It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally got rid of Windows OS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've been trying to make the transition to Linux for a while but I guess I'd never been serious enough about it until now,I've been dual booting Linux and Windows 7 64bit for some time now but Linux had been mainly a novelty. Yesterday I decided I should make the transition permanent to make it easier for me to focus on more important tasks than some of the games I had installed on Windows,which so far has been working great because none of my games are Linux compatible,the games I had on Windows have just become too much of a distraction for me and the approaching Windows 10 forced upgrade(AKA Microsoft's W10 Virus) put me in this corner of dealing with Windows 10 + my distractions or install Linux and regain focus I've lost playing games and focus on working on coding again.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

sounds like you have an addictive personality. Stay clear of that which would causes you to spend time on and return nothing.

Work hard, save money where you can, live simply that is what I have had to do.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Built in Wine should help you get back together with your Windows based games...

Come back to the dark side! We'll give you an Achievement!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

sounds like you have an addictive personality. Stay clear of that which would causes you to spend time on and return nothing.

Work hard, save money where you can, live simply that is what I have had to do.

Not really,I just procrastinate too much and it doesn't help when you have distractions.
If I had an addictive personality I'd be addicted to very many things,I had simply formed a habit out of playing games,I would play maybe 10-12 hours a week total across 7 days,that hardly constitutes an addiction. Sounds like you are the type that thinks you have someone figured out from just a few tidbits of information. A habit can be dropped with no withdrawal symptoms,an addiction can not be.
edit on 2-5-2016 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Not even a gamer but I still find it impossible to leave Windows even with all the chaos they're causing with W10. I won't "upgrade" though. I have to put up with being bullied by just about everyone else. I'm not going to pay for software that bullies me.

The irony is that most Windows users were fine with Microsoft before this train wreck. All they did is pissed a bunch of people off.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I'd dearly love to do that, but, on our computer, my wife's favorite games I guess are all windows based. She likes the adventure card games from Wild Tangent.

I guess we're going to be forced to go to the Apple products which I really know nothing about, but I'm done with Microsoft.

I don't know what to do at this point.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I'd dearly love to do that, but, on our computer, my wife's favorite games I guess are all windows based. She likes the adventure card games from Wild Tangent.

I guess we're going to be forced to go to the Apple products which I really know nothing about, but I'm done with Microsoft.

I don't know what to do at this point.

You could try a dual boot configuration of Windows for your wife or Mac OS or Linux for yourself to try,doing it that way will save you some money instead of buying a Mac and finding out you don't like it. You could probably even do a triple boot and try Linux and Mac OS back to back.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I'm a real chepo; I use Acer Netbooks as does my wife.

I've got an old one that no one is using. Since I'm computer illiterate, I've considered attempting that dual boot thing on it; if I wreck it, it won't matter.

Thanks.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

As a side not that Avatar made me chuckle out loud, good-bad taste.

As Butterfinger point's out WinE is a Window's Emulation package which should enable you to use many window's programs including games.
There are several versions and I think several site's so shop around but this is one.
www.winehq.org...

Compatibility with newer program's is more problematic due to the restriction's microsoft can place on emulating it's operating system and it's DirectX software but there is a database of compatible program's somewhere so that you can check it out and it is probably more compatible with older windows software than your 64 bit windows 7 ever was.

Now I am one of the fool's, I upgraded to windows 10 and am actually sorry I did so as I had 7ultimate just as I liked it but more the fool me, Windows 10 browser Edge is awful and 10 has spyware coming out of it's nostril's so to speak, Cortana is supposed to learn but it does so by watching all you type and all you browse and sending that back to microsoft, you can turn it off but it is far from the only such malware built into the new operating system.

Free or not owning 10 will cost it's users more than the purchase of seven ever did.

Probably join you over on linux if they ever get that wine up to the level were it can play the latest releases.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If anyone is thinking of swapping OS's or even taking MS up on their freebie upgrade option they should buy an external drive and using some imaging program such as macrium reflect (free version) and image the drive as at a certain point so if you aint happy you can return to what you know.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I have Arch Linux, love it. I use a Mac for work. I dumped Windows also.

I bought a cheap Dell for Windows 10. Yikes 10 is not fun for me.

Nice thread!!!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampedeSorry if I offended you that wasn't my intention. I got into games and the next thing I knew hours were gone and lost. so I gave em all up.

Actually I was able to quit both cigs, alcoholic beverages and drugs cold turkey with no withdrawl. But I had help.

edit on 2-5-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
First , enjoy . I have been using Linux OS since it fit on a 3 1/2 " diskette . Took about 5 hours to compile.You started the installation and went to bed .Wasnt PCI PNP compatible , so no modems nor sound cards unless you jumped through an endless amount of hoops.

Those were the days I multi-booted Windows , Linux , and OS/2 Warp 3

However , Windblows 10 is neither a forced update nor is it a bad OS. Too much BS out there from haters. Bill's old group has finally gotten it right.Took em nearly 40 years though.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Ok star 9000 for you.

Love Linux.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

In my job when Linux is brought up , I have a bad habit of purposely mentioning the name Linus . No last name mentioned. No one , and I mean no one literally , recognizes that name.

BIG shame on them. If a person does not know that name , they need to go back to Microsoft.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
If anyone is thinking of swapping OS's or even taking MS up on their freebie upgrade option they should buy an external drive and using some imaging program such as macrium reflect (free version) and image the drive as at a certain point so if you aint happy you can return to what you know.

I just bought a cheap dell on E-bay with windows 10 o/s and the first thing i am going to do is change the hdd and put win 7 o/s back on it .

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Go to 1:40 lol

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I use Mac mainly, although I have Linux on a machine here at work that I sometimes use - my main pooter at work is an iMac.

A friend gave me an old ASUS laptop she did not want so i installed Ubuntu on that at home, but there I mostly use the MacBook .

I have been using the terminal more on the MB as a result of tinkering with Linux, and updating through the command line - lots of fun modifying my bash proflie.

i would not touch Windows again if I had the chance, but I have to deal with a lot of PCs for work, and maintain them.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
I have never seen that one nor heard about it :

for you posting it
for Linus' true statement
AMD ALL THE WAY
Left Intel behind when they started locking cores down
Left Nvidia behind when they "purchased" 3DFX and shut down their much better technology
Dont care for either still for the pure fact they have a tendency to "overlook" Linux and all it's flavors.
Intel , Nvidia , and Beth - the Unholy Trinity
edit on 5/2/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

LOL, your right on! I agree 100%.
No more overclocking!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join