It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China successfully tests 7,000 mph DF-2F hypersonic missile says Pentagon source

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Okay, let's see if the ytube linky thing is workin' (been awhile).

Anyway, of course I realize the potential for propaganda on youtube, but these numbers seem to be corroborated by multiple videos, so I just found one with a sizable number of examples, and show examples from many countries, including the nuclear big 3.

Point being: Most of the numbers in this thread are not even comparable to the numbers even in the top ten youtube video search results (w/the search terms 'speed of missles').

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
OK ICBMs and SLBMs speed.

Boost phase - typical burnout speed is 4 km/s (2.5 mi/s), up to 7.8 km/s (4.8 mi/s)

That is 14,400km/h to 28,00km/h.

Reentry phase - impact is at a speed of up to 7 km/s (4.3 mi/s)

That is 25,200km/h or 15,480mph.

The high speeds of the warheads make them difficult to intercept and allow for little warning, striking targets many thousands of kilometers away from the launch site (and due to the possible locations of the submarines: anywhere in the world) within approximately 30 minutes.

Can hit anywhere in the world in about 30 minutes or less.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hypersonic anti-ship missiles with conventional warheads will turn any surface combatants into scrap fairly rapidly if enough of them are used, including aircraft carriers.
edit on 29-4-2016 by JimTSpock because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
OK ICBMs and SLBMs speed.

Hypersonic anti-ship missiles with conventional warheads will turn any surface combatants into scrap fairly rapidly if enough of them are used, including aircraft carriers.

Really? How do you target them? I wonder what the turn radius would be at 7,000 MPH?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yes accurate targeting would certainly be difficult especially for a moving ship. That would be classified but I'd say you'd need an accurate radar track...
You could just use a predicted target position, or several, shoot a few missiles and some of them would hit. They seem to be making these things so they obviously work somehow exactly how is speculation.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

If they have something near the target that is guiding these missiles it can be jammed or destroyed. If these missiles are self-guiding, they can be jammed or spoofed.

I wouldn't count surface ships out just yet.

edit on 29-4-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Correct. That is why air defense of naval assets is so important. However tracking ships with air assets can be done from quite a long range because they are big and slow. A sub could do it with radar but possibly give away it's position, but then if the target is destroyed that may be a risk worth taking. A satellite could do it... or a stealthy drone.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
When its perfected, and it will be, kiss yer patute goodbye America....

We don't have to shoot it down. All we need to do is take over the guidance signal and send it right back to the launch point.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

edit on 4/29/2016 by carewemust because: forum posted a duplicate for some unknown reason. Duh?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not to get OT Zaph, but is that a homage to 95th Fighter Wing in your signature?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The newer shipboard SAMs can range out to 60 miles. Pretty much anything in that area is toast. Kind of hard to track a ship further out than that with that curvature of the Earth thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Was just looking at this.

Russia's Monster Battlecruisers Are Getting Hypersonic Anti-Ship Missiles

There is very little information available about the performance of the Zircon missile. However, the weapon has a range of at least 250 miles and will likely be capable of speeds greater than Mach 5.0. Given its sheer speed, the Zircon will be extremely difficult to intercept with current missile defense technology.

nationalinterest.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Somewhere a US sub commander is reading this and laughing his ass off.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I always liked subs better, for some reason lol. Don't they call surface guys skimmers?

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

No. Targets.

I spent 5 days on a 688 boat in 1985. Those guys earn their money.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Never mind. I'm way too late.
edit on 5/8/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join