It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about TOFU.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I found this recipe for "Spicy Braised Tofu" I want to make.

I live in an area where ethnically speaking, food wise, finding certain ingredients can be challenging and due to that I order many items for my cooking adventures from Amazon.

Usually around here I can find some sort of Refrigerated Tofu however it usually isn't Non GMO or it just isn't available near by. So I found this Silken, Firm Tofu on Amazon which was at a great price! 12, 12 oz blocks for $20 and it was Non GMO. The great thing is it is non refrigerated and has a fairly long shelf life for being TOFU.

From reading up on it, I understand the texture of this is more gelatinous than meaty compared to the refrigerated TOFU? Now for the methods I have read about to make it more meat like in texture.

Method 1: Slice it and lay it out on a tray and freeze it. Thaw it, dry it off, then fry it.

Method 2: Slice it put it on a tray, put another tray on top of it and then press the water out of it, dry and then fry it.

Does anyone else no which of these methods work best or have another method that would work better?

I am a total TOFU noob, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Method 2: Slice it put it on a tray, put another tray on top of it and then press the water out of it, dry and then fry it.

This is the method that makes it more chewy than mushy but you want to season it before you fry it or fry it with no oil for just a few minutes each side, let it cool then season, cook as you would chicken. If you're using a marinade you fry it (no oil again) longer til it's a little tough on the outside, cool it then marinate.

I'm sure youtube has some cooking tofu vids.

Oh and tofu is super absorbent and tastes like whatever you put on it, so you probably want to use just a little less than you would for chicken.

Don't eat too much soy though, there's plenty of other non-meat sources of protein.
edit on 4/28/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Tofu is a good flavor sponge type food IME. You should be able to marinate it and have it adopt flavor fairly well which works great as it has little flavor of its own.

My favorite way to do tofu is marinated and fried with a dipping sauce or added to a stir fry for some backup bulk.

I don't usually worry too much about trying to make it seem like what it's not (ie meat like). It's tofu and that knowledge doesn't bother me.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

This is the method that makes it more chewy than mushy but you want to season it before you fry it or fry it with no oil for just a few minutes each side, let it cool then season, cook as you would chicken. If you're using a marinade you fry it (no oil again) longer til it's a little tough on the outside, cool it then marinate.

I'm sure youtube has some cooking tofu vids.

Oh and tofu is super absorbent and tastes like whatever you put on it, so you probably want to use just a little less than you would for chicken.

Don't eat too much soy though, there's plenty of other non-meat sources of protein.

Cool!

Thank you Kali!

I was going to try both methods and figure it out, but I do not like wasting food, so know the diversity of folk on ATS I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Tofu is a good flavor sponge type food IME. You should be able to marinate it and have it adopt flavor fairly well which works great as it has little flavor of its own.

My favorite way to do tofu is marinated and fried with a dipping sauce or added to a stir fry for some backup bulk.

I don't usually worry too much about trying to make it seem like what it's not (ie meat like). It's tofu and that knowledge doesn't bother me.

I wasn't too worried about the "meat like" texture, but considering the non refrigerated versus refrigerated from my reading up on the two there is definite texture differences between the two types.

I might have worded my intention wrong, but I was basically looking to tweak one to have more of a texture like the other?

Anyhow, appreciate the input!

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I am a TOFU freak, but have only had the watery jelly type. I am sure if I did seek it I could find the meatier sort, but every time I enter the Asian Grocer it's like being a child in a toy store. I just get lost looking at all the weird exotic food and snacks. I mean I walked in the other day looking for their turmeric, and walked out with glutton sticks and roasted spicy seaweed. Damn it, I needed turmeric. :/ lol

That recipe looks amazing. it's good to see tofu eaters and not tofu haters. Makes me not feel so alone. I never get any joy when talking about sushi either. Haha I made someone try it the other week, she only are the rice and seaweed, left the fish. That's a sin. It's that part that makes it delish.

I'll get her to do it eventually.
and then we'll try the roasted seaweed.. I don't think she'll go for that. Oh and the pickled seaweed. covered in sesame seeds and just so awesome.

Stupid foods.. why am I so addicted..

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poggie
I am a TOFU freak, but have only had the watery jelly type. I am sure if I did seek it I could find the meatier sort, but every time I enter the Asian Grocer it's like being a child in a toy store. I just get lost looking at all the weird exotic food and snacks. I mean I walked in the other day looking for their turmeric, and walked out with glutton sticks and roasted spicy seaweed. Damn it, I needed turmeric. :/ lol

That recipe looks amazing. it's good to see tofu eaters and not tofu haters. Makes me not feel so alone. I never get any joy when talking about sushi either. Haha I made someone try it the other week, she only are the rice and seaweed, left the fish. That's a sin. It's that part that makes it delish.

I'll get her to do it eventually.
and then we'll try the roasted seaweed.. I don't think she'll go for that. Oh and the pickled seaweed. covered in sesame seeds and just so awesome.

Stupid foods.. why am I so addicted..

Lucky you!

I would have to go to Pittsburgh to find an Asian grocer.

I get most of the ingredients I can from Amazon.....

I am on a Asian cooking trip for the moment. The lady in the video has an awesome youtube channel that she teaches how to cook many Korean dishes!

She has a spicy cucumber recipe that is killer!

Also, I have made the Hoddeok or Sweet Korean Pancakes and they are delicious as well!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

If you have the time, it might be better for you to order soy beans and coagulate, and make your own tofu!

Homemade Soy Milk is an alternative to cow's milk and we love it because it's cheap and easy to make. Soak the soybeans in water overnight for a minimum of 12 hours. Drain the soybeans and remove the outer skins. Blend the soybeans with 3 cups of water (750 milliliters) until well blended and almost smooth.

Ingredients for Making Homemade Tofu:

2 quarts soy milk
Coagulant (Choose one of the following):
2 tsp. Terra Alba aka Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate) or 1 tsp. Nigari Flakes (Magnesium Chloride) or 1/2 tsp. Liquid Nigari (Magnesium Chloride)

Instructions for Making Making Tofu:

Boil the soy milk for 5 minutes and then let it cool to 160-175°F (70-80°C) degrees.

If you are making soy milk using a soy milk maker, there is no need to boil the milk again. Dissolve the coagulant of your choice in a cup of warm water--do not let it set too long! Mix the water and coagulant mixture into the hot soy milk. Gently stir the milk but do not over mix.

Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed for 15-25 minutes. While the mixture sits, small white curds will separate from amber colored liquid. Once the process is complete, transfer the curds into a molding container lined with cheesecloth or a similar fabric. Fold the fabric over the curds and place a small weight on top to begin pressing out the liquid. Allow the mixture to be pressed by the weight for 20-30 minutes or until it holds together.

Remove the block of tofu from the mold. If you don't plan to consume the tofu the same day that you make it, store it in a container filled with cold water in the refrigerator. Change this soaking water daily until you consume your tofu.

Makes a little less than a pound of tofu.
www.culturesforhealth.com...

edit on 28-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

For a savoury snack,try slicing tofu VERY thin,i.e. with a cheese slicing thingummy and fry it in the oil of your choosing(I like sesame oil).

You may even surprise meat-eaters with this.😃

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yuck.....Tofu sucks, nothing can make it taste good.

I am too honest to say it looks good.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I was actually checking on Soy bean seeds to make home made soy milk, but damn! Pretty pricey?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I have tried Tofu about 8 different times in my life and I only liked it once! Just like anything else I am willing to bet not all TOFU is EQUAL in taste nor quality?

The time I liked it, it was simply sliced and sprinkled with soy sauce and sliced scallion.

I can see how people might have tried it and found it disgusting.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Eeek, and then you go and spoil the thread, by saying something stupid like tofu sucks.

Best ye get back to your hormone laden turkeys you philistine !!!!

O.o

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Poggie

Pffft! Food is food. To each their own.

I happen to enjoy the occasional tofu like I also enjoy my turkey. I am a bonified foodie, but there still is no power on earth that can make me enjoy traditional potato salad. It smells fabulous; always has, but I cannot learn to like the taste. I try it regularly too.

There are just some things we like and some things we don't. I won't knock someone for disliking tofu anymore than I will knock someone for disliking turkey ... always assuming they have tried it of course. And then, you have to make sure you have tried something prepared in different ways. After all, tomatoes may taste rotten in one preparation but another makes all the difference.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Poggie

Pffft! Food is food. To each their own.

I happen to enjoy the occasional tofu like I also enjoy my turkey. I am a bonified foodie, but there still is no power on earth that can make me enjoy traditional potato salad. It smells fabulous; always has, but I cannot learn to like the taste. I try it regularly too.

There are just some things we like and some things we don't. I won't knock someone for disliking tofu anymore than I will knock someone for disliking turkey ... always assuming they have tried it of course. And then, you have to make sure you have tried something prepared in different ways. After all, tomatoes may taste rotten in one preparation but another makes all the difference.

Yea, I have seen families actually get into heated arguments on where to order pizza! lol

I am trying to force myself to like sardines, but so far other than a Malaysian recipe for sardine stuffed buns which is on my "To Try" list I am still trying to figure out how to like the damn things....

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The silken tofu, soft texture, actually makes a fabulous base (blended, of course) for creamy soups, salad dressings, and shakes, too, if you are looking to get away from dairy.
Though soy is high in plant estrogens so it's a good idea to eat it in moderation. Large amounts of soy can mess with your hormones.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OuttaHere
The silken tofu, soft texture, actually makes a fabulous base (blended, of course) for creamy soups, salad dressings, and shakes, too, if you are looking to get away from dairy.
Though soy is high in plant estrogens so it's a good idea to eat it in moderation. Large amounts of soy can mess with your hormones.

Good advice!

I am basically just using it for an occasional side dish, to change up the same ole same ole.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I have tried Tofu about 8 different times in my life and I only liked it once! Just like anything else I am willing to bet not all TOFU is EQUAL in taste nor quality?

The time I liked it, it was simply sliced and sprinkled with soy sauce and sliced scallion.

I can see how people might have tried it and found it disgusting.

Liked it one time out of eight, then bought twelve twelve ounce packages. Do you know what that sounds like?

new topics

top topics

join