It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcycle Unitarianism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'll always ride sport bikes as long as I can. I like to do the occasional track day when I can. I'm trying to save up and buy a dedicated bike strictly for track/race. Looking at a 600cc for track days, I did a few on my previous 1000cc CBR, I loved it, but that bike was a beast. I haven't decided yet tho. I currently have a 2004 R1 that needs some work. But I've owned about 4 bikes so far. I'd also like to get a supermoto for tooling around town on too.

I want to collect motorcycles eventually, but I have other priorities sadly.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

We used to build sidecars, Urals are damn cool. A real go anywhere rig. Completely unique bike!!

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: Binder

As a mechanic you will know the extents you can tune a Harley engine... This in itself should be enough to shut down anyone lying about how fast their vehicle is.

Absolutely correct. We build, repair, tune, and modify Harleys routinely. I am more than aware of what the design is capable of. I will add here though that the V-rod is an exception to the rule. That is a well designed engine.

I had a guy tell me his Road King pulling a trailer "dusted" a Ducati Monster on a hill in a curve. I asked him if he walked to school in 3 feet of snow in July, uphill both ways as a kid.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I can agree about some super bikes being a bit over powered, and I think their should be a mandate to pass an advanced riding course before jumping on a high performance bike.

However I have to say I firmly believe my euro bike are far safer in the hands of an experienced rider than the Harleys with the same rider. I have had to shut my K1200LT down from 75 mph 2up when a concrete truck overturn right in front of us. The BMW has a no dive front end design so my wife didn't get thrown over my shoulder, and I got it completely stopped in a mind numbing short distance. I actually got a head rush, and felt dizzy it stopped so fast, and I was only 10 ft from the belly of that truck. If we had been on the harley we would have been hurt, no question. I have panic stopped on both bikes and the harley just does not have half the braking system, or suspension stability.
edit on 29-4-2016 by Binder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

So many don't even know about them.. They are looking for the fastest thing on the streets.

I love mine dearly. It's not broken down, but I think it's dying. The advice I've been given is "drive it till it breaks".

But they are strong bikes.

I can't post pics anymore for some stupid reason, but my bike is about halfway down the page of this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They can just nearly carry their weight.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Very cool. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed. They aren't really hard to fund parts for. BMW, Zundap, Ural, and some Chinese company I won't attempt to spell all build the same machine from post WWII rights. BMW originated the design, but the German government owned the design during wartime, and sold it to allies for wartime construction. So they just kept building them. A guy here in town has a mid 50s Zundap. You can't kill em.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Yea, I admire the zundamp above the others. They pioneered the two wheel drive mechanism if I'm not mistaken. It's the best part of the machine.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join