It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marco Rubio: '...let’s not ignore the will of the people or they’re going to be angry.'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It doesn't seem you understand how the electoral college works. It doesn't matter how well Trump did in a PRIMARY in his OWN PARTY. The simple fact is that more Democrats will show up at the voting booths to vote Democrat.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Rubio has already stated , in a roundabout way , he is holding back his pledged delegates for Trump. That could be a major win for Donald.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The current GOP will never have another president. Simple as that. Republicans as a whole are literally dying out with age.
edit on 30-4-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It used to be a "conspiracy theory" by "conspiracy theorists" ... but now its a fact. The whole system is totally rigged, run by inner core bending backwards for external interests, and have NOTHING to do with will of the people or principles of that dear freedom and democracy.

Are they going to change that? Are they going to get rid of that sinister system after Trump is nominated, so that we don't need to doubt GOP for rigged elections ever again? Are they?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Text
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm very aware of how the electoral college works and the fact that these primaries have zero to do with the actual election.

One only has to look at the various events, assuming Hillary vs Trump, to the motivation levels of the constituents. The attendance at Hillary's events vs. Trumps. No comparison whatsoever.

More democrats will show up to elect Hillary? Keep believing that, sir. I love it when an adversary completely misreadswhat he is facing....

edit on 30-4-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The difference is that Trump people are loud. Each Trump person screams and yells as loud as 2-3 Democrats. For every Trump supporter, there's probably 2 Democrats quietly shaking their heads, steering clear from online comments and not answering telephone pollsters.

That's the thing. When Democrats come out in force, they win elections.

The Democrats start off the race with 243 electoral votes out of the needed 270. The Republicans will have to convert several solid blue states (Democrat strongholds) and win EVERY SINGLE SWING AND CONTESTED STATE.

It's just not possible. The electoral college is locked this cycle for the Democrats.

Don't allow the fact that Trump/Cruz supporters are more eager to be heard and noticed to color your perception of how the people in America as a whole vote.

And when I hear such optimistic "the GOP will totally crush the Democrats!" talk...I know those people have been living inside little GOP/Republican echo chambers and hug boxes. Of course it seems that way to them, everywhere they turn they see more people who think like they do. All around them are people supporting the same person they are.

I heard the EXACT same talk about Romney the last time. "Romney's got it! The people in America are finally fed up! A Republican is going to crush the Democrats after 4 years of horrible old Obama!"

Yeah, didn't happen like that.
edit on 2-5-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Nobody wins without Ohio.

I'm anticipating Hillary will choose Sen. Sherrod Brown. He says he's not interested, but that's typical political gamesmanship.

Trump will have to bend over backwards for Kasich, or it's game over.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

The difference is that Trump people are loud. Each Trump person screams and yells as loud as 2-3 Democrats. For every Trump supporter, there's probably 2 Democrats quietly shaking their heads, steering clear from online comments and not answering telephone pollsters.

For every Trump supporter, there are also 2-3 Republicans who will realize on election day "Aw hell no, Hillary can't win this" and will quietly cast their vote for Trump. Some Democrats may hate Trump, but pretty much all Republicans and a large number of Democrats believe Hillary is the devil.

But go right ahead... make the same incorrect assumptions as were made leading up to Reagan's epic drubbing of Walter Mondale 30 years ago.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Rubio is starting to come around to Trump's hints at wanting him for V.P.

I heard talking heads on one of the cable news shows I keep on for background noise say that last week. Rubio could be on the short list as Trump's VP. If you notice Trump has been addressing Rubio as 'Marco' and not 'Little Marco' for the past few weeks. Trump/Rubio could be a strong ticket, both with Trump supporters and appeasing the conservative/establishment crowd.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Go play around:

www.270towin.com...

You have to actually "work" to make the GOP lead in electoral votes.

As I said, the GOP is going to have to turn states who have always been blue red (impossible) and win nearly every single swing state (nearly impossible).

People might not like Hillary and that'll make more Republicans come out to vote, but even MORE people dislike Trump and will vote for anyone the Democrats run just to keep him from being POTUS.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If the GOP manages to dump Trump from the ticket, they will face the wrath of a very angry electorate and Hillary will win no contest. Rubio is saying exactly that, and that is perfectly proper. As Newt said, "Get over it."

Not just that, but if they buck the will of the voters, they will see many GOP voters skip the party in the congressional races too. I have no problem voting DEM down the ballot if the GOP ignores the will of the voters.

People might not like Hillary and that'll make more Republicans come out to vote, but even MORE people dislike Trump and will vote for anyone the Democrats run just to keep him from being POTUS.

I actually think this is reversed thinking. The people who dislike Trump are mostly the Bernie supporters, and if you think they are going to wake up, get dressed, and get an Uber (because they don't drive) from their parents' house to the polls, to vote for someone they aren't crazy about, I have to call BS.

Meanwhile, more and more people who didn't answer any polls, are going to leave work (because they work) on their lunch breaks, and vote Trump, while not telling a soul about it.
edit on 2-5-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What would be super interesting is if this happened:

Contested GOP convention. Gridlock. It becomes apparent Trump won't be able to "buy" or convince the GOP national committee to give him the nomination.

Trump's supporters form, and encourage him to run under a new independent party flag. He agrees and splits from the GOP.

Contested Democrat convention. Gridlock. Sander's supporters start raising hell at the super delegate process. Seeing that Trump now has gone 3rd party, they push for, encourage, and get Sanders to ALSO run as an independent or newly created party.

We'd then have a 4-way election with probably Cruz, Trump, Clinton and Sanders all running for POTUS in the general election.

That would be INSANE and very, very interesting to watch.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Not entirely accurate, though. While the Dems may be predicted to start the race with 217 electoral votes already in the bag, the same prediction has the GOP starting with 191 in the bag. It isn't like the GOP has to play catch-up from a couple hundred vote deficit... they just need to take more battleground states. I'd argue right now that NH, PA, Florida, Ohio, VA, and NC, are "Trump winnable" states right now, today. Hell, I'd argue that the entire Northeast, including NY is more in play for the GOP with Trump than it has been in decades.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I actually feel the opposite of that is true.

The ones with the loud mouths and the ones starting riots are the Bernie supporters and other anti-Trump activists. They have been extremely loud when trying to disrupt rallies and also on-line with the Trump bashing.

The Trump supporters until recently would barely whisper they are supporters, for fear of reprisals from the more vocal people. That has been changing, but only recently as the primaries and rally attendance have shown how very many fellow Trump supporters there actually are. Even the elite and the media are slowly starting to vocalize support for Trump, but previously they were keeping a low profile.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

That's all on the protesters and loud mouthed jackasses, too. History has shown that one thing can consistently be said about Americans: Butt yourself into our business and our choices, tell us we shouldn't do something we're considering, or threaten us, and watch us ride out to the middle of the battlefield and throw a spear at your feet with a double middle finger flourish at the end.

That's the American spirit in action, and it's a beautiful, pure thing.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Rubio might make a good VP for Trump, but I'm not so sure I totally trust him. His comments were carefully selected. He said he will support whoever is the nominee, and if that is Trump he will support Trump, which is a start. But he has not come right out and said that he WANTS Trump to be the nominee.

I will believe he truly supports Trump when he says a bit more on the subject. I don't really know of too many negatives about him, other than that he seems to be another insider.

I am a bit concerned that if they put someone in as VP that has the overly strong support of the GOP, then Trump might shortly have some kind of "accident" or other framing in some way to move their guy up to POTUS.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Well, that's certainly not been my personal experience -- and that's really all I have to go on. To each their own, you certainly seem to have the opposite experience I do!

edit on 2-5-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Well, that's certainly not been my personal experience -- and that's really all I have to go on. To each their own, you certainly seem to have the opposite experience I do!

It's because we haven't had any Trump protests here in AK... The imbeciles, so far, have stayed in the Lesser 48 and been content with destroying their communities and making threats down there.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't think there will be a contested GOP convention.

Way I see it, Trump takes Indiana (barely), West Virginia, and New Jersey (easily), and then just needs a smattering of others to get to the magic number. Basically, if Cruz loses tomorrow (which is highly likely), he's basically blown out of the water.'

I also think we're going to see Trump get some big numbers in CA, even though by then, I don't think it will even be necessary. I do think Cruz will get some of the remaining ones though, but their last polls were like in Feb, so would be interesting to see now.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Well, yesterday I read an article indicating that they're seeing a shift of unbound delegates (who Cruz has worked to his advantage in states like CO and WY) moving in great numbers from Cruz to Trump, out of concern for the future of the party.

I honestly believe that there is a discrete number of GOP organizers who have pushed the idea of a contested convention, while the rank & file and average GOP supporters are rapidly waking up and realizing that the only foil to that truly disasterous scenario is to to get Trump to 1237, at which point the GOP's "policy makers" will be effectively forced to capitulate and not only nominate Trump, but support him as well.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join