It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcycle Unitarianism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
My dad and I own a motorcycle repair shop. We work on American and European bikes from late model to antique. We work on euro bikes because we love them, and we work on American bikes because well... that's where the money is.

So I hear a lot of discussion, bickering, and BSing about who's bike is "best" mostly BSing. While their is the occasional beemer, or Ducati rider with a snob complex, the majority of the bovine excrement comes from Harley riders on the topic of performance. Now, before the mandatory hog rider machismo starts flying let me disclose that I own a couple of Harleys, and an Indian. I love them and would not part with them. I also own several euro bikes too, a K1200LT beemer, a K1200S beemer, and a Moto Guzzi Norge 1200GT.

While I love the sound, look, and soul of my hogs, I would not disgrace them with a performance show down against my euro bikes, the K1200LT will trounce any stock, or moderately modified Harley, and it's the slowest euro bike I own. It takes a highly modified big twin to stay with it. I could jump on the K1200S, and their isn't a street legal Harley anywhere that can run with it. It hits 90 mph in 2nd gear, and handles like a wet dream. It does 0-100 in less time than it takes 95% of bikes to get to 60. On the flip side if I parked it next to my Harleys at a show and shine no one would give it a second glance, and my wife won't ride it because it's rough and windy.

I own different bikes for different reasons. The best one is the one I'm in the mood to ride today. My 1980 Electra Glide feels faster at 80 than the K1200S does at 130. Going fast on a slow bike is more fun than going slow on a fast bike. Mountain curves are wasted on a peg dragger, and long distanced on open highways are excruciating on a sport bike. I love my Harleys for their soul, and I love my euro bikes for their performance. I don't delude myself that the Harleys should strive to become what they are not, or that the euro bikes will ever turn heads like a Harley. So Harley guys... quit embarrassing yourselves by trying to race a bike that was born, and bred for speed. Asian, and European bike riders, don't underestimate the power of cool.

I'm sick of hearing BS fishing stories about ultra fast Harleys. Those bikes are unicorns, and never show up on the street to actually run me. They always belong to a buddy, or a friend of a cousins ex-girlfriend's half brother, or they're indefinitely in the shop. Somehow they're never actually being riden by anyone. The 1 in 10 Harleys that actually will accept the challenge are new riders who think "feels fast" means is fast. Then they get a first hand experience in what fast looks like from behind. The worst part is that I'm usually riding my K1200LT tourer with the wife 2up, and it's the slowest euro bike I own.

European, and Japanese bike riders need to learn that it's not always about who's faster. My slow, loud, vibrating Harleys are pure fun, and never fail to strike up conversation everywhere. The Harleys are simply gorgeous bikes. Rolling art. The exhaust note is one of the sexiest aphrodisiacs on the planet. Fiddling with them, and customizin them is their inherent charm. Big boy toys. Who ever gets tired of toys?

So next time you ride past that Harley wave, and appreciate the beauty of an American icon, and a rider who likes to cruise in style. When you get passed on your Harley by a BMW, Guzzi, or Ducati wave and admire the technological marvel, and efficiency of applied modern engineering. You're both having fun doing what you want on what you choose to ride.
edit on 28-4-2016 by Binder because: Typos

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Show ponys scraping the chrome off their exhausts as they try to take a corner, pretending they are outlaws on the road.
I notice most of them need those big engines and truck like gear boxes to carry their extra belly weight around

Might as well just go buy a Toyota Corolla, same power to weight ratio as well

I recon when you are riding a bike, no one cares what it is, just ride

Though it is fun to bag out Harley riders, just can't help it

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Binder

In the wind is in the wind. Don't mater what you ride to me. Basically ............different strokes for different folks.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I've had bikes and fast Chevies. One of my personal rules is to refuse the urge to flaunt the machines or my ownership of them. Excellent display of writing skills however.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Wish I had a bike shop closer. I've got a sickly Ural.

I could give two craps about speed, or even handling. I drove my bike for two years straight, during snow-storms, rain, sleet and icing events, and blistering heat. Everybody has different styles and tastes, but put a sidecar on your bike and you will meet the biker-snob in every class.

I didn't really care though, met just as many cool people as I did ass-hats. It all evens out in the end.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

This is the "Worship equals War Ship" phenomenon in spades.

This is from right here at ATS™ but the author is still unk. (so if You're the author please let Me know..)

Worship equals War Ship.
It is disguised as "worship" but it is truly War Ship. Yes, get that initial giggle out and continue reading My words, as 'worshipping' is the biggest reason for wars.
Those men who build languages for MASSES to think in, are very versed in metaphysical natures.
When You pray to something that You do not know is truly there, You join the 'War Ship'. You worship something You don't know of and cannot see. You divide Yourself from Yourself and everyone around You.
Well in this language We call this "Blind Faith" Now when You have many factions worshipping, just different names that are man made, now there is 'division', the opposite of being WHOLE.
Now You've entered the 'War Ship' You clash with those who pray to the SAME CONCEPT under different names (Gods have no identity, just bogus names Man made up) This is inferior mentality.
Even though they are all human, all came from the SAME SOURCE, all are 5-based beings (think pentagram geometry)
One becomes concrete in what they worship, they judge and demonize those not praying to the same NAME.
Now You have war/division.
ISIS is defending it's concepts because the ONLY power those who join the War Ship have is physical chaos to those who oppose. Internally their people are weak and are not worthy to ascend to their internal potentials.
STOP worshipping and start accepting ALL, no matter the name they worship and if Your 'TRUTH' needs to be pushed then how TRUE is it really?
Truth needs no book, no doctrine, no dogma, no heirarchy. Truth stands on it's own, the rest is just pushing to compete with Truth and that is falsehood.

So if I buy a Chevy™ from then until I buy something else then it is Chevy™ until they bury Me.. (rationalizing their purchase)

Edit: I rode both a HD RoadKing while in Motors and also a Yamaha 225 Enduro while in Street Crimes. Both had their place. I also had a FatBoy and when I moved here in 2004 I bought My wife a HD Deluxe.. Then after having to dodge texters in cages, I deemed it way too unsafe to enjoy due to safety concerns..

edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

As a mechanic you will know the extents you can tune a Harley engine... This in itself should be enough to shut down anyone lying about how fast their vehicle is.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Just get an R1, we all know that they are the fastest. If you get a Raven Edition it already comes with "PRM" unlocked.

Harleys are ok to look at, but I wouldn't own one. Most harley riders around here remind me of that episode of south park.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I really don't have much interest in motorcycles but I have one big and one little complaint.

Put a fricking muffler on your stupid harley!

And don't drive a car with a motorcycles are everywhere bumper sticker and then ride without a helmet.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have owned quite a few bikes in my Life. Harley's, Triumphs, Moto Guzzi, Bultaco, Hodaka, BMW, Honda etc. I presently own 13, mostly old 60'-70's Honda's. My regular street bike is a 1978 Honda 550K, and a 1967 Honda 305. For dirt a Honda 250 Fat Cat and a 1972 Hodaka 125 Wombat. I also have 4 1970 Honda Mini Trails and a Lil Indian Minibike.

I like anything on 2 wheels. At 60 I stopped riding on the highways for the most part, just like shoreline, backroad cruises, no need for speed for me.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Binder
I'm sick of hearing BS fishing stories about ultra fast Harleys.
:

I hear ya... I road Dual-sports for years (for those that don't know what that means it has the ability to do ON and Off road), I like to kick it in the dirt, but, also like to use a motorcycle to get there, so, dual-sport... I was always amazed that in the early days how Harley riders never 'gave the wave' to anyone else save Harley riders. Kinda snobby. After awhile I didn't care and just stopped waving at them.

Then I got a job at S&S Cycle (tech support)... S&S Cycle makes V-Twin engines that can fit in Harley/Victory/Indian frames... and that... can make a fast Harley. Put in an S&S Sidewinder in a Sporty frame and hold F*$% on... But it is a straight-line bike... But that is not really why I am posting.

The funny thing was, a lot of the engineers, tech bike pro's, and otherwise plain old motorcycle V-twin loving men or women at S&S had other favorites then just the Harley. We would talk and laugh at the snobby people that bought a Harley, and an attitude... how they ran around the weekends feeling big and bad.

Then get smoked by a Guzzi... or a BulTaco!

Keep two on the ground bro.
edit on 28-4-2016 by Newt22 because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

You plow too? LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I've been a member of various motorcycle clubs since I was in my early 20's, and this does seem to be a thing. I own a Harley (85 883 Sporty) and they're fun in their own way but they are NOT performance vehicles, and to make them performance vehicles you have to pretty much swap out everything but the frame, and even then all you've got is a "fast harley," still not a performance bike. The Rotax engines they've put in some of the REALLY expensive ones are pretty well made engines, but the evo engine hasn't really been improved much since the 1940s. Hell, I think they just started making fuel injected engines in 2007 or 2008.

I'm pretty sure it's just that most people go from driving a car to getting a Harley, and even an 883 has enough torque to beat most standard cars from 0-60. They just don't have the proper perspective. I went from a Harley to a 2003 Fireblade and was blown away that something I bought for $3000 could be THAT goddamn fast. It was really eye opening. But i'd still pull up to bike club nights and have Harley owners scoff at my ride and brag about how much more power their 1200cc bike probably had than my 1000cc bike.

Even saying all that, i'd really like to get my hands on a Buell 1125R... 170mph top speed AND torque for days? Yes please!
edit on 28-4-2016 by Slanter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I stick to American antique bikes from the 40s and 50s and just putt nice and slow. My KX 500 which was ported, polished,Wiseco hi compression piston, special exhaust, special reeds, got me air lifted out of Carnegie and slapped with a $70,000 hospital bill. Ive got to admit, I do love big two strokers though. If you could keep the front wheel on the ground, that 500 would tear up about any bike on the road

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I can go a few different ways as far as the bikes I like. Me I love my Dyna Wide Glide, my CP loves his Low Rider, my RC loves his Sporty, all Harleys or course. But my best bud (different club) rides a Yamaha, another good buddy rides a Kawasaki. It boils down to what do you want to ride? At the end of the day it's your bike, so... who gives a damn what anyone else thinks?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow.
I'm just happy riding on the back of my hubby's v-star. I thought the whole point was the ride, not how fast you got there, or how shiny the ride?

Personally? Even most Harley riders that we ride with, are actually nice guys. There are exceptions. My real father was a true Harley "biker".

Biggest prick I ever met.

edit on 28-4-2016 by chiefsmom because: NM

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

No but I have considered a broom attachment. We get more sand than snow.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I rode a Harley for many many years.

For me it was all about the relaxed cruise of the ride, the thunderous sound of the engine, and the substantial weight and girth of the bike between my legs.

If I wanted to commit suicide with speed and performance, I would have bought myself a bloody crotch rocket.

I marshalled far too many professional motorcycle road races over the years to NOT know what those damn things can do to the human body when you lose control over an inside curve at top speeds...

Not pretty.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I rode a Harley for many many years.

For me it was all about the relaxed cruise of the ride, the thunderous sound of the engine, and the substantial weight and girth of the bike between my legs.

If I wanted to commit suicide with speed and performance, I would have bought myself a bloody crotch rocket.

I marshalled far too many professional motorcycle road races over the years to NOT know what those damn things can do to the human body when you lose control over an inside curve at top speeds...

Not pretty.

"and the substantial weight and girth of the bike between my legs."

Excuse me???

soulwaxer

top topics

<<   2 >>

join