It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Duty Fail. A sad eye opener

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

She always struck me as walking a very thin line between a rock and a hard place. She knew something…

Her mom covered for him, too.

A family of secrets, difficult situation, covering for the child molester in the family is a bizarre twist to a sad case.

Edit: I understand why she was too intimidated to come forward. Look at what she faced, life in prison for the murder of her own daughter. That the prosecutor's case was a bunch of empty forensics speaks even more volumes. Why would they also protect him if they knew she didn't do it?

Ewww… deeeep river.

Finally, that the investigation didn't continue, seeking the real guilty party kind of seals it. If it wasn't her, then someone else in the family is the most likely suspect. The whole show trial was an exercise in cover up.
edit on 4-5-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Her mom covered for him, too.

A family of secrets, difficult situation, covering for the child molester in the family is a bizarre twist to a sad case.

I never quite knew what to make of the mom. That she was covering/hiding something was obvious, and I felt like Casey had a love/hate relationship with her.... and not in the normal sense of every teenage girl's love/hate relationship with her mother. (I used to feel like a pushme-pullyou with my daughter! Pushing me away with one hand even as she was pulling me close with the other!!!) But it made sense if her father was sexually abusing her. Of course Casey would desperately want and even expect her mother to protect her and keep her safe, and I suspect her mother tried to do what she could, but God only knows what threats and abuse the mother herself endured. Not to make ANY excuses for the mother, but she was probably walking that same fine line between a rock and a hard place.

I couldn't do it. I'd go psycho witch and let the chips fall where they may, figuring it couldn't be any worse.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

If he could be asked, i wonder if Jeff Dusenbury would think it was fair...actually, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't.

But why bother about him, when his killer's education is at stake?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I couldn't do it. I'd go psycho witch and let the chips fall where they may, figuring it couldn't be any worse.

Good for you. But think about it. Nobody would believe you. After all, they didn't believe the attorney, either. Remember her attorneys opening statement? He out and out accused her dad of sexual abuse and no one batted an eye. It never came up again. At first she lied and ran, making her look guilty. She knew her mom would side with the old man, she did when Casey were being abused. Mom was a victim too, like you said. So sad.

Probably more like trapped. Victims in these kinds of cases are bullied, threatened and even killed. Scary stuff. They may even stay with their abuser out of fearing for their lives, so intimidated they can't resist and can't leave. Its happened before with other sex slave cases.

I can't remember specifics about the one the guy kept the girl in a box for years, she was so brain washed and conditioned she was even let out the house by herself to go shopping. Eventually she came to her senses, but that was a severe case, not unlike the Anthony family, just way more serious.

Remember the Mendez brothers? They killed both their parents with shotguns. Accusing their dad of severe sexual and physical abuse for years since an early age, the mom also trapped in the relationship because of the abuse she suffered too. They suffered long together as a family before finally imploding.

It shows the mental and emotional power some can have over others.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I've been picked for 2 juries...vehicular manslaughter, and 2nd degree murder.....nothing the OP has said, comes remotely close to what he wrote about, in those 2 jury trials......

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Good for you. But think about it. Nobody would believe you. After all, they didn't believe the attorney, either. Remember her attorneys opening statement? He out and out accused her dad of sexual abuse and no one batted an eye.

I think people have become numb to it. Not just because we hear about it so often, but because of who it too often is... like priests and teachers and Boy Scout leaders and politicians and doctors and on and on. People in positions of influence and power and authority -- and all protecting each other -- as they preach one thing and do another. Not all, of course, but too many and too often. The trust, respect, esteem -- gone. We expect the worst.

It never came up again. At first she lied and ran, making her look guilty. She knew her mom would side with the old man, she did when Casey were being abused. Mom was a victim too, like you said. So sad.

I've wondered if she was threatened -- even told to disappear -- or else... She knew what her father was capable of. And that her mom wasn't capable of stopping him or protecting him. Not to mention he had at least some dirty support from police buddies.

Probably more like trapped. Victims in these kinds of cases are bullied, threatened and even killed. Scary stuff. They may even stay with their abuser out of fearing for their lives, so intimidated they can't resist and can't leave. Its happened before with other sex slave cases.

Trapped is a good word for it. This is true for any battered woman; Casey and her mom knew that Dad had the cops on his side too. Mom's in too deep now to ever get out of it. She let it go on too long.

Remember the Mendez brothers? They killed both their parents with shotguns. Accusing their dad of severe sexual and physical abuse for years since an early age, the mom also trapped in the relationship because of the abuse she suffered too. They suffered long together as a family before finally imploding.

It shows the mental and emotional power some can have over others.

It sure does. And I think it's just as true on a political level. Constant conditioning to accept -- and celebrate -- our overlords... for our own good. Threats, intimidation, bullying, and thugs with badges and guns. "Comply and submit to our authority, or we will use our power against you.... we can and will destroy you one way or another... including killing you."

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I can count on both hands the number of times I've been the victim of a crime, ranging from minor to extremely serious. Every time I reported it as I was supposed to. EVERY time NOTHING happened. They didn't even investigate properly, much less give me my day in court. I was even the victim of an Aggravated Assault and they turned around and charged ME with Assault...because the assaulter had a scratch on his cheek and choking (what he did to me) doesn't leave a visible mark. (charge dropped BTW...2 years later, and did NOT turn around and charge him)

Just this past January I sold a bunch of property to a woman. She paid about half in cash and wrote me a check for the rest. Since we had done business before, I trusted her. Big mistake. I'm sure you can guess the check bounced. I have a million text messages from her promising to pay me, but I haven't seen a dime. I've got a copy of the check from the bank with her name and address and bank account information. Here in Texas 'Theft by Check' is a Class A Misdemeanor when it falls withi the range this $1000 check does. The Sheriff's Office wouldn't do anything, referred me to the County DA's office. Who have so far done nothing.

The people who think the system is going to be there to set things right are in for a rude awakening if anything bad is ever done to them. I swear the 'system' is just there to give us the illusion of order. I don't know who it works for, but it's never been me.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

But think about it. No one would believe you.

None of my accusations even made it to trial, so I never even had a lawyer going to bat for me. But SOOOOO many times I state a fact. And they just ignore it. It's friggin mind blowing. Even a basic investigation, or basic questioning would be able to verify things. Didn't even happen.

In the case of the Agg Assault where I was charged....the only witness was my friend who was with me. He and I both were telling 100% truth and the actual assaulter was lying his butt off. The police AND prosecutors refused to even contact the witness. "He's your friend"....I'm sorry, but since when does relationship to the victim prevent someone from being a witness??? Even if he was lying, some basic questioning would figure that out real quick.

And also, the assault occurred in an ER. The head of security told me personally that they turned over all surveillance to the police. But...the police mysteriously lost it at some point. So you have one guy going "I turned evidence over to police." And police going "We don't have any surveillance footage." SMH It's like the damn Twilight Zone.

People have no idea how easy it is for 'them' to just simply ignore you. Then what do you do?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
I can count on both hands the number of times I've been the victim of a crime, ranging from minor to extremely serious. Every time I reported it as I was supposed to. EVERY time NOTHING happened. They didn't even investigate properly, much less give me my day in court. I was even the victim of an Aggravated Assault and they turned around and charged ME with Assault...because the assaulter had a scratch on his cheek and choking (what he did to me) doesn't leave a visible mark. (charge dropped BTW...2 years later, and did NOT turn around and charge him)

Just this past January I sold a bunch of property to a woman. She paid about half in cash and wrote me a check for the rest. Since we had done business before, I trusted her. Big mistake. I'm sure you can guess the check bounced. I have a million text messages from her promising to pay me, but I haven't seen a dime. I've got a copy of the check from the bank with her name and address and bank account information. Here in Texas 'Theft by Check' is a Class A Misdemeanor when it falls withi the range this $1000 check does. The Sheriff's Office wouldn't do anything, referred me to the County DA's office. Who have so far done nothing.

The people who think the system is going to be there to set things right are in for a rude awakening if anything bad is ever done to them. I swear the 'system' is just there to give us the illusion of order. I don't know who it works for, but it's never been me.

I can say with honesty that I have the same experience. I was the victim of a domestic assault, my attacker broke my arm, I managed to escape and call the police and they arrested ME because my attacker was in his 50's. That was literally the explanation given to me by the arresting officer.

I was also just recently the victim of an attempted insurance scam. A taxi cab claimed that I had hit him and ran, called in my plate. Despite having a brand new car with temporary plates still and absolutely zero damage on the vehicle, knowing that no accident had occurred, I was arrested anyway. Not only was I arrested for Hit and run, Hit and Run w/ property damage, but they added DUI [for a 3rd charge] to it claiming that I refused a breath test, despite my police report specifically and in no uncertain terms stating that my Coordination was NOT impaired and was "Normal" and there was No Odors of Alcohol. For the record I was never asked to blow, alcohol was never mentioned once in my stop.

In the end, there was a trial by judge [I was denied my right to a jury trial, the judge whisked it away with some weak explanation that one wasn't required because it was a Misdemeanor charge] and I was found guilty of reckless driving. No accident took place, the charges of the accident were dropped, there was no witness against me, the accuser never even showed up, I had 2 witnesses myself in my favor and I was still found guilty by the judge for Reckless driving. This meant 6 months of probation, 50 hours of community service, An 8 hour High Risk Driving Program course, a 1 year suspension [which was enacted the day of my arrest, because you lose your license mandatory for 1 year if any police officer claims you refused on-site testing, there is no appeal for this either], 3 8 hour days of DUI School that cost 500$ who then referred me to counseling at the evaluation, which was not an evaluation. They asked me 0 questions and said the referral was automatic based upon the charges from the original arrest [not even what I was actually being charged with by the DA] 2,000$ in fines, 850$ in court fees, $300 in probation fees, 600$ to have my vehicle released from impound [it's automatically impounded the second you refuse a breath test or an officer claims you did] a 3 hour HiV education class, an 8 Hour course about Trauma at the hospital, 12 Ten panel drug tests + alcohol screening at 79$ per test. 12 counseling sessions minimum and can be extended indefinitely by your counselor if he sees fit at 70$ a session. I was found guilty by judge of a reckless driving with no evidence at all. I also had an attorney and they just ignored him and threatened him every time he spoke up for me that he'd be held in contempt if he kept doing his job.

All because the taxi had a leaking radiator. All of that drama for a 135$ repair on a taxi pushing a million miles. And I WAS THE ONE ARRESTED -- not the taxi driver, who could have been arrested for making a false statement and insurance fraud. In the end, he never sued me and I didn't even have to pay for the damage -- they literally threw out his claim outright. Now suppose that I was responsible and I DID hit him, how would that even be right? The police also never even asked me for my insurance information, so the driver of the taxi, my accuser had all of his options denied to him as well. The only reason for that I could see is because they knew it was fraud and the officers at the scene must have knew the guy. That's literally the only thing I can think of.

I'm afraid of the police -- even if I'm in a life or death situation, I will NEVER call them ever again. Calling them is risking death and is also risking them ruining your life. What people don't get is that Police are just normal people, which means they are just as susceptible to crime as everyone else, they are also just as susceptible to making mistakes as everyone else. If you give people power to do illegal things and get away with it, more OFTEN than NOT they are going to do illegal things because they know they'll get away with it. I also had 137$ cash in my wallet and that was stolen too, the police claim I had 17$ on me and it cost 50$ to be arrested -- so somehow I owed money. The arresting officer just pocketed my 120$.

Not all police are bad -- just most of them, because most people will do what ever they can to look out for themselves if they are given immunity for those actions. Police aren't your friend, they are your enemy and they actively create the disdain and contempt they receive. Anybody who supports PD's just hasn't been a victim of them yet, keyword being yet.

The long story short -- don't live in Florida -- don't even visit it unless you're staying ON Disney property.
edit on 5-5-2016 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

Dang that sucks! Sorry that happened to you, but it makes me feel a little better that it's not just me.

A few years ago I was in a counseling session. I had just hit the 'highlights' of all the times in my life I've been boned. I asked the counselor "I know you're not supposed to discuss your other patients and all that, but don't I have exceptionally bad luck with this stuff?" She replied "Yes, you've had a surprisingly large number of bad experiences but I'm especially shocked at how often the system failed you. They should have done x, y, z. I just can't believe how you've been treated."

I can't even remember the woman's name, but that was the most successful counseling session I've ever had. Just the fact that I was validated by an objective professional.

I agree, avoid cops at all costs (and I used to be one). Because even if you get a decent cop (which isn't guaranteed) you are then passed on to detectives and lawyers- who aren't guaranteed to do their job properly.

I would also like to add, avoid hospitals and doctors (and I worked in health care for 7 years too) unless your guts are literally hanging out of your body...and even then, try duct tape first!

edit on 5-5-2016 by ladyvalkyrie because: add

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

None of my accusations even made it to trial, so I never even had a lawyer going to bat for me. But SOOOOO many times I state a fact. And they just ignore it. It's friggin mind blowing. Even a basic investigation, or basic questioning would be able to verify things. Didn't even happen.

I don't know what to do about that. The world is so stacked against physical and emotional trauma that doesn't leave any actual scars. So sorry because I know how deeply it affects people in your position. They act like emotional trauma doesn't exist except in our imagination.

The world seems full of cretins sometimes, taking advantage of vulnerability and getting off scott free. As hard as that sounds, we have to find someway to let the resentment go, so long as we dwell on it, it festers.

I know what I'd like to do, but then I'd become just like them.

Ever see Burt Reynolds in Heat? That girl got her some payback. Not real world justice, just Hollywood.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I think people have become numb to it. Not just because we hear about it so often, but because of who it too often is… like priests and teachers and Boy Scout leaders and politicians and doctors and on and on.

Exactly. Pedophiles are attracted to venues where they know they can get the children alone, with full trust, because they're a priest or scoutmaster.

No one will ever suspect them. Who else do we allow to take our children into the woods for a week?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It's not even emotional trauma (which definitely makes it worse).

It can be a CLEAR CUT breaking of the law. Or CLEAR CUT breaking of the rules.

"Bob broke this law. Here's the wording of the law. Here's what he did. Here's the evidence. Boom."
And the investigators just straight up ignore you.

I filed a complaint against a supervisor once for a rule/LAW violation (forcing me to work too much overtime). And he responded to the complaint with EVIDENCE of the accusation! aka the overtime cards with HIS signature at the bottom. And nothing happened to him. I mean, seriously, what do you do with that???

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

"Bob broke this law. Here's the wording of the law. Here's what he did. Here's the evidence. Boom."
And the investigators just straight up ignore you.

The lawmakers are often immune. The law is established for us to obey and them to skate or manipulate.

If you agreed to work the OT then you don't have a complaint. He would have fired you if you didn't work it, maybe.

Rock and a hard place. One time I worked for a computer company that was polluting the employees all day with exhaust from a wave solder machine that wasn't vented to the outside. I called then OSHA and all they wanted to know was my employee number. Nothing was done about that either.

I figure I would have been fired if I gave them my company ID #.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If I had known then what I know now I would have told them to f*** off and walked off the job and gone home and gotten some rest and taken whatever BS discipline they could come up with.

I was sick, injured and loaded up on prescription steroids. I had no idea that the additional sleep deprivation would break my brain and leave me permanently disabled. I begged them to let me go home all that last day and they wouldn't let me. I HATE being in trouble, so I followed orders like a good little prole. Staying at work was definitely against my will and hazardous to my health.

I've got many more examples, that one just happened to be short, clear cut and on the top of my head.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

If I had known then what I know now I would have told them to f*** off and walked off the job and gone home and gotten some rest and taken whatever BS discipline they could come up with.

Next time. By the by, I've done that. One time I took a day off on a Monday after the end of the month. Single handedly gave them the best month of shipments they ever had. First time we broke the million dollar mark, with units shipped.

Everyone else got bonuses, two week vacations in Hawaii, I got a promise .

I was so tired I took the day off. When I got back on Tuesday, the head boss dragged me into his office and fired me. But gave me an extra severance to make up for it? Turns out they closed the division the next month, layed everyone off, they planned it ahead of time, were waiting for an excuse to start…

My absence was technically unexcused. No leg to stand on.

I look back on the injustice of it now and muse, what a bunch of conceited assholes, never liked working for them anyway. They made big promises but never intended to take the company very far anyway. The whole time they knew they were gong to shut it down for the money, just as soon as the company was worth something.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
As an attorney I can say there is no justice system, only a legal system. Justice happens occasionally and many times accidentally, kind of like the "broken clock is right twice a day" thing. I am working hard towards getting out and if I never encounter the word "law" again it will be too soon because it is essentially a scam. I did what I could to play a part in bringing real justice but I cannot begin to say how much this all reminds me of a movie script with a corrupt city hall, or a third world country run by criminals. It is a joke and I am done with it.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Visiting ESB

You can fight the system, but it's a beat down. And the house always wins.

If you're able, keep trying. Unfortunately I'm disabled and can't even work food service despite 16 years work experience and a Bachelor's Degree. If I were at all able, I'd still be a thorn in the system's side and a champion for the little guy.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I can't remember exactly the number but somewhere around 90% of all convictions are plea bargains. There's no such thing as a fair trial or innocent until proven guilty. You're guilty until proven innocent. If the DA says your going to get 30 years unless you take the plea for 10 years guilty or not your best option is the plea. A lot of people don't have to money to get proper representation. When your attorney makes a living chasing ambulances the best you can do is take the plea.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

It's funny you say that. Because they offered me a plea deal. (I was the victim of agg assault and I defended myself) I told my -court appointed- lawyer that I was disabled and wouldn't be able to pay their fees if I took it. She told me there was no such thing as debtor's prison...total BS, of course they'd throw your a** in jail if you can't pay your probation fees.

Even though I knew I was the victim, I was so sick and tired and beat down by this crap dragging on for almost 2 years that I actually considered the plea. I meditated/prayed on it. That night in my dream I was telling someone the story and this older lady came up to me and said "Excuse me, I don't mean to eavesdrop, but I used to be a judge and let me tell you DO NOT PLEA if you know you're innocent." The next day I called the lawyer and told her no deal, take it to trial.

The prosecutors called in the poor 6'02" 350# guy that I supposedly beat up to talk to him (I'm 5'1", 130# female btw). I'm sure he made a complete a** of himself since he had been lying from day 1. Whatever went down, they dropped the charge...almost 2 years to the day that the incident occurred. The exact statute of limitations so I was left unable to do anything to seek justice for myself.

NEVER PLEA!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join