It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic signals embedded in ground because of smart phone use

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I agree with this and the scariest part of all is that somehow even when I do all these things online and then text a friend about it, I -feel- like I have had some social interaction.

I -feel- like I have kept in touch, but if I sit down and think about it, I haven't actually seen some of my friends face to face in years. Yet I am totally caught up on their lives.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Some of my friends on the Internet I've never met before are better/more invested in my well being/more supportive than anyone I actually know in "person" ( what is that anymore?).

Is it still quality interaction? I just don't know.

Anyway back on topic, I think this is a bad idea. We have to learn to put the phones down when navigating. My biggest peeve is people at traffic lights texting or on Facebook. By the time they realize the light is green or I beep at them, so much time has passed now it's taking me too long to get to my destination due to being stuck at the light again.

Can we just make a force field around cars that turns off smart phones lol.
edit on 27-4-2016 by Vdubya because: Typo

edit on 27-4-2016 by Vdubya because: Another thought

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
im glad i don't live in the city. i enjoy visiting....but ya'll can keep it. I like my sky's, and lack of any real need for pedestrian signals.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This doesnt sound like the best course of action becasue if people get used to having it what happens when they cross a street in a city that does not?

Wont that cause more problems rather than less?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The blind leading the blind.

The Department of Transportation has established a clear connection between such habits and an increase in pedestrian deaths.

The number of times I had to tap my horn or hit the brakes for somebody 'stepping off curb while texting'…

They should include motion sensors that blank your screen while walking. Like pedometers, not GPS.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Where are all these smartphone idiots people keep describing? I don't witness this. I see people of all ages some in their 70s adapting quite well to using them while handling daily affairs. I've not seen or heard of someone walking into a wall, or wrecking their vehicle because they're on a smartphone. I'm sure people aren't making this up, but you realize half the people in this world have a double digit IQ, and some of us have always been prone to tunnel vision, poor vision, or getting lost in a sea of thought, smartphone or not, right?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Is that a serious question? You look up. That's what happens. Really?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
half the people in this world have a double digit IQ

Always important to remember this.

And, its important to remember that the ones with a double digit IQ likely aren't even aware of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Now that Augsburg has set this precedence, people (or their families) will sue city governments if they are injured or killed due to walking into traffic while looking at their mobile phone, potentially calling a city or town without these light "negligent" because they didn't put these lights in.

I can see it now; someone will argue (through their lawyer):

"My husband would be alive today if [city name here] wouldn't have been so negligent as to not install these life-saving devices when they could have!"

edit on 4/27/2016 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Guten Morgen-

Because I don't have a phone and am really a computer neophyte I would like to offer this idea to an individual w/the gumption/energy to see it through. If it does go BIG, let Your conscience be Your guide in My renumeration for the idea. Here is the idea-

It is named the "Correct Crapper App" This is the One that will alert You when You take a misstep into the wrong Toi Toi.. It would be something like this "BEEP BEEP" and then a Siri-type voice comes over the phone and says "Jim, this is the Ladies room and Your mustache is showing..." Or "Becky, this room is for Bock-Os" (male shortarm). This way the user won't have to have their attention diverted prior to the 'Package Check Cops' who've come onto Social Media and typed things like "I'll sit out the restrooms and make sure nobody uses the wrong one..." Who'd want to interact with these folks?

May I suggest You traipse out onto the Olive branch and do this in North Carolina?
What do Y'all think? Do We have a winner w/the C.C. app?

namaste
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: spellin fo paw

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This is just.. Wow.. They should just get rid of some of the pedestrian laws. After a few get splattered in the road then the rest might wake up. Silliness.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Watch, it the future we will evolve with really short T-Rex arms wit two thumbs on each hand. We will have no neck anymore and our chins will be attached to our chest. We won't even ba able to look up anymore. We will have to stand on our heads to even see the stars. All because people can't put down these addictive little devices. You think Heroin or Crack does bad things to people, have you ever seen what device withdrawals can do to people? Insanity! But, I love having the world of information literally at my fingertips!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat
No, don't encourage people to have common damn sense. Nope. Just go along with their stupidity and even encourage it to bring the world closer to Idiocracy. Every time I see things like this, the following song comes to mind.

edit on 27-4-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy The constant video on your phone to see where you are walking is a ''solution'' that cracks me up, but made me think we are going to need more cell phone use laws as another solution!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdubya It can very well be quality interaction on the internet, we just have to be able to leave our devices behind or put away while interacting in the real world... it's not so hard.😊

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs That's a good point about people getting so used to not having to look up while navigating, that in an area where there aren't embedded traffic lights in the ground will be dangerous. I used to be fascinated by the future and now I grow weary of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium uhhh... okay I tend to stay out of the bathroom issue forums. In the future when we all have internet and phone connections grafted onto our wrists, the bathroom issue will be moot because we will all have permanently bent down necks and be unable to look up and around enough to notice who is in the loo with us or what loo we are in anyways.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark Great song! Never heard it before, but it is one we all should take warning from! Made me think of this movie scene,

Wall-e is on to more than we know!

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown Maybe our mind will just be transplanted into a robot and we will be nothing more than a robot/ machine! Or Someone will save the day and come out with awareness exercise techniques to stop our bodies from getting all disfigured with our chins on our chests... the future is crazy sometimes.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

My immediate reaction to reading this in the news was to think that they wasted their money. They should have designed an app that when the lights are at red (for pedestrians) the phone sends an electric shock to the owner and a message on full volume in a high pitched screaching voice "pay attention to the road you nob".

When these same ignorant phone users push in front of you in shops whilst browsing am I allowed to kick them in the nuts ....or equivelent?

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I had a bit more of a think about this since my first post and while i havnt changed my mind as to it being a waste of money and possibly raising problems in other city's; If we start encouraging people to stare at their phones more, we are litterly saying its okay not to pay full attention to what you are doing in a potentially dangerous environment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join