It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31 Important Mental Health Tips You Should {maybe} Try Right Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sally Tamarkin
BuzzFeed Staff
"Know that you deserve to get help."
"31 Awesome Mental Health Tips From Real People"
"We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the best mental health advice they’d ever gotten. Here’s what they said:"
www.buzzfeed.com...

1. Know that it's OK to not be OK right now.
. . .
2. Know that you can't change a situation by worrying
OVERTHINKING
. . .
3. Don't always listen to the voice in your head.
. . .
5. Know that you deserve to get help.
. . .
I’ve struggled with feeling like my mental health issues aren’t really that bad and that has very much affected how and when I seek treatment. My therapist told me that no matter how mild or how severe, my depression matters and it deserves to get treated. I got told that I deserved to get help, and that changed how I view my mental health entirely.
—Rebecca Taylor
. . .
12. Express gratitude.
. . .
13. Remember that no one is judging you as much as you are.
. . .
15. You don't have to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.
. . .
16. Know that mental healthcare isn't one-size-fits-all.
. . .
19. Learn to tell when the voice in your head belongs to your depression.
. . .
20. Don't let other people's chaos become your chaos.
. . .
24. Just say "no" if you really need to.
. . .

This appears to largely be a collection of insights from laypeople. Probably a lot are quotes of their therapists but maybe not.
I think the vast bulk of them are quite insightful and useful. I don't recall any that would be useless or harmful.
I think the narrative under each heading is clear and practical.
One of the recurring themes is to break things down into bite sizes that are easier to handle--whether that would be time [get through the next 10 seconds] or dividing the problems into categories and putting each category or sub-section in its place.
I think it is important to share such articles as this because the vast majority of people who desperately need therapy--and those less desperately needing therapy will simply NOT go get it. They won't risk it or are not willing to pay for it nor seek free counseling at an agency. Therefore, information like this is as close as many people will get to receiving therapeutic input.
If you have experiences that bear on this OP, please share them.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
-
edit on 5-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
#32- don't create a thread for every single thing you click on.....

edit on 5-5-2016 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Edit

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs
You delete so many of your posts.....why?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Someone asked me a question. That's a first.

Well, I came to this site and assumed you could joke. Found out the hard way people here are prissy, into "therapy" and don't like jokes. Essentially came here for an adventure and got people assuming otherwise.

Now I'm just taking the Mick.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Is the deletion of your posts the joke? Or what was deleted from them? If the latter a following question would be why even post them.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Oh yeah, and the sites I visit are conversational, you can trash talk, etc. This is...uhh..I dunno. People read way too much into little things, so...not sure what else to say. I delete half my posts as well because I go to say something and realize I don't care enough to "change the culture" so I leave it at that.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Is the deletion of your posts the joke? Or what was deleted from them? If the latter a following question would be why even post them.

Oh come on.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Come on what?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

You can pm me if you want, the ever present "ot" factor.

ot. yes. you need to stay on topic. There is a chit chat forum, if that is what you are looking for. There is a structure here.
edit on 5-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

(post by breakingbs removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Attention...

Please stay on topic......You are responsible for your own posts.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!
edit on Thu May 5 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
But, but, if I don't listen to that voice in my head, nobody will ever get to hear it. It is me discussing stuff with myself to try to practice saying things. Prep work. Also without paying attention to that voice I wouldn't have anything worth saying, it would be like blabbing and saying nothing worth hearing.

The voice told me to write this, I listened to the voice as I type every time, talking within my head and translating it into type.

But then, I like being a little nuts, how many sixty year olds take a dozen and a half free college classes. It beats shoveling snow in the winter and freezing your butt off ice fishing.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'd think you listening to your inner dialogue would be likely constructive and productive.

The article was not talking about SUCH folks as that.

The article was talking about people for whom their inner dialogue is dysfunctional, destructive, depression producing etc.

Thanks for your kind post.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

12. Express gratitude.

This one's an 'unsung hero.' I came across a website some years back... a Gratitude Log where you just logged daily the things you were grateful for that day (people, situations, occurrences, etc.) It never failed to re-boot my outlook on life.

19. Learn to tell when the voice in your head belongs to your depression.

This one's powerful. It's so hard to do this when you're feeling low, but it's so crucial to happiness!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join