly, and Venezuela is not specially known for being a winter country, with its proximity to the equator and all, but hey good to know that even as the surface is scorching at a comfortably 42C, there is some ice up there...

A link

Pretty stuff

On a side note some of my superstition prone countrymen express fear and concern over the completly natural and well known natural fenomena #proudtobeVenezuelan

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Great pics Indigent and thanks for sharing! This phenomena is truly a spectacle to behold. Just curious, any specifics on said superstitions?

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I thought sundogs just needed moisture in the atmosphere.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
cool stuff! I have seen the phenomenon here in my city a few times. Most people dont even care or notice though. I always think its a really neat thing to see, especially considering rulers in the past would use this natural thing as a way to manipulate peoples fears.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Nice sun dog!

They only need ice particles in the atmosphere to form.

In cold climates they are pretty distinct (they are not spread out). The one captured there seems more spread out than what I typically see.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Beautiful pics ! Usually happens under the right conditions from ice crystals way up above. . Storm coming your way?

What makes a halo around the sun or moon? There’s an old weather saying: ring around the moon means rain soon. There’s truth to this saying, because high cirrus clouds often come before a storm. Notice in these photos that the sky looks fairly clear. After all, you can see the sun or moon. And yet halos are a sign of high thin cirrus clouds drifting 20,000 feet or more above our heads. These clouds contain millions of tiny ice crystals. The halos you see are caused by both refraction, or splitting of light, and also by reflection, or glints of light from these ice crystals. The crystals have to be oriented and positioned just so with respect to your eye, in order for the halo to appear. That’s why, like rainbows, halos around the sun – or moon – are personal. Everyone sees their own particular halo, made by their own particular ice crystals, which are different from the ice crystals making the halo of the person standing next to you.

earthsky.org...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sourcery

Mostly bad omens for tomorrow, there are some manifestations programmed.

Some people in Venezuela are very superstitious and since Chavez came to power Santeria has rise in the country, if a dog farts its an omen...

If you want to someone smoke tobacco on you, spit some rum and smack you with some rue branches, Venezuela is your place

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ice crystals, but sundogs are actually something different usually paired with solar halos

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Right on man thanks for the info. I think it is only right that you should know though...I don't practice Santeria, and I aint got no crystal ball.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

My mistake. I thought that's what the halo things were called.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Early this Tuesday a solar halo was visible over the capital of Venezuela.

This is the first time i heard of this in the country, I always thought they form on winter mostly, and Venezuela is not specially known for being a winter country, with its proximity to the equator and all, but hey good to know that even as the surface is scorching at a comfortably 42C, there is some ice up there...

A link

Pretty stuff

On a side note some of my superstition prone countrymen express fear and concern over the completly natural and well known natural fenomena #proudtobeVenezuelan

Sun halos can form any time of the year, or season. By the time you get to three or four miles up, it's kind of cold, wherever you are. So if you are flying high...wear a coat.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Very cool. They can happen anywhere. I saw a lunar halo once in the south of France in summer. Very bright and super cool.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
At 5:30am this morning there was a beautiful double rainbow in central PA =D

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

These are not uncommon in Colombia. I've seen 4 of them in the 3 years I've lived here in Cali.

Very cool phenomenom..

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Nice pictures. I feel pretty lucky because solar halos and sun dogs, and lunar halos form here all of the time. I think Alaska probably has great conditions for this. I am almost always looking up so I never miss them.

Literally nobody cares when I point them out. Its Cool to see other people appreciate this stuff.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I've noticed that the halos always look the exact same diameter and the sundogs are always in the same spot and the same distance from the sun. Is that true?
edit on 10-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

There is variance. I don't know what the parameters are for determining the apparent size, but I know I've seen them in drastically different sizes (both Sun and Moon.)

Perhaps the ones you've happened to catch just happened to be similarly sized. I wonder if latitude and seasons have anything to do with it. If so, maybe there's less variance in size than here in the "South" (northern Illinois lol.)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
At 5:30am this morning there was a beautiful double rainbow in central PA =D

Dont mean to be a d*ck, but every single rainbow is a double rainbow. Look closely, you will see the second one, always

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

no reason to tell the cows then?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: 3danimator2014

no reason to tell the cows then?

No, it would be a moo point telling them

top topics

<<   2 >>