It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally got rid of Windows OS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
If anyone is thinking of swapping OS's or even taking MS up on their freebie upgrade option they should buy an external drive and using some imaging program such as macrium reflect (free version) and image the drive as at a certain point so if you aint happy you can return to what you know.

Yeah. Just make sure you do it exactly right. Computers love to pull surprises on you when you think you've got everything covered.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I was using the old 5" floppies on my old 286 so I go a little further back to the day's of wolfenstein, I also remember the older 5.25 and 8 inch but my joy back when was more was my old commodore.

I have to say you are wrong, windows 10 is simply awful, I never hated Microsoft but am beginning to now because of this.
I never liked Gate's though, of course I used DOS a lot but remember he actually only refined it, he bought it off a computer programmer whom had created it in his garage by the name of Tim Paterson.

Gates was never the genius that he is made out to be, he was a consumate salesman though and a more than fair programmer in his own right but it was his skill in gaining a contract to supply MS dos, his refined version of Paterson's work to IBM that made Microsoft a brand name.
Now while you can argue that Paterson copied or rather emulated many elements from CPM and dos itself was less than Original you can also argue that Window's took it's inspiration from Apple.

Windows 10 is an ad delivery platform, has an in build Key Logger www.pcworld.com...
And also much more spyware.

It is a good operating system if you get rid of the problem's but only then and I have had more freeze up's and crashed with 10 than I ever had with seven.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I agree with you. Gates was a great sales person. He knew where to go!!!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: LABTECH767

I agree with you. Gates was a great sales person. He knew where to go!!!

Just the same as Steve Jobs.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Jobs never gave up. He called and called and bugged lol. He also found the right people to build everything. Right on.
👍🏽

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

You actually have a good point, Job's though did bring the mouse and icon style to personal computing but if I remember vaguely I believe he may have copied the concept from an earlier programmer whom developed a mouse and icon system for use on a mainframe.

Ah here is a wiki with some interesting information going back into the depth's of modern computer history - well at least as far as the 60's.
en.wikipedia.org...

From this information it was actually a guy by the name of Engelbart whom came up with the concept for the mouse and there is an image of one of the early prototypes on the right hand side.

Now I actually use a trackball not a mouse, I just find it far more comfortable moving two fingers with far more precision than moving my whole arm with far less precision, I also don't ned a mouse pad but it is what you get used to I suppose and of course the Trackball is older than the mouse from at least as far back as 1952 in fact but this was not the ergonimic device I use today, it was in fact a five pin bowling ball, yes I had to read that twice as well, would not want to drop that on my foot.
www.historyofinformation.com...

Thank's for pointing that out, I knew something but nothing at a clear memory level and you actually jogged my memory which sent me off on this quick search, interesting though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join