It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Privilege Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I'm going to put this here, but mods, feel free to move it if you think it goes elsewhere.

Some of you might remember this video series from Modern Educayshun.

This is a new one about social privilege and social backlash. This time, they're playing a "game."

Interesting to note the bickering on both sides and how one side works to advance while the other works to bring them down. We can argue in the end about which condition is best, but what about the methods employed?

Not only that but note where the two most vocal bickerers sit - extreme left and right, but in the end ... it's the moderate right guy who brings down the whole thing with the Trump card.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's very interesting and something to think about.

Obviously the message is that the "Trump Card" erases any progress made by the disadvantaged, implying that a Trump administration would result in loss of progress made on behalf of the disadvantaged.

Its a great piece of propaganda because it subtly but effectively establishes the premise of white privilege in the mind of the viewer.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The message I took away was something else. The push become too much and caused a backlash. It did erase everything, but it was the fault of the advocates who pushed too far. The one creating the backlash was NOT the one who was most vocal about anything and actually one who was doing the right thing.

Far right guy griped and was pushed back by far left chick but didn't play against her.

Moderate guy said nothing and no one played against him. He only advanced.

Moderate left chick/guy - played the transgener card - said little, refused to pull anyone back and advanced.

Far left check yelled at everyone, advanced at their expense and openly worked to pull them back.

The backlash occurred when Moderate guy adanced to the win and moved himself back voluntarily to make far left chick happy and she wasn't happy enough and moved him catastrophically back on top of his voluntary sacrifice.

So he played the Trump card in backlash and erased everything because she pushed too far on top of his already willing concession.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

There is no such thing as privilege in the sense most speak of, just ancient bloodlines that have gathered more riches by any means necessary including eating the babies and walking on the backs of the rest of us, as well as tapping into the darkside. Although they do like to make the peasants believe there is such a thing as to divide and conquer us

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Well, I agree with that, but for some, the idea is to try to get equal outcome which is another layer to this thing.

For the far left player, when everyone had been whittled down to the same level through whatever means necessary, the game had been "won." But human nature says that people resent and fight against that. In essence, her "win" is the reason the Trump card was played. It was not the "win" our instincts want and you have to undercut people, often cruelly, if you are going to enforce this type of leveling, especially once she decided no one was going to get everyone to the top level.
edit on 29-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I had a number of issues with the video, but I think the overall arch is interesting to consider
moderation and social conscience will benefit self and society together. There are of course starting advantages (there are..being born in a rich family is a hell of a lot better than being born in a poor family), and we all play the cards we get to move forward.
The problem comes, it seems, when the focus becomes tearing others down instead of building yourself up.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Im a white cis male therefore I'm unable to have an opinion about this or anything else

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My favorite part is the white chick going "you know nothing about our struggles" and the black lady looks at her like she's daft.

Remind me of a lot of white chicks, TBH.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Im a white cis male therefore I'm unable to have an opinion about this or anything else

That's easy to fix. Just adopt feminism or something and then you can get down with someone else's struggle and have their opinions.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What it looked like to me is that as the Far left and Far right went at the it, the Moderate just minded his own business with his head down while playing his cards.

The PBMM seemed to be dragged into everything meanwhile as the Far Left and Far Right argued about her/him. Once the Moderate had won "the game" during the all bickering, the Far Left seemed to turn on him now instead. Out of pressure or some kind of guilt he voluntary played the social conscience card, knocking himself down two levels, and raising up the PBMM as well.

Even after making that sacrifice it still didn't seem to matter, he was now the target of the Far Left for succeeding and was nailed when he accidently mis-spoke about the gender of the PBMM and was slammed down 7 levels.

I LOL'ed that when frustrated, and even after voluntary playing the social conscience card The Moderate got fed up and played the "Trump" card, I didn't see that coming. The girl that plays the Far Left was pretty funny, good acting !

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

The sad thing is I actually know what Cis is now

ETA: The Trump card......that was priceless!!

edit on 4 29 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I love to study the new SJW buzz words that way i know how to argue about how dumb it is putting labels on people and how it actually makes the problem worse and divides us even further.

edit on 29-4-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I don't have struggles, I'm a privileged white male. I just have to agree everyone else struggles more and check my privilege. Oh and join tumbler

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The girl on the far left acts perfectly in all of these videos

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Posted in wrong section and had editing issues, but I figured I'd post here because what the hey. I haven't seen all of their stuff but I seem to remember a few months back a pretty accurate one about a dude going to school or whatever you call it, there was a box in the middle of the room making noise, the teacher, some high strung lady told him not to worry...needless to say he was doomed from the start, I think you can see where it winds up, pretty funny stuff (just not irl...)
edit on 29-4-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

A majority of people on welfare in America are actually white. My family was on it when I was growing up while living in a trailer in the middle of tornado ally. My mom was divorced with no child support (she opted not to because of reasons) and supported both of us for 3 years before my step dad moved in. She never had more kids because it was hard enough to even get government assistance with a barely above minimum wage job and paying for a home, utilities and groceries. Recently I was homeless (i wrote about it in here a while ago). I worked a full time job and apparently made too much money to need assistance, according to my Obama care application and food stamp application. I was desperate and the things I was told were designed for people in my situation failed me. I also had to quit a job 3 years ago because I was not making enough money due to living in the inner city because people did not want to do business with me and would rather "wait for the black guy". My whole family is comprised of fresh off the boat immigrants...

There are good people that deserve help and can't get it.

There are terrible people who abuse the system and get away with it.

There is corruption in every government system.

Being born into a rich family doesn't just happen to white people and being born into poverty and poor school systems doesn't just happen to people of color.

This is a problem with "special snlwflake syndrome" in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Ah, another quite interesting video. I see from just a couple of comments that people don't even agree as to the message behind it. Not surprised!

Come on, folks; it's really pretty plain. What's the last thing the GM says?

"It's just a game."

In other words, people are being played, like pawns in a game. These pawns are so caught up in their own progress, and their own wants, that they can't even see how they are manipulated. No one really wins that sort of game.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Another good point!

That's why I posted it. I watched it and thought it had a lot of different angles that were potentially worthy of discussion.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
quote]originally posted by: JDmOKI

I don't have struggles, I'm a privileged white male. I just have to agree everyone else struggles more and check my privilege. Oh and join tumbler

I love the expression check your privilege!!! I'm thinking of using it in one of these reclaiming movements, like some guy gets a new car and it's like "alriiiight, check YOUR priveledge!" Someone walks by in a nice suit you give him a high 5 and it's like "checkkkkk your PRIVILEGE...!!"

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Another good point!

That's why I posted it. I watched it and thought it had a lot of different angles that were potentially worthy of discussion.

Definitely! Many, many layers to such things, and too many people get so caught up in the surface tension, they can be overlooked.

LOVE your avatar, btw! I could vote that way!!! Always been a Kirk fan, since I was very, very small.

new topics

top topics

join